AMESFANCLUB
January 17, 2018, 10:14:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]
  Print  
Author Topic: Grand Union  (Read 97763 times)
nysw3636
Jr. Ames-Lad!

« Reply #810 on: July 09, 2013, 01:32:33 PM »

Grand Union Millerton, NY is still open.
nysw3636
Jr. Ames-Lad!

« Reply #811 on: November 13, 2013, 04:18:21 PM »

Well, 13 years after Grand Union built it, but never occupied it... the Poughkeepsie location across from Marist College will be a Ocean State Job Lot. Drove by it this morning and the sign is up. Not sure if it open yet....

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20131002/BUSINESS/310020011/
BillyGr
Expert Member

« Reply #812 on: November 14, 2013, 03:15:37 PM »

The first line was great - if you build it, 13 years later they will come!

I wonder how much of the building they'll use for the actual store?  They have a store in the old Grand Union here in Valatie, and they blocked off a bit of it (a few feet on the right side and also put a wall in front of what was the meat/seafood areas in the rear, both are stock storage areas), plus using the former pharmacy for an employee area.  This store was one of the newer ones that GU had, but I'd think that (based on what I remember from the few times in the Albany store that was open for 6 months and identical to the Poughkeepsie never opened one) that those stores are even somewhat larger than Valatie was.

Should be great (both for them & the students) with Marist across the street and other colleges nearby.

OSJL seems to like grocery stores in NY - the Ballston & Valatie (plus this) are GU, the Schenectady is a former PC/Price Rite and the Fishkill is an old A&P.  Clifton Park is part of the Joy Store/Toys for Joy (not sure what it may have been before that, though) - the Albany one is part of a plaza that last housed AJ Wright, though the space may partially be where the GU/Albany Public once sat - no idea on the Babylon location.

Well, 13 years after Grand Union built it, but never occupied it... the Poughkeepsie location across from Marist College will be a Ocean State Job Lot. Drove by it this morning and the sign is up. Not sure if it open yet....

nysw3636
Jr. Ames-Lad!

« Reply #813 on: November 15, 2013, 04:34:48 PM »

Here is another link about the former Grand Union building. It states that Job Lots is using 40,000 sq feet of the building. I am unsure of the total square footage...

http://www.wallacelawny.com/blog/2013/10/poughkeepsie-finally-gets-new-store-to-fill-unoccupied-building.shtml
ynkeesfn82
« Reply #814 on: November 16, 2013, 08:20:15 AM »

That's big for a Job Lot. The average store is around 30,000 Square Feet. The one in New Britain, Connecticut is around 40,000 Square Feet.
RoleModel
Jr. Ames-Lad!

« Reply #815 on: November 17, 2013, 08:25:45 AM »

OSJL seems to like grocery stores in NY - the Ballston & Valatie (plus this) are GU, the Schenectady is a former PC/Price Rite and the Fishkill is an old A&P.  Clifton Park is part of the Joy Store/Toys for Joy (not sure what it may have been before that, though) - the Albany one is part of a plaza that last housed AJ Wright, though the space may partially be where the GU/Albany Public once sat - no idea on the Babylon location.

North Babylon was a former Finast/Edwards - it never made it to being S&S. It was a pool supply store for years before becoming OSJL.

To take it back towards the thread topic, when S&S bought GU locations 12 or 13 years ago, Stop & Shop decided to take a GU over in the neighboring community of Deer Park, and that's still open to this day.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 08:29:17 AM by RoleModel » Logged
buzz86us

« Reply #816 on: November 18, 2013, 11:17:20 PM »

anybody remember their last ditch effort to re-invent that lasted like 2 months? Weren't they called the Hot Dot or something like that.. I remember they opened in the old Ames Plaza in Palatine Bridge NY
BillyGr
Expert Member

« Reply #817 on: November 19, 2013, 01:34:37 PM »

anybody remember their last ditch effort to re-invent that lasted like 2 months? Weren't they called the Hot Dot or something like that.. I remember they opened in the old Ames Plaza in Palatine Bridge NY

Yes - they did those for a short time (I know there was one on the outskirts of Schenectady - I think technically in Rotterdam?).

Of course, the very last re-invention was the Mega Save - at least the one that opened for about 6 months in Albany (Central Ave just above Westgate - on the site of the former Caldor, but a new building - now Home Depot on the site which is also a totally new building).  That one looked just like the Poughkeepsie one that never did open (which is how we knew what it was supposed to have been) that is now opening as Ocean State.
Caldor1999
Expert Member

« Reply #818 on: November 25, 2013, 09:59:46 PM »

Albany Ny this was the only megasave store to open

Colonie NY March 2001

Loudonville NY December 2000

Beacon NY
March 2001

December 2002

Unknown Location july 1988

Distribution Center 1993

Unknown Locations

Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory
BillyGr
Expert Member

« Reply #819 on: November 26, 2013, 12:56:04 PM »

Colonie NY March 2001

Loudonville NY December 2000

I think these two are shots of the same store at different times - while it would be listed as a Loudonville address, Loundonville is part of the town of Colonie, so it may be listed that way also.

Beacon NY
March 2001

December 2002

Not sure if both of these are supposed to be the same store?  The second one is the Clifton Park location, as you can see the Crossings name on the plaza behind it - located at 9 & 146 - it's now a Kohl's.  The first one could be a different store that looks the same - the Beacon on the bags seems to be just them using odd bags, which they did a few times in later years - probably something that C&S had to get rid of.

That's hard - it was a fairly common design - at least a few of them in this area.

Unknown Location

This one is kind of unusual - I wonder if they built it or remodeled it from someone else?  Probably later 1990's, based on the white building with green lettering.
buzz86us

« Reply #820 on: November 29, 2013, 03:14:11 AM »

anyone got a pic of the megasave logo?
Scrabbleship
AMESer +1

« Reply #821 on: November 29, 2013, 09:31:52 AM »

The first one could be a different store that looks the same - the Beacon on the bags seems to be just them using odd bags, which they did a few times in later years - probably something that C&S had to get rid of.

Looking in the trunk, there is a huge clue: the whole bag reads "BEACON SUPERMARKET - 1028 BEACON ST - BROOKLINE". Your theory is right.

For the record, said market later went to Foodmaster (as "Johnnie's Fresh Market") and after Foodmaster shut down went to Whole Foods where it's the smallest location in the company.
JimSawhill
Ames 4 Lyfer!

« Reply #822 on: December 08, 2013, 05:04:59 PM »

The first line was great - if you build it, 13 years later they will come!

I wonder how much of the building they'll use for the actual store?  They have a store in the old Grand Union here in Valatie, and they blocked off a bit of it (a few feet on the right side and also put a wall in front of what was the meat/seafood areas in the rear, both are stock storage areas), plus using the former pharmacy for an employee area.  This store was one of the newer ones that GU had, but I'd think that (based on what I remember from the few times in the Albany store that was open for 6 months and identical to the Poughkeepsie never opened one) that those stores are even somewhat larger than Valatie was.

Should be great (both for them & the students) with Marist across the street and other colleges nearby.

OSJL seems to like grocery stores in NY - the Ballston & Valatie (plus this) are GU, the Schenectady is a former PC/Price Rite and the Fishkill is an old A&P.  Clifton Park is part of the Joy Store/Toys for Joy (not sure what it may have been before that, though) - the Albany one is part of a plaza that last housed AJ Wright, though the space may partially be where the GU/Albany Public once sat - no idea on the Babylon location.

OSJL Manchester CT store was an old Finast. I used to work in that store when it was Edwards before it closed. I guess they like old stores, no expense to build new.
amesman
Sub-Administrators
Ames 4 Lyfer!

« Reply #823 on: June 14, 2015, 10:29:33 AM »

This was East Greenbush, NY.. torn down for the Wal-Mart supercenter expansion.
JimSawhill
Ames 4 Lyfer!

« Reply #824 on: June 21, 2015, 01:13:53 PM »

This was East Greenbush, NY.. torn down for the Wal-Mart supercenter expansion.

What a beautiful store it was..Grand Union was in my town growing up...East Hartford, CT.
buzz86us

« Reply #825 on: November 01, 2015, 07:35:48 PM »

Albany Ny this was the only megasave store to open

Did MegaSave have its own logo like Hot Dot??
BillyGr
Expert Member

« Reply #826 on: November 03, 2015, 11:38:19 AM »

Did MegaSave have its own logo like Hot Dot??

Being as noted this was the only one to open, and it lasted around 6 months, I don't think so.  I seem to remember that they used signs inside that said Mega Save to denote sections that had larger packages (kind of like having mini "wholesale club" sections around the store - I assume that was the whole idea of the concept, to encourage people to do more shopping there rather than going to a BJ's or Sam's).

I guess you could also say the GU on the red dot was a "newer" logo, not specifically for this store (see the one green/white store that also has it) but I don't think it appeared on many locations.
DefunctStoreKing
Pre-Awesome Ames Dude

I Am Forever A Toys "R" Us Kid!

« Reply #827 on: December 26, 2017, 10:21:26 PM »

are there any grand union brand grocery pics?

Erik "Taz" Mokracek

http://tazsnewforums.proboards37.com/index.cgi
Everyone Can Join My Message Board

Defunct Store Yahoogroup Maker Since 2007

Randy Amasia (October 9, 1957-December 12, 2001)

David Zinkin (November 19, 1970-August 13, 2008)

http://classix.110mb.com
My Webpage
BillyGr
Expert Member

« Reply #828 on: December 27, 2017, 12:06:51 PM »

are there any grand union brand grocery pics?

Well, not quite a picture but something (somehow I wound up with these three very small magnets of GU items - probably something that was floating around in one of the stores when they were closing up).
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]
  Print  

Jump to: