Dollar Tree

Started by shakethis1234, January 08, 2005, 10:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck E. Cheese

There's one in Dayville next to The Vacant Ames. Planning on going there to see if it's still vacant.

jason83080

I wonder what they're looking at, when they decide which stores to close. Will they close stores in 'depressed' areas, rundown buildings, or would the closures be to get rid of two stores in the immediate vicinity of each other? Closing down just 4 stores (I presume that the closures would be a combination of DT and FD stores, and not just one branding) in the entire Cleveland market is surprising.

MikeRa

Quote from: store215 on July 06, 2015, 10:46:08 PM
Quote from: MikeRa on July 05, 2015, 07:46:10 PM

In Philadelphia, 5 Family Dollar locations has to sold.

And oddly enough, they are being taken over by a company who is calling the divested locations 'Dollar Express'. Dollar Express was also the name of a Philadelphia area dollar store chain (along with card & gift stores called 'Spains' that were usually next to the Dollar Express stores) that Dollar Tree acquired in the early 2000's.
Here's an article about it: http://articles.philly.com/2000-04-06/business/25590801_1_dollar-express-macon-brock-dollar-tree-stores
(The Spain's stores all seemed to disappear by the mid 2000's).
The 5 Philadelphia locations are:
8445-C Frankford Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19136-2420
6587 Roosevelt Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19149-2918
2495 Aramingo Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19125-3732
2201 Oregon Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19145-4111
138 W. Chelten Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19144-3302

and this is not including stores in the 4 suburban SE PA Counties, and southern NJ.  the lone DE location is: 1709 Lancaster Ave, Wilmington, DE 19805-3926
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Hudsons81

Found the Taylor store.

14686 Telegraph Rd. Taylor MI 48180-4636

This Family Dollar is in a former Rite-Aid.

MikeRa

Dollar Tree is also set to open their replacement store for the former location at Neshaminy Mall.  the old location is now being converted into an expanded Boscov's Neshaminy.  The new location is on Neshaminy Boulevard, across from Neshaminy Mall, at Neshaminy Square.  Other tennants includes: St. Jude's Religion store, and PennDOT

JimSawhill

Quote from: retailisking on July 07, 2015, 12:28:18 AM
Here's the complete list of Family Dollar stores being sold to Sycamore Partners
http://couponsinthenews.com/2015/07/03/330-family-dollar-stores-to-be-sold-off-the-complete-list/

The 3 Tampa Stores are NOT exactly in upscale neighborhoods...The Busch Blvd is in a semi Abandoned shopping center (the plaza gets cars on Sundays because a church is there. Causeway is next to an empty Bravo Supermarket and an empty NAPA Auto store. The Florida Ave Store is in a plaza with a Home Depot Dollar Tree and Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market. I doubt those 3 will be around in 6 months...

jconsolmagno

Quote from: TheFugitive on June 29, 2015, 02:28:35 PM
Yesterday I was in Dollar Tree at the Brentwood Town Centre near Pittsburgh.
They had a sign on the door announcing they were hiring for the new Bethel Park location.

Dollar Tree has long had a store in Bethel Park, in the Walmart plaza on Route 88
between Giant Eagle and Pep Boys.  It is an older format store (long single aisle runs, no
refrigerated foods section, etc.).

I asked the manager and apparently that store is moving about 1/4 mile down the road
to the South Park Shops.   I presume into a space that was vacated by a local dollar store
chain called $1.00 Stuff that went out of business earlier this year.

I presume this will give them the room to add a refrigerated section like the other newer stores.
Though this location has much more difficult access (the entrance to a huge county park just
ahead makes it very difficult to make a left turn), and that shopping center does not draw nearly
the traffic as Walmart's plaza.

That $1.00 store you speak of was originally a Music Oasis (National Record Mart off-shoot). That store is indeed very large.

JimSawhill

Quote from: jconsolmagno on July 20, 2015, 07:14:11 PM
Quote from: TheFugitive on June 29, 2015, 02:28:35 PM
Yesterday I was in Dollar Tree at the Brentwood Town Centre near Pittsburgh.
They had a sign on the door announcing they were hiring for the new Bethel Park location.

Dollar Tree has long had a store in Bethel Park, in the Walmart plaza on Route 88
between Giant Eagle and Pep Boys.  It is an older format store (long single aisle runs, no
refrigerated foods section, etc.).

I asked the manager and apparently that store is moving about 1/4 mile down the road
to the South Park Shops.   I presume into a space that was vacated by a local dollar store
chain called $1.00 Stuff that went out of business earlier this year.

I presume this will give them the room to add a refrigerated section like the other newer stores.
Though this location has much more difficult access (the entrance to a huge county park just
ahead makes it very difficult to make a left turn), and that shopping center does not draw nearly
the traffic as Walmart's plaza.

That $1.00 store you speak of was originally a Music Oasis (National Record Mart off-shoot). That store is indeed very large.

never heard of Music Oasis..how many stores did it have? Was it local??  By the way, welcome, jconsol

MikeRa

Quote from: MikeRa on July 11, 2015, 07:52:40 PM
Dollar Tree is also set to open their replacement store for the former location at Neshaminy Mall.  the old location is now being converted into an expanded Boscov's Neshaminy.  The new location is on Neshaminy Boulevard, across from Neshaminy Mall, at Neshaminy Square.  Other tennants includes: St. Jude's Religion store, and PennDOT

This new Dollar Tree location opens this Saturday August 29, 2015 at 9AM
This is a updated pic with the Dollar Tree logo up on the building, taken 7 days from its opening:

BillyGr

That doesn't look like a huge spot (though it looks a bit bigger in the new photo showing that it wraps around the corner) - but maybe it's deeper than would be expected?

MikeRa

Quote from: MikeRa on August 23, 2015, 08:11:31 PM
Quote from: MikeRa on July 11, 2015, 07:52:40 PM
Dollar Tree is also set to open their replacement store for the former location at Neshaminy Mall.  the old location is now being converted into an expanded Boscov's Neshaminy.  The new location is on Neshaminy Boulevard, across from Neshaminy Mall, at Neshaminy Square.  Other tennants includes: St. Jude's Religion store, and PennDOT

This new Dollar Tree location opens this Saturday August 29, 2015 at 9AM
This is a updated pic with the Dollar Tree logo up on the building, taken 7 days from its opening:

Quote from: BillyGr on August 24, 2015, 07:09:24 PM
That doesn't look like a huge spot (though it looks a bit bigger in the new photo showing that it wraps around the corner) - but maybe it's deeper than would be expected?
This new store does go back on both the "Dollar Tree" signage side and the "dollar Tree" logo signage side.  this location used to be House of Fabrics (the "Dollar tree" signage side) and Q-Ball, which was a billards hall (on the "Dollar Tree" logo signage side)

ynkeesfn82

As mentioned on the Family Dollar thread the Family Dollar that opened in Southington in 2013 became Dollar Tree. This is Southington's second Dollar Tree. I finally had a chance to go there and it's much nicer than the other Dollar Tree in town which took over the old Joann's in 2005.

MikeRa

Earlier this year, Dollar Tree converted all of their Deals locations to Dollar Tree.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: MikeRa on May 21, 2016, 03:13:27 PM
Earlier this year, Dollar Tree converted all of their Deals locations to Dollar Tree.

Since Deals was similar to Family Dollar it's not surprising that they did this. Mom and I went to the Meriden Square Mall on Friday (8/19) and it was the first time I saw Deals rebranded as Dollar Tree in the adjacent Chamberlain Plaza. They still have the shopping carts and hand baskets from Deals.

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on August 21, 2016, 07:34:08 AM

Since Deals was similar to Family Dollar it's not surprising that they did this. Mom and I went to the Meriden Square Mall on Friday (8/19) and it was the first time I saw Deals rebranded as Dollar Tree in the adjacent Chamberlain Plaza. They still have the shopping carts and hand baskets from Deals.

Although it seems they should have changed them to Family Dollar stores as they were more similar to that (multiple price points) than to Dollar Tree?

giantsfan2016

When I was in Cheshire, Connecticut back in October I saw a free-standing Dollar Tree. I didn't have a camera, so I didn't get a picture.

MikeRa

Quote from: BillyGr on August 21, 2016, 01:10:09 PM
Quote from: Marc B on August 21, 2016, 07:34:08 AM

Although it seems they should have changed them to Family Dollar stores as they were more similar to that (multiple price points) than to Dollar Tree?

In NE Philadelphia, there was a Family Dollar (in a former Food Fair) store that was near a Dollar Tree (in the former Holme Theatre) and a Deals store (in a portion of an former A&P).  Dollar Tree has since closed the Family Dollar store, and the dollar Tree store that was south of the Family Dollar, and converted the Deals store to Family Dollar.  All 3 stores were/are located on Frankford Avenue

Retail Regents

Herkimer, NY has an older freestanding Dollar Tree.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: Retail Regents on May 17, 2019, 11:09:23 PM
Herkimer, NY has an older freestanding Dollar Tree.

How many freestanding locations do they have? There's a freestanding location on Route 10 (South Main Street) in Cheshire, Connecticut.

Retail Regents

Not sure. I know there's one in Geneva, NY that's also freestanding. They seem older, and have the "Everything's $1" decor inside.

BillyGr

We had a couple here.  Both built as Dollar Tree and not terribly old.

One location moved up the road a bit into a plaza with a couple others stores (PetSmart, shoe store and I think TJ Maxx) which is part of a development with Walmart, Lowes and Kohl's (those large stores are farther from the road, with the building with Dollar Tree and several other smaller buildings closer to the road).

The other one closed when the landlord raised the rent to be too high for them and still remains empty today (this was one of two freestanding buildings, the other being a bank, in a plaza with a Hannaford and several smaller stores attached to that).

Retail Regents

Is the first example Hudson by any chance? I know they had a location similar to the Geneva one near the Greenport Towne Center that is soon to be an O'Reilly Auto Parts. The way you describe the replacement location sounds like it.

I believe they're both early 2000s builds due to the fact they both have plastic United carts (Geneva's are 2001 units and Hudson's are from 2002, meaning they transferred the carts to the new one).

BillyGr

Quote from: Retail Regents on May 18, 2019, 11:47:20 PM
Is the first example Hudson by any chance? I know they had a location similar to the Geneva one near the Greenport Towne Center that is soon to be an O'Reilly Auto Parts. The way you describe the replacement location sounds like it.

I believe they're both early 2000s builds due to the fact they both have plastic United carts (Geneva's are 2001 units and Hudson's are from 2002, meaning they transferred the carts to the new one).

Yes it is!  Interesting choice on replacement, as that chain hasn't been in the area, but also that there is another auto parts store on the other side of the entry to the plaza, which seems a bit much.

Zayre88

Quote from: retailisking on May 30, 2019, 07:55:01 PM
Dollar Tree testing higher price points
https://www.dollartreeinfo.com/news-releases/news-release-details/dollar-tree-inc-reports-results-first-quarter-fiscal-2019

Dollarama up in Canada used to be all for a dollar but gradually switched to higher price points. Today the stores feels more and more like a Big Lots without furniture, small appliances and bigger items. Not much is a dollar anymore.

Meanwhile, Dollar Tree Canada markets itself as having everything at $1.25

BillyGr

Quote from: Zayre88 on May 31, 2019, 07:58:34 PM

One might suspect that is just to offset the currency variation (as $1.25 Canadian is close to $1 US most of the time recently).

Zayre88

Quote from: BillyGr on June 01, 2019, 12:01:37 PM
Quote from: Zayre88 on May 31, 2019, 07:58:34 PM

One might suspect that is just to offset the currency variation (as $1.25 Canadian is close to $1 US most of the time recently).

Indeed, plus to offset the higher minimum wage and benefits and all overall costs I'm sure.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

I think they should sell everything at prices ranging from $1.00 to $5.00, just like Five Below, but for a much older demographic. Maybe Dollar Tree should change their slogan to "Everything's $1 to $5" and sell everything at those price points.

TheFugitive

Some items they have simply quit selling because it could not be done profitably at the one dollar price point. 7lb. bags of cat litter for example.  Used to buy them all the time but they no longer stock it.  I'd still buy it at $1.25 because that's still cheaper than you can find most other places.

Everything Community

This is now one of two Dollar Tree stores in Vernon, CT! Since they & Family Dollar bond together in business, it makes sense to have a Dollar Tree & Family Dollar in the same plaza. In this case, there's a combination in the Rockville section of Vernon in the Windsor Avenue plaza (next to the former Veggie World (soon to be occupied by the Rockville Pharmacy, a local pharmacy moving out of their original store on West Main St. in downtown Rockville across the street on high-end from those historic buildings), so that makes two businesses come along the path this year).