A&P

Started by Caldor99, January 07, 2005, 08:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

store215

A SuperFresh (A&P) store in Pottstown, PA. Possibly a former Pathmark judging from the overall front of the building, and it doesn't look like any other Superfresh store.

BillyGr

This store is on Route 32 heading toward Cohoes.  It appears to be an old A&P based on :

The style
The entrance (If you look at the right end you'll see that it still has end doors).

I can't confirm that it is an A&P, but can't figure what else it could have been.

P.S. - The store has a very small lot in front - a double row and single row, and I-787 on the other side of the street - so I wasn't able to get far enough back to get the whole building in one shot - sorry.

BillyGr

This is the old A&P in Hudson (Greenport) NY - it closed probably 15- 20 years ago.  The store ran from approximately the white sign you see on the wall towards the left of the shot to about where the Advance Auto Parts sign ends on the right.  This was one of the first Aldi's to open in the area (you won't find any in Albany or Rensselaer county EXCEPT the one I posted above since these two counties still require item pricing which Aldi refused to do).  I believe that when it was an A&P the portion of the roof that juts out was enclosed with doors on both ends, rather than the single doors Aldi currently has.

Anonymous

What happened to the Foodmart on the Mohawk Trail in Greenfield, MA?

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by Anonymous
What happened to the Foodmart on the Mohawk Trail in Greenfield, MA?

A&P closed all their remaining stores in New England (EXCEPT a few in Connecticut) a couple years back.  Most were sold off - to a variety of chains (Stop & Shop, Big Y, Shaws??, and C&S Wholesalers, who operate the stores they aquired through the GU Family Markets chain - these are around Cape Cod).

Stop & Shop lists a store at 89 French King Highway, Big Y lists a store at 237 Mohawk Trail Route 2 (which is apparently managed by a newsman (Brian Williams) ;) & Shaws has no listing - so it might be the Big Y, and then again it might not!

OK, onto the more - the photos below:

1st & 2nd are the location in Pleasant Valley - it has been recently remodelled and had a pharmacy added.  It's not a huge store (no service meat, very small fish area added with remodel).

3rd is the former location in Red Hook - closed in the mid-late 1980's and is now CVS (was a Revco for a while until CVS bought them).

StarSage

QuoteOriginally posted by Anonymous
unlikely theres no more around in my area i guess:(

but in other stat:flaming:es

I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure there are no more A&P markets operating in the U.S.  In fact, I believe this is now a chain exclusive to Canada

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by StarSage
I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure there are no more A&P markets operating in the U.S.  In fact, I believe this is now a chain exclusive to Canada

You might check the post above - the pictures there have all been taken in the last 3 weeks or so (and the top ones show a current store)

There are 104 still using the A&P name in (southern) NY & NJ, and the A&P Super Foodmart name in CT - along with stores owned by the A&P company under other names (74 Waldbaum's in NYC (Long Island), 75 Superfresh in Southern NJ/DE/MD/PA/DC, 23 SavACenter in LA/MS, 67 Farmer Jack in MI, 33 Food Emporium in NY/NJ and 11 Food Basics in NY/NJ/PA - a total of 404 stores.

They sold off the Canadian stores to a separate company last summer.

BillyGr

OK - I "Think" these be A&P's - but can't be certain - if you are, please confirm (or deny) it for us - Thanks!

The first 2 shots are of a store in Saugerties - it is on Route 9W/32 heading north not too far before you come to the right angle curves - it sits on the left, but is just hidden enough to be missed easily.  It certainly looks like A&P, and I know they had stores there (including one on the corner in the center of town years ago - saw a photo of that somewhere online).

The last is a shot of the (Currently) Brooks on Route 2 between North Adams and Williamstown.  Again, it looks similar, but I'm not sure if they had a store in that area (they did further east on 2, though so it's likely).

BillyGr

This is the Margaretville (NY) store - it's just off Route 28 between Oneonta and Kingston (not much better way to describe it).  It's a smaller, older store - and the strangest part, it's actually part of the SuperFoodmart NE (New England) group - all the other stores left in the group are in CT!  They also controlled (at one time, before they closed) the last 2 A&P's in the Adirondacks, in Saranac Lake & Tupper Lake - they closed about 3-4 years ago.  Not sure why or how those couple far flung stores got into the New England group (though the last one in the upstate area (which was in Wynantskill, closed 1997) was NOT considered a SuperFoodmart store.

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
This is the Margaretville (NY) store - it's just off Route 28 between Oneonta and Kingston (not much better way to describe it).  It's a smaller, older store - and the strangest part, it's actually part of the SuperFoodmart NE (New England) group - all the other stores left in the group are in CT!  They also controlled (at one time, before they closed) the last 2 A&P's in the Adirondacks, in Saranac Lake & Tupper Lake - they closed about 3-4 years ago.  Not sure why or how those couple far flung stores got into the New England group (though the last one in the upstate area (which was in Wynantskill, closed 1997) was NOT considered a SuperFoodmart store.

Ya figure that this store has to do a pretty good business. It has the couple of times that I have been there. The next nearest store is where?? It seems to be local-owned or employee-owned much like the way the Great Americans now are. The only reason why I have been to this store is because Margaretville has a 4th of July Carnival right behind the store. Pretty good size event for such a small town.

store215

A&P's are all corporate owned. They don't have any "franchise" or "employee-owned" divisions.

d_fife

here is a building that looks like it was an A&P and this is in port jervis ny.

BillyGr

This sure looks like an old A&P on Route 50 in Glenville, NY (if I remember correctly, it had last been a drugstore or auto parts - the doors look sort of like the Fays/Wheels doors).

shakethis1234

the might be buying  P&C that what the poststanderd said

AmesNewington

QuoteOriginally posted by shakethis1234
the might be buying  P&C that what the poststanderd said

Can you explain more on the article. I can't find the article online.

beachgal26

Does this mean that they are connected to the original A&P or is some off-brand from another chain???

AmesNewington

Super Foodmart was originally FoodMart, then changed to Waldbaum's Foodmart until 1994 when A&P bought Waldbaum's as well as FoodMart I believe. That's when America's Choice/Master Choice/Health Pride was introduced as the store's brand products. Then, stores in CT and New England were gradually changed to Super Foodmart, with no mention of A&P owning them. In 2000, I believe half of the Super Foodmart stores in New England closed due to competition, leaving stores in CT and one in NY. Then in 2001, A&P was incorporated in to the name (now A&P Super Foodmart). On their bags, it lists all stores owned and operated by A&P. Most A&P stores use the same flyer with their logo or name inserted in appropriate places. The web site is www.superfoodmartne.com.

BillyGr

Here are a couple A&P (and relatives) from a recent trip -

The first appears to be an older store, now being used as a thrift center - this is in Stanton, DE.

The second is a still open store in Newark, DE - it happens to be quite near part of the UofDelaware campus, which probably helps it stay open to some degree (and there aren't other stores in that area - at least not groceries).

The last one is in the area of Woodbridge, NJ on Route 1 - This store closed about 5 years ago (give or take) when they opened a newer store a couple miles away.  As you can see from the inset - it is a fairly small store.  It was also used as something else for a while, hence the purple coloring.

store215

Yuck that SuperFresh sign looks horrible on such a tiny store. It's nice to see they are still able to operate stores like that though.

d_fife

A&P in carmel ny across the vacant ames as of july 22, 2006.

d_fife

A&P in mohegan lake ny (cortlandt and peekskill) in the wal-mart /best buy/ home depot plaza.

d_fife

mt. kisco A&P (In mount kisco ny near bedford hills) in the target plaza.

d_fife

A&P in yorktown heights ny in the cetner of town.

d_fife

vacant A&P in ridgefield CT

d_fife

the one in middletown ct

d_fife

d_fife

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
A&P bristol ct

bristol ct

d_fife

the one in Mahopac ny