A&P

Started by Caldor99, January 07, 2005, 08:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeRa

I keep hearing from folks who live around Philadelphia Mills Mall is that the Pathmark Sav-A-Center across from the mall, as well as the Acme Sav-on on Bristol Pike will probally close because of the Walmart Superceter that is in the mall.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Joeg

I wonder if a smaller version of Price Rite or Sav a Lot is going into the old Food Mart space in Middletown, CT.  Its to bad Shop Rite doesn't try to open a store in the Middletown area.

Bdubs

I'd be surprised if its another grocer. Price Chopper is right across the street, Aldis is 500 ft down the road, and there is a Price Rite and Stop and Shop only a couple miles away.

Bdubs

Old Foodmart in Middletown has filled the vacancies! Big Lots which has been open for about a year now, and now PETCO will join.  Filling both spaces which once occupied this former grocer.

Hudsons81

This Farmer Jack, located on Southfield Road in Allen Park, Michigan, continues to sit abandoned seven years after it was shuttered, along with all other Farmer Jack stores, in July 2007.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Hudsons81 on December 13, 2014, 08:57:23 PM
This Farmer Jack, located on Southfield Road in Allen Park, Michigan, continues to sit abandoned seven years after it was shuttered, along with all other Farmer Jack stores, in July 2007.

What  other grocery stores are in Allen Park? 7 years after it closed nothing came in? I wonder why the landlord didn't fill it.

Hudsons81

Quote from: JimSawhill on December 19, 2014, 08:34:23 PM

What  other grocery stores are in Allen Park? 7 years after it closed nothing came in? I wonder why the landlord didn't fill it.

There is a Kroger right across Southfield Road on the Lincoln Park side of the border (the border itself is to the right in the photo), possibly explaining the answer to "7 years after it closed nothing came in?".

As within Allen Park itself, there are two small independents, plus there is a Meijer at Fairlane Green and a Dairy Mart just west of the downtown area.

Hudsons81

Here's that same store from when it was still open, circa 2000. Picture courtesy of the Downriver Things Flickr page.

Other photos of long-gone A&P stores in the Downriver Detroit region from the same page:

A news article on the opening of a new A&P on Gibraltar Road in Flat Rock, Michigan. Typical example of the colonial architecture A&P was rolling out at the time.

The A&P at Goddard and Allen in Southgate, Michigan. Closed as an A&P by 1994, now Trentwood Farms.

The Farmer Jack in the Southgate Shopping Center in 2006, a year before it's fate was met in July 2007.

The same location in 2012, five years after it closed. It is now Downriver Gymnastics.

Another Farmer Jack location, this one just outside of Woodhaven, Michigan, at Telegraph and West Road. Farmer Jack anchored this strip mall until July 2007, Kroger immediately leased the space and has been operating there since.

BillyGr

Quote from: Hudsons81 on February 19, 2015, 01:10:58 PM
Another Farmer Jack location, this one just outside of Woodhaven, Michigan, at Telegraph and West Road. Farmer Jack anchored this strip mall until July 2007, Kroger immediately leased the space and has been operating there since.

I'm guessing this was a fairly new(er) store, or at least after A&P purchased them, as it looks like newer A&P stores I've seen in this part of the country.

MikeRa

Quote from: BillyGr on February 19, 2015, 07:52:43 PM
Quote from: Hudsons81 on February 19, 2015, 01:10:58 PM

I'm guessing this was a fairly new(er) store, or at least after A&P purchased them, as it looks like newer A&P stores I've seen in this part of the country.
It is what I call the "90's Steel" look that used by various A&P, superfresh, Waldbaum's, and most recently, Pathmark that were Super Fresh Super Store

BillyGr

MikeRa

I just looked on The Food Emporium's website, and only counted 12 stores that are now open:
New Cannan CT Food Emporium Fine Foods: 280 Elm Street (Store 500)
Manhattan Food Emporium Fine Foods: 10 Union Square (14th & Park) (Store 715)
Manhattan Food Emporium Fine Foods: 1066 3rd Avenue (63rd Street) (Store 742)
Manhattan Food Emporium Fine Foods: 1175 3rd Avenue (68th Street) (Store 703) (Inside Trump Palace Building)
Manhattan Food Emporium Fine Foods: 1331 1st Avenue (71st Street) (Store 711)
Manhattan Food Emporium Fine Foods: 1450 3rd Avenue (82nd Street) (Store 706)
Manhattan Food Emporium Fine Foods: 2415 Broadway (90th Street) (Store 708)
Manhattan Food Emporium Fine Foods: 316 Greenwich Street (Store 777)
Manhattan Food Emporium Fine Foods: 405 East 59th Street (1st Avenue) (Store 783) (Under the Queensboro Bridge)
Manhattan Food Emporium Fine Foods: 452 West 43rd Street (10th Avenue) (Store 727)
Manhattan Food Emporium Fine Foods: 810 8th Avenue (49th Street) (Store 732)
Manhattan Food Emporium Fine Foods: 969 2nd Ave (51st Street) (Store 707)

The following have closed in the last 2 years:

• Manhattan Food Emporium Fine Foods: 1211 Madison Avenue (87th Street) (Store 719) (Closed 12/2014, replaced by Morton Williams)
  • Manhattan Food Emporium Fine Foods: 1660 2nd Avenue (86th Street) (Store 729)
  • Manhattan Food Emporium Fine Foods: 200 East 32nd Street (3rd Avenue) (Store 767) (Closed 1/2015)
  • Manhattan Food Emporium Fine Foods: 2008 Broadway (68th Street) (Store 717) (Closed 5/4/2013, Being converted to Lowes Home Improvement)
  • Manhattan Food Emporium Fine Foods: 475 6th Avenue & West 12th Street (Store 720) (Former A&P Food Market) (Closed 2013)

retailisking

RoleModel

Quote from: retailisking on June 16, 2015, 03:18:02 PM
http://supermarketnews.com/retail-financial/unions-ap-sale

I could see a chain entering Long Island by snatching up some of their better locations. For as much as A&P has done to kill their stores, some of the Pathmarks and Waldbaums on LI are still in good locations.

retailisking

This looks more like a liquidation than a restructuring as it appears no one wants to take on A&P's substantial liabilities
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-18/a-p-is-said-to-consider-second-bankruptcy-filing-in-five-years

JimSawhill

Quote from: retailisking on June 16, 2015, 03:18:02 PM
http://supermarketnews.com/retail-financial/unions-ap-sale
\
A&P needs to have someone who knows the retailing business... A&P got a good name...do they still own the Farmer Jack and Food Mart names?

store215

Rumors going around say the company is looking to file for bankruptcy again within the next month. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-18/a-p-is-said-to-consider-second-bankruptcy-filing-in-five-years
I think they are done, IMO....the chain will probably be broken up and sold to the highest bidders.

JimSawhill

Quote from: store215 on June 22, 2015, 02:09:00 PM
Rumors going around say the company is looking to file for bankruptcy again within the next month. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-18/a-p-is-said-to-consider-second-bankruptcy-filing-in-five-years
I think they are done, IMO....the chain will probably be broken up and sold to the highest bidders.

A&P will be gone, I would love to see the A&P survive...maybe as a 50 store chain

retailisking

With rumors of tightening credit terms and slow payments circulating, another bankruptcy filing appears more and more likely
http://supermarketnews.com/retail-financial/ufcw-local-sets-meeting-discuss-ap-future

JimSawhill

Quote from: retailisking on July 07, 2015, 02:53:37 PM
With rumors of tightening credit terms and slow payments circulating, another bankruptcy filing appears more and more likely
http://supermarketnews.com/retail-financial/ufcw-local-sets-meeting-discuss-ap-future

Another historic chain that will be dead... :(

Chuck E. Cheese

Newington Closed, and Middletown is now Big Lots/and a New Petco. It still had "A&P Super Foodmart" on the windows and a florist Neon before Petco.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on July 15, 2015, 05:30:24 PM
Newington Closed, and Middletown is now Big Lots/and a New Petco. It still had "A&P Super Foodmart" on the windows and a florist Neon before Petco.

I hate to see the company go, however, they really made some poor business decisions, and I was very angry with them when they exited central CT five years ago, and I was out of a job. They ruined the Foodmart chain, which was pretty big in New England from the 70s through 90s. The Berlin store was an institution and was there for over 40 years in many ownerships, and A&P just dragged it down with the rest because it wasn't a huge moneymaker once competition came to town. At the very end, most Foodmarts were run down and some were never busy. I did work at one of the more successful locations in West Hartford (Waldbaums) and still miss it to this day. I always think of the remaining Foodmart still open in Danbury (A&P with the Foodmart sign still on the building). I guess it may not be there for much longer.

Chuck E. Cheese

There is an A&P branded foodmart In Riverside, Greenwich, CT. Never really went to A&P over Stop & Shop.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on July 16, 2015, 06:02:59 PM
There is an A&P branded foodmart In Riverside, Greenwich, CT. Never really went to A&P over Stop & Shop.

I didn't think those stores were ever called Foodmart. Greenwich, Riverside and Stamford are the A&Ps and New Canaan is Food Emporium. Even Danbury is just A&P now. Foodmart is sadly a thing of the past. Even the Foodmarts that closed five years ago rebranded their receipts and bags as either A&P or Waldbaums. They were just not going to change the sign on the building. 

Chuck E. Cheese

Well I still never really went to there and only passed it a couple of times. It's still A&P branded.

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on July 15, 2015, 01:32:43 PM
Acme could end up with roughly 80 locations

Not that it would (necessarily) happen, but it seems that the northern NJ, NY and handful of CT stores could make a good "link" between the existing Acme stores in NJ and the Shaw's stores in New England (which are both part of the same company).

Not to mention that at least a few of them are in towns without much (if any) other market presence, which should make them more valuable.

store215

This kind of worries me. ACME, while much improved compared to 5-10 years ago, still is seen as pretty 'weak' in the area. 80 stores seems like a lot to take on, especially when those stores consist of long neglected A&P properties, which aren't necessarily in the best of locations. I know ACME will probably try to grab a bunch of Delaware locations, as they are still very strong in that area.

mixedday

Quote from: store215 on July 17, 2015, 12:26:10 PM

This kind of worries me. ACME, while much improved compared to 5-10 years ago, still is seen as pretty 'weak' in the area. 80 stores seems like a lot to take on, especially when those stores consist of long neglected A&P properties, which aren't necessarily in the best of locations. I know ACME will probably try to grab a bunch of Delaware locations, as they are still very strong in that area.

Acme didn't take on any Genuardi's stores from Southern NJ, or even the Pathmark that closed in Cherry Hill. If it can't absorb about 3 new stores that have valuable locations, how will it absorb 80 new stores? The whole let's slap Sav-On to the name hasn't done anything to boost demand for their stores.

I'd also expect the Burlington, NJ Acme to close, as ShopRite just opened a new store, and Wal-Mart expanded to a SuperCenter.

Hudsons81

We most likely won't feel any effects at all here in Michigan-Farmer Jack went kaput eight years ago.