A&P

Started by Caldor99, January 07, 2005, 08:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
sign of Mahopac ny

sign of Mahopac ny

Whoser

I was so sure that the A&P chain was dead after it closed in Waterford and Groton, but I guess I was wrong, I recently found out there is one in Old Lyme and Mystic.

BillyGr

After the Price Chopper post about an old discount card, I thought about this.  
This is an A&P card, issued sometime before 4/12/97 (the date the last A&P in the greater Albany area closed, which was store #689 as the card states), probably 1994 or 95.

It still works from a validity point (tried it in NJ around Christmas), although it doesn't always scan due to the discoloration.

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
A&P bristol ct

The A&P/A&P Liquor Store in Bristol closed in 93 or 94. They demolised the entire run down shopping center except for the movie theatre (the boarded up building that is in the back). Super Stop & Shop opened in either 95 or 96. That's also when the A&P Liquor Store reopened.

Across the street is an old Ford dealership. (It was once a Lincoln Delaership).  A CVS was supposed to be built there, but the sale fell through.

I do not know anything about that A&P Book & Collectibles store.

And technically that part of Bristol is called Forestville. It's a suburb of Bristol, but shares the same Zipcode (unlike Berlin/Kensingston/South Kensignton/East Berlin, which all have seperate Zip Codes. Unlike Southington, Plantsville, Marion, Milldale, which also all have seperate zip codes)

SacramentoLifeForce

Here is here a 1960 A&P Picture....

SacramentoLifeForce

SacramentoLifeForce

Another 1960 CA A&P Food Store pic

SacramentoLifeForce

SacramentoLifeForce

SacramentoLifeForce

SacramentoLifeForce

SacramentoLifeForce

SacramentoLifeForce

In side the CA A&P Food Store 1960....CA=California

SacramentoLifeForce

SacramentoLifeForce

SacramentoLifeForce

SacramentoLifeForce

A&P factory building and Billboard 1960 Philadelphia, PA

mikey7290

Here is a pic I took a couple years back of the former A&P in what used to be called the Northland Plaza in Watertown, NY.  The A&P closed in 1992 or 1993 and was vacant until the store was bought from the plaza last year by a store called "Affordable Furniture."  They renovated the old store building and it is now three stores.  The furniture store is now in the middle, with two 2,500 square-foot stores on each side.  The one on the far left is vacant and there is a store called Video Loft on the right.

mikey7290

QuoteOriginally posted by mikey7290
Here is a pic I took a couple years back of the former A&P in what used to be called the Northland Plaza in Watertown, NY.  The A&P closed in 1992 or 1993 and was vacant until the store was bought from the plaza last year by a store called "Affordable Furniture."  They renovated the old store building and it is now three stores.  The furniture store is now in the middle, with two 2,500 square-foot stores on each side.  The one on the far left is vacant and there is a store called Video Loft on the right.

Here is a drawing I made from memory of how the store looked before the A&P closed.

mikey7290

Sorry...After looking at this picture, I realized that I had the drawing backwards.  Here's how the old A&P used to look.

Here is a drawing I made from memory of how the store looked before the A&P closed.

mikey7290

Oh well, the drawing is still backwards (The windows are reversed).  But anyway, comparing it to the picture I just posted, you should see how I meant to have it look.  Maybe I will post it in a few days after I have fixed it.

david121

Video Loft moved out of the Northland Plaza, well the anchor anyway for some reason or another -- I have fond memories of Both A&P and Video Loft from back in the day, when I used to rent Sega games.

How I miss those days. I think it was 1994 they closed down. I know I moved into my current house in 1992, and I shopped there in the summer once. It sat vancant for a very long time.

AmesNewington

A&P Super Foodmart (#351) in Newington, CT:

AmesNewington

This is the A&P Super Foodmart in Berlin CT (store #339). It's located on Webster Square Road across from Morande Ford near Route 9 and the Berlin Turnpike. This is the only remaining location in the Greater Hartford area besides the West Hartford Waldbaum's. This is my favorite supermarket of them all. My mom worked at this store when it was on the other side of the plaza (store #341) where Ocean State Job Lot is right now. She worked there from 1985-1993 and a few employees she worked with are still there. The manager she had in 1987 was there until 2006. Talk about loyalty.

AmesNewington

A&P Super Foodmart in Newington will be closing for good on August 11. They are closing because of the landlord doubling rent on the entire plaza. Foodmart anchored this plaza. They were thrown out by the landlord last week, and are starting to clear out the store.

This store has been in Newington forever, probably since the 70s. I can't believe they are closing. I can bet the entire group of remaining tenants in that plaza are all going to leave. I don't know what will replace it, but the building can be easily seen from the ending of the Cedar Mountain roadway when you enter Newington. Senior citizen residents who live in the apartment building will have to find another store. There is Stop and Shop, Shaw's and Price Chopper left, along with Stew Leonards, but that's not a supermarket.

I think only a big chain would pay to renovate and open a new store in Foodmart's place. (Big Y or Shop Rite?) The building is ancient, and I believe it was a First National supermarket in the 50s and 60s.

For those who know the Berlin store, they are supposedly doing better than the new Stop and Shop in Berlin.

AmesNewington

The A&P Super Foodmart in Newington, CT closed Friday afternoon after 47 years of being in business in that same location. I happened to take pictures of the store from my car on Friday right around the time it closed (3:45pm) and I took another when I dropped my mom off at the bank. The plaza now has about 5 cars in it now. The landlords drove a restaurant, card/gift shop, and pharmacy out of the plaza due to the rent, and now the anchor tenant. That's what happens when they want too high of a rent (otherwise Foodmart would have survived another few years there). I feel bad for the senior citizens in nearby apartment buildings that went to Foodmart to shop. Now they have to take the bus to another food store across town. I even liked to stop in for lunch here every week. Anyway, Newington Center is not what it used to be. There is really not much there anymore. They need to put another grocery store in Foodmart's spot. Sure, there are three other food stores along with Stew Leonards in town, however Stop and Shop is on the New-Britain line off Route 9, Shaw's is on the far end of the Berlin Turnpike, and Price Chopper is on the turnpike as well. Each serves the part of town they are in, and Newington is highly populated. As far as convenience is concerned, there is none. Foodmart was the convenience! Most people work in Newington Center and went there for things after work. The supermarkets today don't allow for quick in and out service anyway. Rumors have circulated that either Big Y or Geissler's would move in there.

Marc82

It's so funny. A&P apparently doesn't even know they closed the Newington Store. I just saw this weeks sale flyer in the Hartford Courant this morning and it still has Newington listed as locations the sales flyer is valid in.

AmesNewington

Marc: Don't forget that these sales flyers were created and printed weeks ago, so maybe A&P didn't know they were definently closing Newington yet. I noticed the same thing, but they closed the store rather quick (within 3 or 4 weeks).

Newington LIFE has an article on the closing as this location really benefited the elderly and disabled due to it being located near retirement homes and apartments. The store opened in April 1960 (47 years ago). So that is a nice long stay. A&P claims it was economics that closed Newington up (aka underperformance). However, I still don't buy that, because a cashier at the store said it was because of high rent and the developer and Newington supposedly wanted to re-develop the plaza due to its old age, and Foodmart probably wasn't going to be able to cooperate to pay for renovations to the store. They are starting work in the plaza already by digging up the "islands" in the parking lot. They must be doing something. Foodmart was a nice little old-fashioned store and I'm glad Berlin is close and still open.

XISMZERO

A&P is a dinosaur. The chain is simply losing to the top-tier markets like Stop & Shop (obvious), Price Chopper (whose really expanded into the CT market in just the last couple years and even Shaw's, a chain whose also lost a lot of clout to some of the giants by losing many stores in just the past couple years.

Don't forget, the height of even regular markets is to offer and cater to the "organic" trend that's been (pardon) sweeping supermarkets and driving others to specialty markets like Whole Foods (who will be opening some more CT stores soon), Wild Oats and Trader Joes.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

C. Fontaine

Ugh, Whole Foods.  Where a loaf of bread costs $5!