Connecticut Commons aka Plainville Commons Plainville, CT

Started by ynkeesfn82, June 10, 2013, 12:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

The Connecticut Commons (called The Plainville Commons by the locals) is a large shopping center at 200-284 New Britain Avenue (Route 372) in Plainville, Connecticut. It was built in the mid-late 90s by Wimorite and is currently owned by DDR - Developer's Diversified Realty. It was built on land that was abandoned for years that at one time had a drive-in movie theater, a race-track, Mars Dept Store, a bank, Roller Palace Skating Rink, and not sure what else on it. Wilmorite originally wanted to build an enclosed mall on the property, but couldn't get the state of Connecticut to move the I-84 on and off ramps.

Businesses formerly located in the Connecticut Commons included: Big KMART, Levitz Furniture, KB Toy Works, and Linens N Things.

Current list of Business:

Building 1:
            Kohl's (closest to the Route 72 Exit 2 Off/On Ramps)

Building 2 (to the left of Kohls):

Vacant (Formerly Linen's N Things) Was used for about 2 months for a WholeSale Liquidation Sale in early 2013. Part of space used for Spirit Halloween Several Years in a row.

Famous Footwear

Vacant (Formerly KB Toys and then Sleepy's).

*Note they're currently working on Building 2*

Building 3:
           AMC Theater (Signs still say Loew's Theater)

Building 4:
           Lowe's

Building 5: (Right to Left)

DSW Shoes (formerly Big KMART)

Dick's Sporting Goods (Formerly Big KMART)

PetSmart (Formerly Big KMART)

Imperial Buffet

AC Moore

Old Navy

Vacant (Formerly part of Larger Old Navy)

Marshall's (Formerly Levitz Furniture)

Sleepy's (Formerly Levitz Furniture. Was once used as Toys R Us Express)

Pad 1:
     Friendly's

Pad 2: McDonald's

Pad 3: Applebee's

http://ddr.com/properties/USA/Connecticut/Plainville/Connecticut%20Commons/21354

Note: The square footage of Old Navy shown is from before they divided the store up. The Vacant Space made up by the division is not shown.

In my opinion Bob's Clothing should take the former Linen's N Things Spot. Or Ross Dress For Less Should open their first Connecticut location there.

AmesNewington

I liked the Kmart in Plainville. It was brand new and the location was perfect.

ynkeesfn82

Facade works continues on building #2 where LNT used to be, Famous Footwear is, and Sleepy's used to be. So far I haven't heard anything regarding what if anything will be occupying this space. In addition no work has been done on the vacant space that used to be part of Old Navy.

ynkeesfn82

What I would do is take Old Navy, the vacant space that used to be part of Old Navy, Marshall's and Sleepy's and combine them into a Marshall's Home-Goods Combo Store. Then I would reconfigure building #2 and put Old Navy and Sleepy's there, and obviously move Famous Footwear. There would still be some empty space in the old LNT, but it would be somewhat smaller.

ynkeesfn82

Ulta Beauty will be opening in the former Sleepy's next to Famous Footwear. This spot was originally KB Toys. It also looks like they're dividing up the old Linen's & Things.

ynkeesfn82

They have divided the former Linen's & Things into 4 spaces.  One space is going to be a Charming Charlie Clothing Store. A second space (although not show on the Siteplan yet) is going to be 5 Below.  They still didn't change the size of the Old Navy yet on the site plan. There is also a rumor that yet another clothing store is going to open as well. It's called Justice.

ynkeesfn82

5 Below, Ulta Beauty, and Charming Charlie are all open now. Justice is or is going to open in the 8,000 Square Feet that was created when Old Navy downsized. There are two vacancies in the plaza. Both are part of the old Linens & Things. One is 6,910 Square Feet in between Charming Charlie and 5 Below and the other is 15,503 Sqaure Feet in back of Charming Charlie.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on October 20, 2013, 11:12:45 AM
5 Below, Ulta Beauty, and Charming Charlie are all open now. Justice is or is going to open in the 8,000 Square Feet that was created when Old Navy downsized. There are two vacancies in the plaza. Both are part of the old Linens & Things. One is 6,910 Square Feet in between Charming Charlie and 5 Below and the other is 15,503 Sqaure Feet in back of Charming Charlie.

All right, I lied. Charming Charlie hasn't opened yet. Not sure on an opening date yet. Today was the first time I've been to the plaza since July.

ynkeesfn82

One vacancy left as Dollar Tree is taking the 15,000 square foot space created when they reconfigured the old Linens N Things. The last remaining empty space is a 6900 foot spot that also was part of LNT.

ynkeesfn82

Dollar Tree opened the 3rd week of February. They didn't take the entire 15,503 square Feet. The took only 11,392 square feet. The remaining Part of it - 4,111 square feet became landlord space. The remaining vacancy of 6,910 Square Foot Space is being divided. The fancy clothing store for men - Jos. A Bank is taking 4,430 Square feet leaving a 2,480 square foot vacancy. I didn't expect them to the divide the space again. Also Justice only took 4,000 square feet of the entire 8,000 Sqaure Feet made when Old Navy downsized. I guess the back of that is also landlord space.

ynkeesfn82

AT&T is taking the last vacant spot in The Plainville Commons.  >:(

Too bad. It would've been a good location for one of those burger chains or a Forgurt place.

giantsfan2016

2 vacancies in this plaza now. 4,300+ square feet that was created when DSW downsized. And 8,800+ square feet that used to be Imperial Buffet.

danfifepsu

giantsfan2016

Quote from: danfifepsu on December 16, 2016, 12:11:53 AM
how come Kmart couldnt make it?

They closed in 2005 or 2006. (I want to say they closed in '05. I remember my Dad taking me there on Thanksgiving Day 2004 to buy an Eminem CD that was at a super cheap price). My guess is that there was probably a lot of shoplifters there as the KOHL's in the same plaza is the most shop-lifted store in that plaza. The Plainville KMART closing was the last KMART in that area as stores in neighboring Southington and Bristol both closed in '03.

danfifepsu

Quote from: Marc B on December 16, 2016, 07:38:26 AM
Quote from: danfifepsu on December 16, 2016, 12:11:53 AM
how come Kmart couldnt make it?

They closed in 2005 or 2006. (I want to say they closed in '05. I remember my Dad taking me there on Thanksgiving Day 2004 to buy an Eminem CD that was at a super cheap price). My guess is that there was probably a lot of shoplifters there as the KOHL's in the same plaza is the most shop-lifted store in that plaza. The Plainville KMART closing was the last KMART in that area as stores in neighboring Southington and Bristol both closed in '03.

what the H was wrong w the CT area for Kmart? and one in Norwalk closed long ago long ago long ago prob in the early 1990s or 1980s evem

giantsfan2016

According to the landlord's website Bath and Body Works is opening in the space created when DSW downsized. One vacancy remains - the old Imperial Buffet. I was just at the plaza on Monday. It's still set up as a restaurant.