Waldbaum's (Some A&P stuff too since they were one in the same)

Started by Caldor99, January 06, 2005, 07:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

Everything Community

Here's a long-defunct Waldbaum's-owned Foodmart store at Holyoke Shopping Center in Holyoke, MA (nearby Kmart)!

I wonder how long this store has been vacant for? It's believed that it was closed 20+ years ago (probably when Waldbaum's went out of business?). Lately, the "foodmart" signage has probably been covered with plastic.

There's also a pic of how it still looked like last year!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jjbers/39864956162/in/album-72157692637070095/

BillyGr

Quote from: Everything Community on July 01, 2019, 03:34:24 PM
Here's a long-defunct Waldbaum's-owned Foodmart store at Holyoke Shopping Center in Holyoke, MA (nearby Kmart)!

I wonder how long this store has been vacant for? It's believed that it was closed 20+ years ago (probably when Waldbaum's went out of business?). Lately, the "foodmart" signage has probably been covered with plastic.

Good question.  A&P had, after buying up Waldbaum's in 1986 renamed the stores so that the Waldbaum's name was used mainly in the NYC/LI areas (though one in CT stayed with that name that I know of until it finally closed).

However, most of the stores in New England used the name A&P Foodmart, so having the Foodmart name scar doesn't necessarily mean it was closed that far back (the A&P part was probably on some kind of separate sign if it had that).

Looking at info online, they closed all remaining A&P stores in VT & NH in 2003 (and that "Northern New England" closure may have also included any remaining MA stores, or those may have been a bit later but it appears no later than 2006).

So at minimum it's been closed for close to 14-16 years (depending on if it was part of the 2003 group or sometime in 2004-2005), but could have been even earlier than that (as they were closing stores quite frequently in that time period, in various groups small and larger).

AmesNewington

Quote from: BillyGr on July 02, 2019, 03:24:08 PM
Quote from: Everything Community on July 01, 2019, 03:34:24 PM

Good question.  A&P had, after buying up Waldbaum's in 1986 renamed the stores so that the Waldbaum's name was used mainly in the NYC/LI areas (though one in CT stayed with that name that I know of until it finally closed).

However, most of the stores in New England used the name A&P Foodmart, so having the Foodmart name scar doesn't necessarily mean it was closed that far back (the A&P part was probably on some kind of separate sign if it had that).

Looking at info online, they closed all remaining A&P stores in VT & NH in 2003 (and that "Northern New England" closure may have also included any remaining MA stores, or those may have been a bit later but it appears no later than 2006).

So at minimum it's been closed for close to 14-16 years (depending on if it was part of the 2003 group or sometime in 2004-2005), but could have been even earlier than that (as they were closing stores quite frequently in that time period, in various groups small and larger).

Food Mart stores at least in CT were associated with Waldbaums as far back as the 70s. When A&P bought them in 1986, they kept things basically the same, but started closing Food Mart stores soon after. It wasn't until around 1993/1994 when they began separating the Waldbaum's name from Food Mart. As they remodeled stores at this time, they changed the branding to Super Foodmart. Later in 2001, A&P began branding the Food Mart stores as A&P Super Foodmart, and shortly after in 2003, A&P began closing many stores and exited the Northern NE area. A number of CT stores closed, but the remaining stores survived the next 7 years until A&P pulled out of the CT area completely with the exception of A&P stores in Fairfield County. A few locations like Newington and Bridgeport closed before the rest. West Hartford CT, where I worked at during the last few years of their CT existence, was the only Food Mart to keep the Waldbaums name due to the large Jewish community they served. They remodeled to Waldbaums Fresh in 2007 but was still technically a Super Foodmart. Branford CT also remodeled in 2008 as A&P Fresh, but was still a Super Foodmart. Very confusing. A&P was as all over the place in branding as Sears Holdings was with Sears and Kmart.

JJBers

Quote from: standa on July 04, 2019, 11:39:29 AM
Where is the former Waldbaum's space in this site plan? I can't find it.

https://properties.brixmor.com/cre/commercial-real-estate-listings/holyoke/massachusetts/holyoke-shopping-center/overview/
Right next to the Sears Outlet is what I remember.
I also vaguely remember seeing a very faint "wa" that I didn't bother capturing.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

Retail_247

Retail_247