A&P

Started by Caldor99, January 07, 2005, 08:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whoser

Stopped by a NJ location while on my roadtrip; Got a few images of its Store closing sale. This location was near(or in) Hazlet.

EddieJ1984

Taken from someone on facebook about 2 a&p owned stores within a few blocks of each other.
For those of you who may not know: Food Basics (Frankford & Academy) on November 20, 2015. Pathmark,(Frankford & Megargee).down the street on December 17, 2015: will be closing.

Interesting since that particular pathmark hasn't appeared on any of the lists of stores slated to close yet.

mjb1124

The North Brunswick, NJ store (one of the "Tier 2" stores that were not immediately slated to be closed or sold) will be closing this Sunday.

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/south-brunswick-cranbury/categories/news/articles/north-brunswick-a-and-p-joins-pathmark-on-list-of-clo

Joeg

I think the A&P in Danbury, CT was sold to Shop Rite.  They will have stores in Brookfield and Danbury.  They will be operated by the family that owns Shop Rite of Norwalk CT.

ynkeesfn82

A&P is now selling its brands i.e. A&P, Waldbaum's, Pathmark, etc.

http://supermarketnews.com/ap-bankruptcy-2015/ap-puts-brand-data-block

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on October 24, 2015, 08:30:40 AM
A&P is now selling its brands i.e. A&P, Waldbaum's, Pathmark, etc.

http://supermarketnews.com/ap-bankruptcy-2015/ap-puts-brand-data-block

Perhaps if someone at Albertsons/Safeway is paying attention they could pick up the A&P name - after all since that merger and their purchase of many A&P locations they are probably the closest to what A&P was in it's best times - a company with stores from the Atlantic to the Pacific.
Perhaps it could be converted into some kind of new "specialty" brand for their stores.

TheFugitive

Is there any value to A&P's brands at this point?
It's been a long time since they were a major player anywhere but New Jersey.
Other than Eight O'clock Coffee (which was spun-off many years ago) how many still
have consumer loyalty?  At least among those younger than 80?

Last time I was in one of their stores was in Michigan circa 1990.
The A&P brand I recall from my childhood when they were in Pittsburgh was
Ann Page (AP, get it?)  My grandparents bought their peanut butter all the time.

ynkeesfn82

In my family my Mom did the grocery shopping. For a while she went to Shoprite all the time. Then she switched to Stop & Shop. Then she started going through the sales circulars and started going to had the most on sale of what we needed. In my hometown of Bristol, Connecticut we had Shoprite, Waldbaum's Foodmart, Stop & Shop, and in 95 those three were joined by Shaw's. These days Mom still goes through the sales circulars every week. Southington has Shoprite, Stop & Shop, and Price Chopper and one time recently we went to all three since none of the three stores had everything we needed on sale. A lot of times though she'll just shop at Shoprite because it's the closest. It's about a 3 minute drive. (Well now it's about a 5 or 6 minute drive because the street that leads to Route 10 [where all the stores are] is closed until December for bridge replacement).

For a time when I live on my own I lived in the West End of Bristol I would go to Price Chopper or Stop & Shop out of shear convenience. A couple times I'd went up to Shoprite in Waterbury. The Bristol store and Waterbury store were probably the same distance from where I lived, but the Waterbury store was easier to get to. Less traffic.

BillyGr

Quote from: TheFugitive on October 26, 2015, 10:52:22 AM
Is there any value to A&P's brands at this point?

Good question - probably more from a historical/nostalgia value then anything, but then again it wouldn't be the first time someone has made that work.

Quote from: TheFugitive on October 26, 2015, 10:52:22 AM
The A&P brand I recall from my childhood when they were in Pittsburgh was
Ann Page (AP, get it?)  My grandparents bought their peanut butter all the time.

I think so!  You mean like this one? ;)

store215

I don't think any of A&P's brands have much value, IMO. I don't really see anyone buying the names to put on grocery stores. Even the general conciseness on online comments regarding A&P closure sseems to be 'good riddance'.

EddieJ1984

Here's the Frankford Ave location in Northeast Philadelphia, sad to see this closing as I have memories of going to it throughout my life ever since I was a kid.

FitchMike26

Quote from: EddieJ1984 on October 28, 2015, 07:11:36 AM
Here's the Frankford Ave location in Northeast Philadelphia, sad to see this closing as I have memories of going to it throughout my life ever since I was a kid.

FitchMike26 wrote:
Shouldn't this be posted under Pathmark, instead of A&P?

EddieJ1984

I guess I just figured it could go in here since pathmark is part of a&p and a&p is closing all their stores, even the ones that didn't appear on the list of stores to close.

MikeRa

The only stores that A&P owns that will still be open after 11/25 will be the Best Cellars and A&P Wine and Spirits stores
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

AmesNewington

Quote from: MikeRa on November 25, 2015, 12:17:24 AM
The only stores that A&P owns that will still be open after 11/25 will be the Best Cellars and A&P Wine and Spirits stores

Any idea what's going on with the liquor stores? Wonder if they will be sold and kept open or just close after the holidays.

MikeRa

I just checked, and as of 11/29/2015, the following A&P stores remains, besides the Best Cellars and A&P Wine & Spirits:

A&P: 230 SAW MILL ROAD, MILLWOOD, NY 10546
Pathmark: 2730 ARTHUR KILL RD., STATEN ISLAND, NY 10309
Pathmark: 111-10 FLATLANDS AVENUE, BROOKLYN, NY 11207
Waldbaum's: 6400 AMBOY RD., TOTTENVILLE, NY 10309
Food Basics: 1425 KENNEDY BLVD, NORTH BERGEN, NJ 0704
Food Basics: 2185 COYLE ST, BROOKLYN, NY 11229
The Food Emporium: 280 Elm Street, New Canaan, CT 06840
The Food Emporium: 2415 Broadway, New York, NY 10024
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

standa

Quote from: MikeRa on November 29, 2015, 06:43:19 PM
I just checked, and as of 11/29/2015, the following A&P stores remains, besides the Best Cellars and A&P Wine & Spirits:

A&P: 230 SAW MILL ROAD, MILLWOOD, NY 10546
Pathmark: 2730 ARTHUR KILL RD., STATEN ISLAND, NY 10309
Pathmark: 111-10 FLATLANDS AVENUE, BROOKLYN, NY 11207
Waldbaum's: 6400 AMBOY RD., TOTTENVILLE, NY 10309
Food Basics: 1425 KENNEDY BLVD, NORTH BERGEN, NJ 0704
Food Basics: 2185 COYLE ST, BROOKLYN, NY 11229
The Food Emporium: 280 Elm Street, New Canaan, CT 06840
The Food Emporium: 2415 Broadway, New York, NY 10024

I believe the New Canaan, CT store is now an ACME.
See photo:

BillyGr

And per Acme Style, all the sites now show no locations left.

Time to play tA&Ps for them :)

Also FYI - In case anyone was looking, I spotted some cases of America's Choice pasta sauce at the Ocean State Job Lots here in Valatie (NY) today.  Didn't see any other items, but then again I wasn't looking for them.

Hudsons81

Quote from: BillyGr on November 30, 2015, 07:06:06 PM
And per Acme Style, all the sites now show no locations left.

Time to play tA&Ps for them :)

Also FYI - In case anyone was looking, I spotted some cases of America's Choice pasta sauce at the Ocean State Job Lots here in Valatie (NY) today.  Didn't see any other items, but then again I wasn't looking for them.

Reminds me of a Flickr photo I saw about a year or two ago of an America's Choice product being sold at Meijer, taken shortly after Farmer Jack's own closure.

Bdubs

Quote from: AmesNewington on November 25, 2015, 09:08:16 AM
Quote from: MikeRa on November 25, 2015, 12:17:24 AM

Any idea what's going on with the liquor stores? Wonder if they will be sold and kept open or just close after the holidays.

I heard BevMax put in bids for the majority of them. There were a few exceptions like Mystic Ct, where they share a building with Cvs. Cvs put in a bid to purchase the store pretty much just to expand their store and put in a drive thru, they want nothing to do with the liquor store, but desperately want to expand.

Bdubs

I stopped into the former A&P in the Greeneville section of Norwich today. It's now an independently owned store called Starrwood Market. This A&P closed probably in the mid to late 90s.
I am guessing it hasn't changed much since it was an A&P. All of the logos and color scheme inside are all similar to what an old A&P once was. Their shopping carts were also the old Super Foodmart carts with the engraved SF on the bottom of the baskets. It's like time stood still there, very odd.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Bdubs on December 14, 2015, 07:39:42 PM
I stopped into the former A&P in the Greeneville section of Norwich today. It's now an independently owned store called Starrwood Market. This A&P closed probably in the mid to late 90s.
I am guessing it hasn't changed much since it was an A&P. All of the logos and color scheme inside are all similar to what an old A&P once was. Their shopping carts were also the old Super Foodmart carts with the engraved SF on the bottom of the baskets. It's like time stood still there, very odd.

Was it a Colonial style A&P? In Avon on Route 44, there is an old A&P which was Fitzgerald...I'm not sure if it's  there, but it was nice...

giantsfan2016

A couple of my co-workers at Stop & Shop on Pine Street in Bristol also work at the A&P Liquor Store in the same plaza.  They tell us that the A&P Liquor Store has been sold. Also a fellow member of this board whom I correspond with on Facebook sometimes tells me that that the A&P Liquor Store in the Fenn Road Stop & Shop Plaza in Newington has closed.

Bdubs

Quote from: Marc B on September 26, 2016, 03:26:32 PM
A couple of my co-workers at Stop & Shop on Pine Street in Bristol also work at the A&P Liquor Store in the same plaza.  They tell us that the A&P Liquor Store has been sold. Also a fellow member of this board whom I correspond with on Facebook sometimes tells me that that the A&P Liquor Store in the Fenn Road Stop & Shop Plaza in Newington has closed.

Here is a list of the liquor stores which were purchased at a liquidation auction last month. The purchase price of some of the stores are quite low. I believe there were 9 stores that were operating until July. The ones that did not sell were forced to close.

https://cases.primeclerk.com/aptea/Home-DownloadPDF?id1=NDM2NDUz&id2=0

retailisking

An analysis of what happened to A&P's customer base post-liquidation
http://supermarketnews.com/blog/bags-wet-cement

DefunctStoreKing

does anyone have any pics of ann age products and P&Q products?
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

http://tazsnewforums.proboards37.com/index.cgi
Everyone Can Join My Message Board

Defunct Store Yahoogroup Maker Since 2007

Randy Amasia (October 9, 1957-December 12, 2001)

David Zinkin (November 19, 1970-August 13, 2008)

http://classix.110mb.com
My Webpage

BillyGr

Quote from: DefunctStoreKing on December 31, 2017, 01:29:37 PM
does anyone have any pics of ann age products and P&Q products?

About the closest I can find - the lid from an Ann Page bottle

TheFugitive

I found this in a Bing image search.

DefunctStoreKing

was there any P&Q brand products, i'd like to see some picsof them
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

http://tazsnewforums.proboards37.com/index.cgi
Everyone Can Join My Message Board

Defunct Store Yahoogroup Maker Since 2007

Randy Amasia (October 9, 1957-December 12, 2001)

David Zinkin (November 19, 1970-August 13, 2008)

http://classix.110mb.com
My Webpage