A&P

Started by Caldor99, January 07, 2005, 08:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubcolbert1952

Do A&P stores in Connecticut still sell alcohol? I know at least some of them did in the 50's (not that I was alive then) from old articles, but apparently it had to be in separate rooms from the rest of the stores. Is this still how it is?

ynkeesfn82

A&P pulled out of CT in 2010. There are some A&P Liquor Stores around still including Bristol (in the plaza where their old small store was until the early 90s), Newington, and some other locations.

bubcolbert1952

Do they have to keep the alcohol separate in New York (state)?

RoleModel

Quote from: bubcolbert1952 on February 09, 2014, 10:32:43 PM
Do they have to keep the alcohol separate in New York (state)?

Beer can be sold in stores, but for almost all wine and liquor, they have to go to liquor stores (which unlike a lot of other states in the NE, aren't state-run).

Ames Newington

Quote from: Marc B on February 09, 2014, 09:20:41 PM
A&P pulled out of CT in 2010. There are some A&P Liquor Stores around still including Bristol (in the plaza where their old small store was until the early 90s), Newington, and some other locations.

There are A&Ps still stores down in Fairfield County (Danbury, Stamford, Greenwich, etc.). I

bubcolbert1952

What's up with A&P being ashamed of their own name? It seems they are because stores with the A&P name without any prefixes or suffixes are becoming rare. Why do the newer stores have to be A&P "Super Foodmart" or something similar? I miss the A&P name by itself.

Ames Newington

Quote from: bubcolbert1952 on February 10, 2014, 06:37:19 PM
What's up with A&P being ashamed of their own name? It seems they are because stores with the A&P name without any prefixes or suffixes are becoming rare. Why do the newer stores have to be A&P "Super Foodmart" or something similar? I miss the A&P name by itself.

Super Foodmart is technically no longer valid, because only the Danbury, CT store has the "A&P Super Foodmart" signage on their building. The original Foodmart chain is gone. A&P refers to itself as just A&P on receipts, packaging labels and bags. Just certain stores have names like "A&P Fresh" or "A&P Fresh Market" to only signify a concept. West Hartford CT labeled their Waldbaum's as "Waldbaum's Fresh" and Branford, CT as "A&P Fresh" after they received a specific remodel that focused on service departments more. The company tried too many concepts and none really caught on. 

ynkeesfn82

The former A&P Super Foodmart in Meriden, Connecticut at 495 Chamberlain Highway. I forgot what year they closed. These days the store features a 5,000 Square Foot (or so vacancy), a Deal$ store, and a Savers. Before Savers opened where they are was a Circuit City. At around 33,000 Square Feet this is a large Savers.

P.S. The phone number for A&P Super Foodmart still appears in the most recent edition of the AT&T Phone Book. (What's a phone book? LOL)

These photos were taken by me today 2/11/2014.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21191136@N03/sets/72157640857833874/

bubcolbert1952

What was A&P doing in New Orleans after they left the rest of the South? Despite the stereotype in the movies, the Italian New Orleanians are nothing like NYC Italians, so New Orleans is nothing like the big cities up northeast.

Stork of The Weak

What could the Prudential real estate office next to the former A&P (now Super Fresh) in Gladwyne PA have been built as? The address of the Super Fresh is 1110 Youngsford Rd, Gladwyne, PA 19035. I'm pretty sure this office had to have been another store at some point but just can't tell what. It seems too small to have been much of anything, even an older drugstore. But the shape of the building (a rectangle turned sideways) looks familiar to me. However, it's relatively uncommon to see just two retail businesses together with no other tenants, unless you count the Shell station in the parking lot and the post office behind.

TheFugitive

When I was a child there was still an A&P store in our neighborhood that was not a supermarket!

It was a neighborhood storefront on a residential street.  Like a lot of the photos you see of
A&P locations from the 1920's and 30's.   This one had somehow managed to survive up into
the early 1970's. 

It was probably around 5000 sq. ft. max.   I remember the meat counter was off to the side, which
was an odd configuration.  And it had one old wooden checkout counter (no moving belt) at the front
with an ancient mechanical register.   I think I was around 7 or 8 when it closed.  A convenience store
then moved into the space (which is really what a building that size was suited for).   It was later torn
down to make way for a condominium development.

BillyGr

Quote from: TheFugitive on May 28, 2014, 08:28:18 AM
When I was a child there was still an A&P store in our neighborhood that was not a supermarket!
It was a neighborhood storefront on a residential street.  Like a lot of the photos you see of A&P locations from the 1920's and 30's.   This one had somehow managed to survive up into the early 1970's. 

It was probably around 5000 sq. ft. max.   I remember the meat counter was off to the side, which was an odd configuration.  And it had one old wooden checkout counter (no moving belt) at the front with an ancient mechanical register.   I think I was around 7 or 8 when it closed.  A convenience store then moved into the space (which is really what a building that size was suited for).   It was later torn down to make way for a condominium development.

There was a similar one in the main street in Chatham (NY) and probably until about the same time period you mention (or maybe a bit later).  It may have been a bit bigger, but not much (I don't know exactly when it closed but I don't remember being there when it was A&P - most of the A&P's in the area closed in the early 1980's, so no later than that I'd guess).  At that point the only other market in town would have been a Finest, whose building is now a Rite Aid and a bit smaller than a modern one at that (maybe 10000 SF), so not a lot of competition in the area.
Later on the Price Chopper chain operated the A&P location as their Mini Chopper format, and I think it was 3 aisles and maybe 2 or 3 checkout counters - this was into the 1990's.  I know they closed that a few years before buying the Grand Union in town (which was during their bankruptcy - 2001ish).  It was also a locally owned grocery store for a short time and then a Dollar General for a bit.  After that it was finally divided into several small storefronts - not even sure if any of them are occupied now.

MikeRa

For the interior decor of the current A&P family of stores, there are several that are used:

• Late 1980's-Early 1990's Super Fresh interoir decor
  • Late 1990's-Early 2000's A&P Interior decor
  • Fresh Market Interior decor (AKA 2004 "fresh")
  • Fresh Interior decor (AKA 2006 "fresh")
  • Funky Fresh Interior decor
  • Pathmark Sav-A-Center Interior decor (Simplified version of the "Funky Fresh")
The A&P Fresh in New Providence, NJ, and the superfresh on Girard Avenue in Philadelphia, PA are the last 2 newly opened locations and they are using the "fresh Market" Interior decor with the "Funky Fresh" wordmark on the exterior of the stores.

Fresh Market Interior decor (AKA 2004 "fresh")

Pathmark Sav-A-Center Interior decor (Simplified version of the "Funky Fresh")
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

MikeRa

Quote from: BillyGr on May 28, 2014, 12:39:41 PM
Quote from: TheFugitive on May 28, 2014, 08:28:18 AM
It was a neighborhood storefront on a residential street.  Like a lot of the photos you see of A&P locations from the 1920's and 30's.   This one had somehow managed to survive up into the early 1970's. 

It was probably around 5000 sq. ft. max.   I remember the meat counter was off to the side, which was an odd configuration.  And it had one old wooden checkout counter (no moving belt) at the front with an ancient mechanical register.   I think I was around 7 or 8 when it closed.  A convenience store then moved into the space (which is really what a building that size was suited for).   It was later torn down to make way for a condominium development.

There was a similar one in the main street in Chatham (NY) and probably until about the same time period you mention (or maybe a bit later).  It may have been a bit bigger, but not much (I don't know exactly when it closed but I don't remember being there when it was A&P - most of the A&P's in the area closed in the early 1980's, so no later than that I'd guess).  At that point the only other market in town would have been a Finest, whose building is now a Rite Aid and a bit smaller than a modern one at that (maybe 10000 SF), so not a lot of competition in the area.
Later on the Price Chopper chain operated the A&P location as their Mini Chopper format, and I think it was 3 aisles and maybe 2 or 3 checkout counters - this was into the 1990's.  I know they closed that a few years before buying the Grand Union in town (which was during their bankruptcy - 2001ish).  It was also a locally owned grocery store for a short time and then a Dollar General for a bit.  After that it was finally divided into several small storefronts - not even sure if any of them are occupied now.
In NE Philadelphia, there is a former 1920's A&P Self Service Store on Frankford Avenue, south of Cottman Avenue, that was next to a S. S. Kresge Co. $.05 & $.10 store that is now an eyeglasses office.

RoleModel

Quote from: MikeRa on July 01, 2014, 05:19:28 PM
For the interior decor of the current A&P family of stores, there are several that are used:

• Late 1980's-Early 1990's Super Fresh interoir decor
  • Late 1990's-Early 2000's A&P Interior decor
  • Fresh Market Interior decor (AKA 2004 "fresh")
  • Fresh Interior decor (AKA 2006 "fresh")
  • Funky Fresh Interior decor
  • Pathmark Sav-A-Center Interior decor (Simplified version of the "Funky Fresh")

I posted in the Acme Style thread about this, but there are some LI Waldbaum's stores that had received the "Fresh Market" branding but were given an older decor package (but were still given out in the early-mid 2000's rang) like Selden and the now dead Lake Ronkonkoma store. The former Shirley store was also a fresh market but lasted only a few years after the switch, turning into a Stop & Shop when A&P bought dead weight in 2007.

Ironically, that Shirley store got more remodels as a Stop & Shop than when it was Waldbaums. They opened the store in about a week or two after the sale in January '08 with a barebones version of S&S's mid-2000's decor, then they received the yellow and purple decor a month or two after S&S changed their logo, then they received a more extensive remodel two or so years ago to alter the layout drastically (pharmacy and beer switched places, aisles were rearranged to make more sense, a bigger organic section, etc.)

more pics of Lake Ronk: http://sachem.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/from-the-lens-waldbaums-is-closing

MikeRa

Per the circular of August 1, 2014, you no longer need the savings card for Pathmark, except if you use the Zavers coupons on Pathmark.com.  Not sure if this applies at A&P, superfresh, The Food Emporium and Waldbaum's.

FitchMike26

As of right now, this ONLY applies to the Pathmark branded stores.

Cards are still needed at A&P, Superfresh, Waldbaum's, and The Food Emporium.

AmesNewington

Quote from: FitchMike26 on August 11, 2014, 10:52:10 PM
As of right now, this ONLY applies to the Pathmark branded stores.

Cards are still needed at A&P, Superfresh, Waldbaum's, and The Food Emporium.

Not 100% true. Waldbaum's now advertises "No Card Needed" in their flyer. A&P's ad doesn't mention this, but I'm sure the other banners will eventually follow suit.

ynkeesfn82

I didn't know how to find the website for A&P so I Googled A&P and Google told me that the nearest A&P was at 175 Lowery Place in Newington, CT! *FACE-PALM* Gee it's only been closed for SIX years. And the new occupant in the building BEST MARKET has been open for 9 1/2 months!

FitchMike26

The Waldbaum's information is news to me.

So basically, Pathmark & Waldbaum's are currently participating in this. Now we just have to wait for Superfresh/A&P.

AmesNewington

Quote from: FitchMike26 on August 12, 2014, 05:07:38 PM

So basically, Pathmark & Waldbaum's are currently participating in this. Now we just have to wait for Superfresh/A&P.

Go to waldbaums.com, and it should appear on the homepage and you can view the current ad online.

RoleModel

It's like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

MikeRa

Quote from: RoleModel on August 12, 2014, 09:49:26 PM

It's like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
It's still Pathmark and Waldbaum's that no longer takes the cards, and A&P, superfresh, and The Food Emporium that takes the cards.

FitchMike26

Yup, that's pretty much how I experienced it last week. This is just surprising, because I've always assumed the Waldbaum's stores to be closer to the A&P/Superfresh division.

MikeRa

Looks like as of today, 11/14, only The Food Emporium is using the store cards.

BillyGr

Quote from: MikeRa on November 14, 2014, 08:55:20 PM

Still shows with card in the A&P ad - just in print (no actual card pictures).

See http://ap.apsupermarket.com/view-circular?storenum=826

MikeRa

Quote from: BillyGr on November 15, 2014, 02:11:43 PM

It not showing it on the http://ap.apsupermarket.com and http://superfresh.apsupermarket.com websites, unless you click on the savings tab to get to the Food Emporium Fresh Club Card tab.  It also still shows the card in the superfresh ad (http://superfresh.apsupermarket.com/view-circular?storenum=233#ad)

Nor is it showing the links to the Zavers website.

BillyGr

Quote from: MikeRa on November 16, 2014, 04:28:37 PM
Quote from: BillyGr on November 15, 2014, 02:11:43 PM

It not showing it on the http://ap.apsupermarket.com and http://superfresh.apsupermarket.com websites, unless you click on the savings tab to get to the Food Emporium Fresh Club Card tab.  It also still shows the card in the superfresh ad (http://superfresh.apsupermarket.com/view-circular?storenum=233#ad)

Nor is it showing the links to the Zavers website.

Just going by how it's listed in the ad, as I have no actual store nearby to see what they do in practice.  Just assumed they would stop putting it in the ad. maybe even a big banner about "Card Free Savings" like other stores have done when dropping cards.

As for the Zavers, that program was discontinued because the company that owned Zavers decided to close it down (Price Chopper here in NY used them also - they are in the process of switching to another provider).

Apparently A&P decided not to pick up another e-coupon program, which makes sense if they are trying to phase out the discount cards.

Bdubs

In the old Food Mart in Middletown, ct Big Lots took a chunk of the former space, but did not take the produce area. I'm not sure if a prospective renter is moving in, but they are renovating the inside and are doing something to the facade as well.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Bdubs on November 17, 2014, 08:00:20 PM
In the old Food Mart in Middletown, ct Big Lots took a chunk of the former space, but did not take the produce area. I'm not sure if a prospective renter is moving in, but they are renovating the inside and are doing something to the facade as well.

That would have been a nice ShopRite if they did it over. Still miss Food Mart. Too bad A&P wasn't in such financial trouble and exited Central CT. They could have renovated that store and did very well, even with Price Chopper across the street.