A&P

Started by Caldor99, January 07, 2005, 08:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acme style

Quote from: mixedday on July 18, 2015, 04:51:00 PM
Quote from: store215 on July 17, 2015, 12:26:10 PM
Quote from: retailisking on July 15, 2015, 01:32:43 PM
Acme could end up with roughly 80 locations

This kind of worries me. ACME, while much improved compared to 5-10 years ago, still is seen as pretty 'weak' in the area. 80 stores seems like a lot to take on, especially when those stores consist of long neglected A&P properties, which aren't necessarily in the best of locations. I know ACME will probably try to grab a bunch of Delaware locations, as they are still very strong in that area.

Acme didn't take on any Genuardi's stores from Southern NJ, or even the Pathmark that closed in Cherry Hill. If it can't absorb about 3 new stores that have valuable locations, how will it absorb 80 new stores? The whole let's slap Sav-On to the name hasn't done anything to boost demand for their stores.

I'd also expect the Burlington, NJ Acme to close, as ShopRite just opened a new store, and Wal-Mart expanded to a SuperCenter.

Acme was still owned by SuperValu when Genuardis and the Cherry Hill Pathmark became available. The company was so broke they wouldn't even let Acme stock their shelves, so yeah, they weren't about to acquire more stores. Sav-On was over 10 years and two owners ago.
Check it out... Acme Style!

mixedday

Quote from: acme style on July 19, 2015, 07:25:05 PM
Quote from: mixedday on July 18, 2015, 04:51:00 PM
Quote from: store215 on July 17, 2015, 12:26:10 PM
Quote from: retailisking on July 15, 2015, 01:32:43 PM
Acme could end up with roughly 80 locations

This kind of worries me. ACME, while much improved compared to 5-10 years ago, still is seen as pretty 'weak' in the area. 80 stores seems like a lot to take on, especially when those stores consist of long neglected A&P properties, which aren't necessarily in the best of locations. I know ACME will probably try to grab a bunch of Delaware locations, as they are still very strong in that area.

Acme didn't take on any Genuardi's stores from Southern NJ, or even the Pathmark that closed in Cherry Hill. If it can't absorb about 3 new stores that have valuable locations, how will it absorb 80 new stores? The whole let's slap Sav-On to the name hasn't done anything to boost demand for their stores.

I'd also expect the Burlington, NJ Acme to close, as ShopRite just opened a new store, and Wal-Mart expanded to a SuperCenter.

Acme was still owned by SuperValu when Genuardis and the Cherry Hill Pathmark became available. The company was so broke they wouldn't even let Acme stock their shelves, so yeah, they weren't about to acquire more stores. Sav-On was over 10 years and two owners ago.

I believe the Marlton Genuardi's was still available for lease months after Cerberus had acquired Acme.

The conversion of that site to a Rastelli's/Marshalls wasn't an ideal outcome as the center owner had to pay costs to subdivide the space. Acme lacked a Marlton location and ShopRite was on a different road altogether, which would have kept Acme somewhat safeguarded. Wegmans also isn't in Marlton.

The former Cherry Hill Pathmark is still available. Although the building is ugly and needs rehabilitation. There is dinky Big Lots that is adjacent to it, that really should move out of the way for redevelopment, but that's my opinion. That location is near the very busy mall and has residential areas close that now just have an Aldi, and a crazy busy Wegmans and ShopRite (by the former racetrack) but over 10 minutes away by drive. It's still an ideal location even for Acme.

There is also the former Genuardi's in Barnegat, NJ. From Acme's website, the nearest Acme site is 14.4 miles to that former Genuardi's zip code.

Sav-On still has little name value, and no purpose, years after it has been introduced. I don't know anyone that is driving to Acme because of Sav-On. It's like Macy's complicating it's name by adding -Hecht's in South Jersey as Macy's-Hecht's when Hecht's wasn't really a local banner for Philly region.

I'm still not sure the direction of Acme.

JoshAustin610

Even after Cerberus took over Acme they still weren't in a financial position to start opening new stores, and even if they were there's no guarantee they would have wanted those locations.  After the IPO they're now in the perfect position to make some acquisitions, and with A&P they'll potentially be able to pick whatever locations they want.

retailisking

It's over for the Tea Company; they want to close 25 stores immediately and sell off the rest.
http://www.northjersey.com/news/montvale-based-a-p-files-for-bankruptcy-protection-could-mean-end-of-156-year-old-brand-1.1377429

TheFugitive

Quote from: Hudsons81 on July 18, 2015, 07:57:37 PM
We most likely won't feel any effects at all here in Michigan-Farmer Jack went kaput eight years ago.

No more top-of-the-hour Farmer Jack time on WWJ.  Sad.

store215

Quote from: mixedday on July 19, 2015, 09:43:31 PM

Sav-On still has little name value, and no purpose, years after it has been introduced. I don't know anyone that is driving to Acme because of Sav-On.

Again as someone else has mentioned, the SavOn name really hasn't been promoted in years. Remodeled stores over the years have been downplaying the SavOn name. Yes, it was a business move that really served little purpose and was really just a waste of money (especially since the SavOn name was meaningless on the east coast), but again, it was under previous ownership.

It is also probably easier from a business perspective for Acme to pick up a large block of stores at once, as opposed to cherrypicking a scattered store or two, which is likely why they haven't picked up the few scattered Genuardi's stores and the Pathmark you mentioned (along with other reasons like demographics and competition).

acme style

According to a press release on A&P's website, deals to sell off 120 stores are essentially done. With Acme continually being mentioned as one of the main players in all of this, it's looks like they will in fact be acquiring a significant amount of stores.
Check it out... Acme Style!

mixedday

Quote from: store215 on July 20, 2015, 11:09:51 AM

It is also probably easier from a business perspective for Acme to pick up a large block of stores at once, as opposed to cherrypicking a scattered store or two, which is likely why they haven't picked up the few scattered Genuardi's stores and the Pathmark you mentioned (along with other reasons like demographics and competition).

Maybe, if it just plans on closing many of them, but holding the leases of the sites to prevent new competition. Taking upon 76 locations is a lot of locations, when many existing Acmes aren't all that strong.

While it has a number of stores, Acme is a weak player and often succumbs to ShopRite, Wegmans, etc. and the absoprtion of these stores could prove much like A&P when it absorbed Pathmark. Alteast in the Philly-Wilmington-Atlantic City area, many of the remaining Pathmark/Superfresh stores are run down or are in urban locations.

On the bright side, if Acme does acquire the Superfresh in Manahawkin, NJ - which is quite rundown, perhaps it will instead take the former Barnegat Genuardi's site, which is larger and cleaner.

retailisking

And I wouldn't bet against them picking up some "Tier II" stores eventually...
http://couponsinthenews.com/2015/07/20/ap-stores-to-be-sold-closed-the-complete-list/

mixedday

Since Acme is going to have to put significant investment and new banner? in these stores, would it make some sense for it to re-brand these acquired stores as Safeway?

Acme doesn't conjure a strong name even in New Jersey. People view ShopRite as the place to go for low prices, and Wegmans as the destination grocery store, but that's of course if Wegmans is accessible.

Safeway has a stronger brand nationally speaking as many from New York-North Jersey travel to California, and DC for business and leisure. Of course this would mean also converting existing Acmes in Central and Northern NJ.

I wonder how Acme will handle Delaware, with 4 banners of Acme, Safeway, Superfresh and Pathmark stores. I think New Castle County isn't all that large for there to be so many stores if they all are Acme. Hopefully a divestiture would eventually lead Whole Foods to find a spot for a new store.

BillyGr

Quote from: mixedday on July 21, 2015, 08:41:51 AM
I wonder how Acme will handle Delaware, with 4 banners of Acme, Safeway, Superfresh and Pathmark stores. I think New Castle County isn't all that large for there to be so many stores if they all are Acme. Hopefully a divestiture would eventually lead Whole Foods to find a spot for a new store.

One would assume that the Pathmark and Superfresh names would disappear, but no idea as to how they will pick between Acme & Safeway in that area for the new stores (unless one already exists nearby where they might put the other for some differentiation).

MikeRa

Quote from: BillyGr on July 21, 2015, 12:13:15 PM

One would assume that the Pathmark and Superfresh names would disappear, but no idea as to how they will pick between Acme & Safeway in that area for the new stores (unless one already exists nearby where they might put the other for some differentiation).
For the CT stores, I can see Albertsons/Safeway using the Shaw's name.  With New Castle County, it will either be Acme or Safeway, since the Pathmark & superfresh names will be gone.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

FitchMike26

Hello everyone,

Here is a list of the stores that ACME is purchasing from A&P, and where they are located. These stores are currently A&P, Pathmark, and SuperFresh locations and will be converted to the ACME banner.

NEW JERSEY - 36

Bergen County (10):
- 137 Lake St, Midland Park
- 125 Franklin Turnpike, Mahwah
- 2160 Lemoine Ave, Fort Lee
- 520 Chestnut Ridge Rd, Woodcliff Lake
- 45 Demercurio Dr, Allendale
- 199 Kinderkamack Rd, Park Ridge
- 75 Mayhill St, Saddle Brook
- 58 Broad Way, Elmwood Park
- 481 River Rd, Edgewater
- 80 New Bridge Rd, Bergenfield

Hudson County (5):
- 125 18th St, Jersey City
- 614 Clinton St, Hoboken
- 55 Riverwalk Pl, West New York
- 321 Stadium Pl, Jersey City
- 4100 Park Ave, Weehawken

Union County (3):
- 1260 Springfield Ave, New Providence
- 801 Kenilworth Blvd, Kenilworth
- 1060 Raritan Rd, Clark

Essex County (2):
- 510 Valley Rd, Montclair
- 295 Ferry St, Newark

Morris County (2):
- 125 Main St, Denville
- 5774 Berkshire Valley Rd, Jefferson

Sussex County (2):
- 530 Route 515, Vernon
- 455 Route 23, Sussex

Warren County (1):
- 152 Route 94, Blairstown

Somerset County (1):
- 177 Washington Valley Rd, Warren

Middlesex County (2)
- 907 Oak Tree Rd, South Plainfield
- 3500 Route 9, Old Bridge

Monmouth County (3)
- 2007 State Route 35, Wall
- 507 Prospect Ave, Little Silver
- 990 Shrewsbury Ave, Tinton Falls

Ocean County (2)
- 5 Ortley Plaza, Ortley Beach
- 609 E Bay Ave, Manahawkin

Atlantic County (1):
- 5100 Wellington Ave, Ventnor

Cape May County (2)
- 800 West Ave, Ocean City
- 2400 Delaware Ave, Wildwood
--------------------------------------
NEW YORK - 20

Westchester County (16):
- 100 Triangle Center, Yorktown
- 610 Columbus Ave, Thornwood
- 660 Mclean Ave, Yonkers
- 3105 E Main St, Mohegan Lake
- 2005 Albany Post Rd, Croton on Hudson
- 1233 Nepperhan Ave, Yonkers
- Route 22 & Route 138, Golden Bridge
- 14 Cedar St, Bronxville
- 422 Old Post Rd, Bedford
- 230 Saw Mill River Rd, Millwood
- 261 S Ridge St, Rye Brook
- 1886 Pleasantville Rd, Briarcliff Manor
- 777 White Plains Rd, Eastchester
- 103 Knollwood Rd, Greenburgh
- 1366 E Main St, Shrub Oak
- 23 Quaker Ridge Rd, New Rochelle

Putnam County (2):
- 1511 Route 22, Brewster
- 3 Village Center, Mahopac

Dutchess County (2):
- 829 Route 82, Hopewell Junction
- Route 44 & North Ave, Pleasant Valley
PENNSYLVANIA - 10

Philadelphia County (5)
- 2101 Cottman Ave, Philadelphia
- 7700 Crittenden St, Philadelphia
- 180 W Girard Ave, Philadelphia
- 305 S 5th St, Philadelphia
- 1001 South St, Philadelphia

Bucks County (1):
- 800 2nd Street Pike, Richboro

Montgomery County (2):
- 250 E Lancaster Ave, Wynnewood
- 1025 Youngs Ford Rd, Gladwyne

Delaware County (2):
- 643 Conchester Highway, Boothwyn
- 1305 West Chester Pike, Havertown
DELAWARE - 5

New Castle County (4):
- 100 College Square, Newark
- 4365 Kirkwood Highway, Wilmington
- 1812 Marsh Rd, Wilmington
- 401 New London Rd, Newark

Sussex County (1):
18578 Coastal Highway, Rehoboth Beach
CONNECTICUT - 4

Fairfield County (4):
- 1201 High Ridge Rd, Stamford
- 160 W Putnam Ave, Greenwich
- 1261 E Putnam Ave, Riverside
- 288 Elm St, New Canaan
MARYLAND - 1

Worcester County (1):
- 9507 Coastal Highway, Ocean City

mixedday

Quote from: BillyGr on July 21, 2015, 12:13:15 PM

Upon further research, there are only 2 Safeway stores in New Castle County. One happens to be directly across an Acme. My guess is the Safeway will close. Another one in Newark is a little over 2 miles from an existing Acme in Bear, DE off the same road. I'm not sure if it closes or gets re-bannered as Acme. It's in a plaza that has Home Depot.

Acme tends to be more tolerant with keeping stores open that are close to another one, than some ShopRite owners that like stores to be atleast 5 miles apart.

Between Acme and Safeway: I think it'd make sense for the Acme banner to prevail fully in New Castle and Kent Co. Delaware where it's part of the Philly TV market, while Safeway in the Baltimore and DC DMA (TV market).

For Lower DE and Salisbury area, it's a tossup. Safeway has one store in Rehoboth Beach, DE and Acme gains one store in Rehoboth Beach, DE and Ocean City, MD from Superfresh. The Safeway and Superfresh are only 1.3 miles apart in Rehoboth.

FitchMike26

Hello, Mixedday. On the AcmeStyle website, most commenters seem to be saying the plan is for Albertsons-Safeway to *maintain* any existing Safeway stores in Delaware, but not to open or convert any other locations to that banner.

Most news articles keep saying that all these stores purchased from A&P will be renamed 'ACME' and not anything else. I guess we'll see what happens.

BillyGr

Plus there were also those saying that the beach areas get people visiting from both areas where Acme and where Safeway would be known, so having one of each might be a benefit to attract all shoppers depending on which name they know?

JimSawhill

Are those the last 4 A&P in CT...??

FitchMike26

Hello Jim. Yes, those are A&P locations in CT.

AmesNewington

Quote from: JimSawhill on July 26, 2015, 11:39:49 AM
Are those the last 4 A&P in CT...??

Jim, there is also the unclaimed Danbury store (North Street Shopping Center). It was not on any list, so if it is not sold eventually, it will probably close. I doubt it will stay open being the only store in the state.

On another note, I wonder what will happen to the liquor store division (A&P Wines and Spirits and Best Cellars). There are two A&P Wines and Spirits in Newington. Will they be sold off or closed altogether?

BillyGr

Somewhere it was pointed out that the Danbury one is somewhat separate from the other 4 CT locations (although I would think it's not all that bad from the couple of NY stores that Acme is taking in Dutchess County, but...).

Not sure on the liquor stores, but perhaps someone else who owns liquor stores would want to purchase them?  Seems (a bit) strange that they kept some in areas where they got rid of the rest of the stores (supermarkets) but they must have done well or something.

store215

It is still possible that A&P will exist in some form after all their sell-offs (although the chances are probably fairly low). They still will have 100+ stores including the liquor stores, after the sell offs to Acme and others, although that pretty much just narrows them down to the NY (mainly NYC) market.

retailisking

Quote from: store215 on July 26, 2015, 08:19:26 PM
It is still possible that A&P will exist in some form after all their sell-offs (although the chances are probably fairly low). They still will have 100+ stores including the liquor stores, after the sell offs to Acme and others, although that pretty much just narrows them down to the NY (mainly NYC) market.

I think the odds of A&P keeping its Tier II stores long-term are very slim. The stores not already pledged to Acme, Key Foods or Stop & Shop or targeted for immediate closure will almost certainly either be sold off piecemeal or closed. I'm sure a lot of players are keeping their powder dry so they won't have to assume the liability of those union contracts.

Bdubs

There are 3 A&P Liquors on the shoreline. Old Lyme, Waterford, and Mystic. Not sure what their future holds, but it seems likely A&P will spin these off eventually.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Bdubs on July 28, 2015, 08:42:22 PM
There are 3 A&P Liquors on the shoreline. Old Lyme, Waterford, and Mystic. Not sure what their future holds, but it seems likely A&P will spin these off eventually.

There's still 3 inland too. One in the Forestville Section of Bristol and 2 in Newington. (One on The Turnpike and one in the Stop & Shop Plaza on Fenn Road).

Bdubs

What's the story with the liquor stores anyway? Were they always located in the same plaza or very nearby to an A&P grocery?  Old Lyme is located in the same plaza where an A&P once was (now a Big Y). Mystic once neighbored a grocery store until A&P built a bigger store down the road (also now a Big Y). Waterford is in the same plaza as a Stop & Shop which has been there for as long as I remember, perhaps there was an A&P there years ago. Groton closed their A&P Liquor shop 4 years ago, but it was all by itself in a strip mall.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

I do recall seeing ads for A&P in some old Green Bay Press-Gazette newspapers stored on microfilm. I remember seeing some ads even advertising their "going out of business sale" in the Green Bay area in the year 1977, the same year Port Plaza Mall opened in Green Bay's downtown area. A&P is short for Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company, and A&P was a national supermarket chain from the 1940s until the late 1970s/early 1980s.

MikeRa

The Pathmark of Franklin Mills started their Closing Sale this past Friday, July 31, 2015.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Whoser

Quote from: Bdubs on July 29, 2015, 06:17:04 PM
Waterford is in the same plaza as a Stop & Shop which has been there for as long as I remember, perhaps there was an A&P there years ago

We did have an A&P years ago, but it was actually located down the road, where Benny's is now.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Whoser on August 05, 2015, 03:40:40 PM
Quote from: Bdubs on July 29, 2015, 06:17:04 PM
Waterford is in the same plaza as a Stop & Shop which has been there for as long as I remember, perhaps there was an A&P there years ago

We did have an A&P years ago, but it was actually located down the road, where Benny's is now.

In East Hartford, A&P was across from the town hall and Grand Union was in downtown in a small shopping center, which became the town green. The A&P is now medical offices.