Dollar Tree

Started by shakethis1234, January 08, 2005, 10:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

The New Dollar Tree in Plainville, Connecticut is open. It's really nice. Much nicer than their 9 year old store in Southington which as of yesterday had a major problem with the roof leaking. The one in Plainville doesn't have carpet. It has flooring like their sister store Deal$.

ynkeesfn82

Dollar Tree has bought Family Dollar for $8.5 Billion. The sale is expected to close early next year.

http://www.necn.com/07/28/14/Dollar-Tree-buying-Family-Dollar-for-85B/landing_business.html?blockID=869748&feedID=11106

TheFugitive

Curious as those stores have rather different formats.
Though I suppose efficiencies gained in sharing the supply chain may benefit both.

If not this could be a mini version of the Ames-Zayre train wreck.

TheFugitive

I wonder if Dollar Tree is going to pay off the whole $8.5 billion in
one dollar bills?    ???

buzz86us

I think this is a smart decision bringing low-cost merchandise to people in the impoverished areas that Family Dollar serves though that leads the question will these be dollar tree plus type establishments?

MikeRa

Quote from: buzz86us on July 28, 2014, 12:56:25 PM
I think this is a smart decision bringing low-cost merchandise to people in the impoverished areas that Family Dollar serves though that leads the question will these be dollar tree plus type establishments?
I wouldn't be surprised in Dollar Tree renames the Family Dollar stores to Deals
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

BillyGr

Quote from: MikeRa on July 28, 2014, 01:28:41 PM
I wouldn't be surprised in Dollar Tree renames the Family Dollar stores to Deals

Would make sense as the Deals stores are somewhat limited (at least in this area) and they are much more similar to a Family $ type (with multi price points).

jason83080

EIGHT AND A HALF BILLION DOLLARS...  :o

I'd be all for expanding the "Deal$" brand, but those should be in larger stores, IMO. I've been to two different ones - one that was built in half of an old Sun TV store, and another that was clearly an old-form Dollar Tree that had a new logo and some new signage put up in a past life - and the one in the old Sun TV was nicer to walk through. The smaller one was rather cramped.

The downside? Less competition in the "Dollar"-store market.

The upside? Those run-down dingy Family Dollar stores will either be extensively renovated/sanitized or relocated to new buildings.

Hudsons81

After this, I wonder what Dollar Tree will do to the Family Dollar at 165 Maple Street in Wyandotte, Michigan-that is a small store in what used to be a Rite Aid (and possibly a Perry Drugs before that).

TheFugitive

Quote from: MikeRa on July 28, 2014, 01:28:41 PM
That would be a smart move IMO, in that the general public seems to have Dollar General and Family Dollar
thoroughly confused, which causes people to refer to them interchangeably.

I have long noted that Family Dollar has stores in some of the roughest areas of Pittsburgh.
Particularly a neighborhood called Mount Oliver (for which the French Government actually put out
an official travel warning to their citizens not to go there!)

I noted recently that a Dollar Tree has just opened for business a few blocks up the street
from the Mount Oliver Family Dollar store.   Hmmmmmm....... ???

retailisking

I think the Deal$ banner is a goner, to be replaced by either Family Dollar or Dollar Tree depending on location. Dollar Tree has already indicated that some DT locations could flip to FD and vice versa. Think about it: Family Dollar is much more ubiquitous, and it doesn't make sense to operate three banners when they can operate two instead.

EddieJ1984

You go with the name that is more known, so I would think Family Dollar would be kept.
Also there's 8,100+ family dollars as opposed to only around 200 Deal$ stores, so yea it would make sense to just keep the Family Dollar name as that would be alot of money to change all those family dollars to deal$.

MikeRa

Quote from: retailisking on July 31, 2014, 12:07:37 AM
I think the Deal$ banner is a goner, to be replaced by either Family Dollar or Dollar Tree depending on location. Dollar Tree has already indicated that some DT locations could flip to FD and vice versa. Think about it: Family Dollar is much more ubiquitous, and it doesn't make sense to operate three banners when they can operate two instead.
I will have to agree.

TheFugitive

Yet I have worked for companies that have gone in the precise opposite direction.

The general public confusion over too many chains with the word "dollar" in their name is real.

MikeRa

One of the Deals locations in Philadelphia, (Store #4624), located at 31 West Girard Avenue, started out as Jumbo Theatre.

ynkeesfn82

The Dollar Tree in Southington, Connecticut (formerly Joann's - their first location in Southington) ripped out their carpeting a couple months ago and replaced it with flooring. It's the second Dollar Tree I've seen with flooring instead of carpeting. The first being the new Dollar Tree in Plainville, Connecticut.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on January 06, 2015, 09:46:23 AM
The Dollar Tree in Southington, Connecticut (formerly Joann's - their first location in Southington) ripped out their carpeting a couple months ago and replaced it with flooring. It's the second Dollar Tree I've seen with flooring instead of carpeting. The first being the new Dollar Tree in Plainville, Connecticut.

The Dollar Tree in Elmwood/West Hartford which opened a few years ago has the cement flooring. Last time I went to the one in Newington, they had the carpeting. The carpeting gets worn out after a while. To add to that, Dollar Tree personnel must not maintain carpets regularly.

ynkeesfn82

They opened one in New Britain in Columbus Plaza on Columbus BLVD. It's located next to Price-Rite (formerly Stop & Shop) in a spot that was most recently home to a junk store called JEMBRO. Prior to Jembro the spot was a CVS which located to a new freestanding location on the other side of Columbus BLVD where the Courthouse used to be.

MikeRa

Quote from: MikeRa on November 20, 2012, 07:44:25 PM
Here is a pic of the Dollar Tree at Neshaminy Mall.  it is located in the Boscov's (Lit Brothers/Pomeroy's/The Bon-Ton) wing of the mall.  Next to it is a Radio Shack that has been the mall since 1974.

this Dollar Tree location closed as of 6/11/2015, and is moving across the street to the Neshaminy Square Shopping Center.  This new location will open in late July of this year.

Hudsons81

Quote from: MikeRa on June 12, 2015, 07:52:46 PM
Here is a pic of the Dollar Tree at Neshaminy Mall.  it is located in the Boscov's (Lit Brothers/Pomeroy's/The Bon-Ton) wing of the mall.  Next to it is a Radio Shack that has been the mall since 1974.

this Dollar Tree location closed as of 6/11/2015, and is moving across the street to the Neshaminy Square Shopping Center.  This new location will open in late July of this year.

Has that Radio Shack closed too?

MikeRa

Quote from: Hudsons81 on June 12, 2015, 09:18:38 PM
Quote from: MikeRa on June 12, 2015, 07:52:46 PM

Has that Radio Shack closed too?
It is now in it's final days, with items at 70% to 80% discount

TheFugitive

Yesterday I was in Dollar Tree at the Brentwood Town Centre near Pittsburgh.
They had a sign on the door announcing they were hiring for the new Bethel Park location.

Dollar Tree has long had a store in Bethel Park, in the Walmart plaza on Route 88
between Giant Eagle and Pep Boys.  It is an older format store (long single aisle runs, no
refrigerated foods section, etc.).

I asked the manager and apparently that store is moving about 1/4 mile down the road
to the South Park Shops.   I presume into a space that was vacated by a local dollar store
chain called $1.00 Stuff that went out of business earlier this year.

I presume this will give them the room to add a refrigerated section like the other newer stores.
Though this location has much more difficult access (the entrance to a huge county park just
ahead makes it very difficult to make a left turn), and that shopping center does not draw nearly
the traffic as Walmart's plaza.

retailisking

Specific stores are not identified, but this is the clearest indication yet
https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/cases/150702dollartreeanalysis.pdf

Hudsons81

Quote from: retailisking on July 02, 2015, 04:53:36 PM

Taylor, MI is the closest one to me on that list.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Hudsons81 on July 02, 2015, 06:27:33 PM
Quote from: retailisking on July 02, 2015, 04:53:36 PM

Taylor, MI is the closest one to me on that list.

I wonder if some stores will close in Tampa...

retailisking

Quote from: JimSawhill on July 03, 2015, 10:13:01 PM
I wonder if some stores will close in Tampa...

According to the list three Tampa stores will have to be divested; who knows how many will succeed as Dollar Express stores? Consider the math: According to Wikipedia there are 8,100 Family Dollar stores and 4,900 Dollar Tree stores. Subtract 330 divestitures and the combined DT/FD still has 12,670 stores. How are 330 stores going to effectively compete?

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on July 03, 2015, 10:35:40 PM
According to the list three Tampa stores will have to be divested; who knows how many will succeed as Dollar Express stores? Consider the math: According to Wikipedia there are 8,100 Family Dollar stores and 4,900 Dollar Tree stores. Subtract 330 divestitures and the combined DT/FD still has 12,670 stores. How are 330 stores going to effectively compete?

Just depends on who is running them and how much they know about it.  After all, there are still some independent $ stores out there and other small chains (like Just a Buck here in parts of NY) so they could work, assuming those in charge know what they are doing.  Also they might be able to get deals on some things that the bigger chains wouldn't want (like a closeout on something with only a small quantity that would be too little for 10,000+ stores but just fine for 300+).

MikeRa

The combined Dollar Tree/Family Dollar has to sell only 330 Family Dollar locations to Sycamore Partners. 

According to the FTC, “discount general merchandise retail stores” refers to dollar stores and the retailer Walmart.  The term “dollar stores” as used here includes stores operated by Respondents, Dollar General, 99 Cents Only, and
Fred’s Super Dollar. Independently-owned retailers that sell discounted merchandise at the $1 or multi-price point
in substantially smaller stores are not included

In Philadelphia, 5 Family Dollar locations has to sold.

store215

Quote from: MikeRa on July 05, 2015, 07:46:10 PM

In Philadelphia, 5 Family Dollar locations has to sold.

And oddly enough, they are being taken over by a company who is calling the divested locations 'Dollar Express'. Dollar Express was also the name of a Philadelphia area dollar store chain (along with card & gift stores called 'Spains' that were usually next to the Dollar Express stores) that Dollar Tree acquired in the early 2000's.
Here's an article about it: http://articles.philly.com/2000-04-06/business/25590801_1_dollar-express-macon-brock-dollar-tree-stores
(The Spain's stores all seemed to disappear by the mid 2000's).

retailisking

Here's the complete list of Family Dollar stores being sold to Sycamore Partners
http://couponsinthenews.com/2015/07/03/330-family-dollar-stores-to-be-sold-off-the-complete-list/