JM Fields

Started by Anonymous, February 17, 2005, 08:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

DISCUSS!

Zayre88

Here is an original JM Fields store

dooneyt63

JM Fields was the discount department store division of Food Fair Stores.  They were distinctively styled buildings usually accompanied by a Food Fair, JM Fields Food, or Pantry Pride store.  Florida had many JM Fields/Pantry Pride combos.  JM Fields was a very complete department store, even handling major appliances.  It had car repair, in-store snack counters, pharmacies; it was arranged much like a regular department store.

Caldor1999

yea Kmart Bradlees and Caldor took over many fomer Locations and they still keeped the outside intack
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
yea Kmart Bradlees and Caldor took over many fomer Locations and they still keeped the outside intack

I believe the Bradlees (Now Wal-Mart) in Norristown Pa. was a J.M. Fields.

Zayre88

The former Bradlees / JM Fields in Concord NH.  A picture of july 2004 but the store is still there today.  

Recent news are that Lowe's will open a store there, meaning that this old JM Fields will be demolished soon !!

storehistoryguy

My grandmother always used to call it Jimmy Fields. She has an Italian accent so it came out that way. :insane::insane: I happened to pass by the Bensalem K Mart today which was a J.M. Fields. It still has the J.M. Fields arches.

storehistoryguy

Another view of Concord NH. J.M. Fields that became Bradlees.

©Zayre88

storehistoryguy

The one in Bedford NH. became a Caldor.

©Zayre88

storehistoryguy

About the old Tampa, Florida Fields, does anyone know where I could get a picture of that building or where that building was today?:question:

JimSawhill

QuoteOriginally posted by Anonymous
DISCUSS!

JM Field's?? Boy that was a nice chain! I remembered on in my town until it closed in 1976. It was in a shopping center with Stop & Shop, a drug store, Woolworth's with a snack bar and an office building (with a few banks).
     The last time I saw the plaza --  the JM Fields was  a furniture Store, woolworth was a huge pet shop, the old drug store was a pawn shop and the Stop & Shop was empty (after Walgreen's left when they built a new store).

storehistoryguy

My painting of a J.M. Fields.

d_fife

the bradlees in Newington NH that is now Kohl's, the Caldor in Chelmsford mass that is now wal-mart and used to be a J.M. Fields. tje building 19 in natick was J.M. Fields.

Caldor1999

were theee any in NY
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
were theee any in NY

I think so.

tomasher

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
This one later became a K Mart which is also closed today.

http://www.geocities.com/zayre88/P_jmfield.html

This picture (and the others) have answered the question that has bugged me for most of my 28 years on this earth.

I see a few of these around every now and then, and I never knew what they were.  The Pantry Pride connection makes sense.  Thank you all for enlightening me!

ameskmart1

J.M. Fields credit card
Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

Anonymous

For some reason I cant see those pictures of the Tampa store. There is one of those buildings in Tampa still standing. I knew it a Zayre as far back as 1984 but, its just like the others. When Ames closed the place sat empty for a long while. It is now Florida Dept of Childrens & Families.  still looks the same.  It is located on N. Florida ave. in Tampa.  Thanks, Dwayne

MikeRa

Out here in the Philadelphia area, we had a few JM Fields/Food Fair-Pantry Pride combos as well.  The location that was near my house was at Street & Hulmeville Road, Bensalem (Now a K Mart/Old Country Buffet/Save A Lot location)
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

MikeRa

A few more JM Fields/Food Fair-Pantry Pride combo stores in the Philadelphia area:

[list=1]
  • West Deptford NJ: Route 45 & Parkville Station Road
  • Strafford NJ: White Horse Pike (became Jefferson Ward and Bradlees)
  • Delran NJ: Millside Center, Route 130 North (became K Mart.  Demolished & replaced by Target)
  • Cherry Hill NJ: Church & Lenope
  • East Norriton, PA: Germantown Pike & DeKlab
  • Philadelphia, PA: Bustelton Avenue, at the Leo Mall (The JM Fields building has since been demolished and replaced by The Home Depot, while the Food Fair-Pantry Pride building is still standing)
  • Strafford PA: Lancaster Avenue & Sugartown Road
  • [/list=1]
    :cool:

videogamer75

I have a pic of the Stratford, NJ location on Flickr and in Bradlees thread. It is now used as a medical center, but they still have the Bradlees logo up on the road sign :roll:

Also there's Ventnor, NJ: Became Bradlees, now Peebles and Dollar Tree. I guess the Pathmark to the left of it was the Pantry Pride.

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
I have a pic of the Stratford, NJ location on Flickr and in Bradlees thread. It is now used as a medical center, but they still have the Bradlees logo up on the road sign :roll:

Also there's Ventnor, NJ: Became Bradlees, now Peebles and Dollar Tree. I guess the Pathmark to the left of it was the Pantry Pride.

I doubt the Bradlees/Jefferson Ward in Stratford was ever a J.M. Fields. Perhaps it was a Two Guys, or maybe Almart.

videogamer75

I know that it probably wasn't a J.M.F. because the plaza had a Penn Fruit supermarket from the start. I was just mentioning that I had pics of the store.

Does anyone know anything about Almart? When I look it up, it of course redirects me to pages about Wal-Mart.

Mobil

I know that it probably wasn't a J.M.F. because the plaza had a Penn Fruit supermarket from the start. I was just mentioning that I had pics of the store.

Does anyone know anything about Almart? When I look it up, it of course redirects me to pages about Wal-Mart.

There was one at Concord Mall in Wilmington, opened in 1965. The actual mall was added in 1969. The Almart closed and became Jefferson Ward at some point, then was Bradlees for a brief time in the late 80's, and was torn down. There was a Sears built on the site in 1992.

There was another Almart in Wilmington on Kirkwood Highway that became Jefferson Ward, then Bradlees, then Clover, and is now Kohl's.

videogamer75

Where there Almarts in Jersey?

Mobil

Where there Almarts in Jersey?

I have no idea. They were based in NY. I have never heard of Almarts in PA, or when they closed.

MikeRa

Two Guys was never in Strattford, NJ.  Also, Jefferson Ward was known to have the original frontage of buildings removed and then added their own.  this was done with the former Two Guys at Roosevelt Blvd & Red Lion Road, in Philadelphia, so I would have to assume they did it here as well.

Also, this JM Fields was built as a standalone store, since Food Fair was already in this shopping center firs as Food Fair and then as Pantry Pride.  The JM Fields and Pantry Pride both closed in 1979

JM Fields already was operating 33 stores in New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Virginia, South Carolina and Florida before they were acquired by Food Fair on 8/14/1961.  It leaves me to guess that the JM Fields in Strattford, NJ was one of those stores that was already open before being acquired by Food Fair.

jmcnamara96

What no pics of the former caldor jm fields in bedford now a stop and shop

Zayre88

Former JM FIelds in Concord NH (in July 2004).

[size=-2]Note that some pictures taken from my website and linked to posts here may dissapear as i'm currently moving out my files and website.[/size]

gu4ever

This is exactly what the J.M. Fields looked like prior to Caldor taking over the property in Bedford, NH. From local sources once Caldor acquired the property they began renovations to remove the main store entrance to the left of the arches. They added a glass windowed lobby beneath the arches, with the new entrance leading out to the covered side walk to the left and right side of the stone arched facade.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.