Main Menu

Wal-Mart - Bargains By The Bagful

Started by C. Fontaine, January 05, 2007, 06:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C. Fontaine

Just to let you guys know, I am sorry I haven't gotten around to your photos.  I recenty moved to Providence, RI with my fiance so we both can be closer to our schools.  We are both full time students, so my days are pretty tight as it is, but I do have your email addresses for the newsletter, and I am working on it!  Again, my apologies to all of you.

-Silver Spring St, Providence, RI

Anyways, down the street from me there has been a retail travesty.  I never thought I would see the day, but Wal-Mart has stooped to a new low, displaying Ames vintage signage along with their own.  Using Ames' genius slogan to drive customers in when it opens, or maybe paying their respects to their predecessor.:insane:

Kmart4life

How dare they put such a slogan to shame like that?:mad:

Kmart4life

Mark my words Wal-Mart's day is coming! If they do not fix their so called friendly customer service and reduce the clutter of junk in there stores they too will die a slow painful death! Stealing another store's slogan is a crime just like stealing their customers is a crime.

Crawford

I think it is justice. I know the neighboorhood this Wal-Mart is in and believe me I'll bet this one has the highest shop lifting rates in Rhode Island
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

C. Fontaine

Yep, I live up on Orms St, just across from the Statehouse.  Less than 2 mintes away!  The only thing you see here is riced up 92 Honda Civics with 21" chrome rims and loud mufflers and people drinking 40's on their stoops!

http://www.amesfanclub.com/archive/main.php/v/ames/stores/RI/providence/51+silver+spring+st/051307/

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
Yep, I live up on Orms St, just across from the Statehouse.

You live on Orms Street? How far away from Channel 6? I'm a radio/tv geek in addition to being a retail geek!

C. Fontaine

Haha, I'm literally just over the bridge there.  I can see the building from my apartment!

beachgal26

Since I do not know this area, can I assume that there once was an Ames store where the Wal-Mart now resides??  I would wonder who left the slogan sign up and wonder what others who live in the area think of the double entendre....

:D

Crawford

The store actually started life as a Zayre then became an Ames. My uncle lived not too far from here and my family ran a jewelry shop down aways on Charles St.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

beachgal26

How long ago was the store in operation?  It just seems so hysterical that the "Bargains" signage is still there!

:bouncing:

C. Fontaine

This one also closed in 2002 with the rest in the area, here's some pictures of when it was Ames!  That plaza sign is a sight to see, although I think its more of a lazy landlord thing, because the Liquor 99 and other signs are aged and now non-existant.

http://www.amesfanclub.com/archive/main.php/v/ames/stores/RI/providence/51+silver+spring+st/