Southington, Connecticut

Started by Marc82, February 13, 2007, 11:56:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc82

I know I said I'd wait, but I can't wait any longer. I know he's been busy, but like I said I can't wait any longer. Besides it's been 5 or 6 days.

On Thursday of last week XISMZERO and I went to the Southington Public library to do some research about retail in Southington (particularly on Route 10 aka Queen Street). Here's is what we found out. (Some of the info is from the article and some is my own commentary thrown in).

The first shopping plaza built on Route 10 was The Southington Parkade. It opened in 1960. It was considered to be state-of-the-art. The major tenant there was a local department store known as Madison's. (or G.E. Madison). Madison's closed down in 1980 and a First National Stores opened a supermarket there. In the mid to late 80s FINAST as they were known changed to Edward's Superfood Store. In 1996 the Souhtington Edward's was sold to Shaw's Supermarket and on October 28, 2006 Shaw's closed its doors for good. The article mentions that the plaza was last renovated in 1990, which leads me to wonder, how did it get run-down in only 15 years? (When I started working at that Plaza it was late 2004). The plaza no longer uses the name Soutington Parkade. In the last couple decade's it used the name of the supermarket as the name of the plaza - Edward's Plaza and then Shaw's Plaza. Currently there are 3 vacancies. The large former Shaw's store, the new space created when they subdivided the former KB Toys, so Citibank could open a branch, and the Strawberrie's CD Store which closed down like 2 weeks ago.

The next shopping plaza to be built on Queen Street was Queen Plaza located on the other side of Queen Street from The Southington Parkade, but about a 1/4 mile up the road going towards the Plainville line. The plaza was built in 1969 and featured a Zayre's. Other past tenants included a small movie theatre (where Dollar Tree is located today), Shoprite (where TJ MAXX is located today), and Carvel Ice Cream (near the theatre) (where the nail salon is now). There was also a free-standing Pizza Hut Dine-in Restaurant. Zayre's became AMES around 1990 and The Queen Plaza recieved a major facelift in 2003-2005. Currently the plaza has one vacancy (the former Dollar Tree. Dollar Tree opened in the former Joann's in 2005). The former Zayre's/AMES was divided into Bed, Bath, Beyond and Bob's Discount Furniture. It's now owned by Boston based Samules and Associates Realty.

KMART and Caldor both opened in 1973. KMART was located in a free standing building about a mile down Route 10 from The Southington Parkade. Two people I work with at Price Chopper worked at KMART. In addition a lady I worked with at Shaw's worked there as did XISMZERO's Mother.  KMART closed its doors in 2002 and is now the second largest Price Chopper in Connecitcut.

Caldor was in a shopping center known as Caldor Village.  It was about a 1/4 mile from KMART on the opposite side of the street. Up until its dying day in 1999, this Caldor sported the old skool "Rainbow Logo and the Orange and Brown paint job inside". A supermarket known as Village IGA was located in the plaza until 1981, when Waldbaum's moved from The Southington Parkade. Waldbaum's became a SuperFood mart and closed it's doors in 1997. SuperFoodMart was subdivided into Namco, Connecituct Lighting Center, and Southington Wine & Spirts. Caldor is now a Walmart. This center is now owned by Long Island based Cedar Shopping Centers Inc, and has 4 vacancies.

In 1996 a vacant Industrial Site on the corner of Queen Street and Spring Street was ripped down and replaced by a Chilis and a Staples.

That's it for now at least until XISMZERO has the time to upload the pictures he photo copied from the newspaper article.

Anonymous

reguarding the Queen Plaza. I remember there was also a Mr. Steak towards the Plainville side of the property.