Grand Union

Started by Caldor99, January 06, 2005, 11:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gu4ever

The Grand Union store of Hancock, NY.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

gu4ever

Some interior photo's of the Hancock, NY store.

gu4ever

Some additional interior photo's of the store in Hancock, NY.

gu4ever

The Grand Union store of Corinth,NY.

gu4ever

Some interior photo's of Corinth, NY

gu4ever

Some additional interior photo's of Corinth, NY

gu4ever

Here are some picture of my visit to the Northville, NY Grand Union store.

gu4ever

Some interior photo's of the Northville, NY Grand Union store.

gu4ever

The Northville, NY store is now the last location that utilizes a Grand Union trailer behind it's store.  :'(

ynkeesfn82

Chuck,

Great stuff as usual.

~M

gu4ever

This was a pretty exciting location for me to visit as you will see by all the photo's that I've attached and the fact that they come from 3 seperate season fall, spring and summer.
Here is a link to bing map so you can check out the birds eye view of this property.
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r4g9cd8wkwgd&scene=22215673&lvl=1&sty=b&where1=Hoosick%20Falls%2C%20NY

The exterior of the Grand Union in Hoosick Falls, NY is pretty typical, it has the classic early colonial design with it's dark brown brick facade and arched windows. The street sign has been modernized along with the sign over the entrance.... So you know this location will have "a lot in store for you" without even having to even spell it out!!

gu4ever

This Grand Union store built along state route 22 was "state of the art" back in it's day. Sadly as time marched on and the traditional supermarket continued to evolve with new and improved service departments and categories this store in Hoosick Falls, NY was left behind.
What was exciting to find during my visit at this location was the fact that this was the last store currently open and running as a traditional Grand Union "family market" store. This location went through an exstensive remodel to improve it's image to the local community. What was removed from this location was all it's traditional department signage, the greeting at the entrance and exit reminding you of "a lot in store for you" and clean, fresh and good make a Grand Union. The stain glass canopy ove the checkout department was also replaced with a more modern generic panel insert.
Let's take a look inside at one of the last design remodel packages done by the Grand Union Company.

gu4ever

This location had a bright, clean and fresh feel throughout the entire store. It is one of the few locations that made me want to wander around checking ever single aisle and really enjoy my time while I was there.
Here are some additional photo's of the interior of the store... Such as the "fresh from scratch" bakery department.

gu4ever

Just like floating on clouds.... The department signs guide you through the store!

gu4ever

Here are some interior photo's of the front of the store and an exterior photo of the Grand Union at night.

gu4ever

The Rutland, VT store is from the colonial design period with it's chocolate brown brick and arched windows. This location has a modernized street sign with the newer family markets logo similiar to the Storrs, CT store.

gu4ever

The Rutland, VT location had a similiar layout to the South Burlington store. This was one of the locations that attempted to reface the paneling thru-out the store by painting it a cool, clean off-white color. With in the past 3 years the company again attempted a remodel by removing most of the paneling thru-out the store and replacing it with a mural type border that runs the entire perimeter of the store.
Here are several interior photo's of the newly renovated produce department.

gu4ever

Some additional interior photo's including the red-dot make your own salad bar logo!!

gu4ever

The former fresh seafood department hides behind this wall of frozen food cases.

gu4ever

Some additional photo's of the interior of Rutland, VT.

BillyGr

Quote from: gu4ever on July 08, 2010, 10:34:41 PM
This Grand Union store built along state route 22 was "state of the art" back in it's day. Sadly as time marched on and the traditional supermarket continued to evolve with new and improved service departments and categories this store in Hoosick Falls, NY was left behind.
What was exciting to find during my visit at this location was the fact that this was the last store currently open and running as a traditional Grand Union "family market" store. This location went through an exstensive remodel to improve it's image to the local community. What was removed from this location was all it's traditional department signage, the greeting at the entrance and exit reminding you of "a lot in store for you" and clean, fresh and good make a Grand Union. The stain glass canopy ove the checkout department was also replaced with a more modern generic panel insert.
Let's take a look inside at one of the last design remodel packages done by the Grand Union Company.

Actually, this is more like the first design remodel under the "Family Markets" ownership.

This store had some damage done to the interior by fire shortly before the chain went into bankruptcy (I never actually stopped to try to see what the damage was, but it didn't extend to anything that could be seen from outside just driving by).  Due to the bankruptcy, the store was closed for quite a while (a year at least, possibly even longer) and then was finally re-opened with the "new" decor after C&S had taken over the remains of the chain.  During it's closure, the roadside sign got broken and was thus replaced with probably the first Grand Union Family Markets sign with the apple logo, but for some reason they didn't bother to do the storefront sign while they were at it.

One interesting thing in this store (or at least it used to be when I was up that way more often and would actually have a chance to go in) - you could often get items from many different chains, some not even in the area.  I'm guessing since C&S owned it, and the fact it is relatively close to their warehousing facilities over in Southern VT/NH (since most of the southern VT stores closed or went to other chains like Shaw's), they would use it as a "clearance" spot, especially on short dated items in dairy and the like.

gu4ever

Quote from: BillyGr on July 09, 2010, 02:34:58 PM
Quote from: gu4ever on July 08, 2010, 10:34:41 PM

Actually, this is more like the first design remodel under the "Family Markets" ownership.

This store had some damage done to the interior by fire shortly before the chain went into bankruptcy (I never actually stopped to try to see what the damage was, but it didn't extend to anything that could be seen from outside just driving by).  Due to the bankruptcy, the store was closed for quite a while (a year at least, possibly even longer) and then was finally re-opened with the "new" decor after C&S had taken over the remains of the chain.  During it's closure, the roadside sign got broken and was thus replaced with probably the first Grand Union Family Markets sign with the apple logo, but for some reason they didn't bother to do the storefront sign while they were at it.

One interesting thing in this store (or at least it used to be when I was up that way more often and would actually have a chance to go in) - you could often get items from many different chains, some not even in the area.  I'm guessing since C&S owned it, and the fact it is relatively close to their warehousing facilities over in Southern VT/NH (since most of the southern VT stores closed or went to other chains like Shaw's), they would use it as a "clearance" spot, especially on short dated items in dairy and the like.

thanks BillyGr for that information on the Grand Union design change. It's to bad that C&S didn't continue to carry the design from Hoosick Falls forward. The bright red apple and colorful signage + the floating on the clouds department graphics definately give the store a modern and well put together feel to it. Compared to most of the other locations out there... For example Rutland, VT.

gu4ever

Here is the former Grand Union in Napanoch, NY.

gu4ever

The Napanoch Grand Union located on route 209 sits quietly rotting in the Valley Mall. I was glad to finally get to this location and this is the one and only shopping center that still currently had a vacant Grand Union and a former Ames department store with it's sign intact.

gu4ever

This former Grand Union located on route 4 in Hudson Falls, NY sits empty and almost forgotten. The supermarket was built with the colonial brown brick and arched windows popular back during the 80's design period. The store sits far back off from the main route 4 and after the store closed it's doors a modern pizza hut building was built on-site along the main street next to McDonalds.

gu4ever

A look behind the building show all the overgrown weeds and plant life that has been growing at the unoccupied store. The refridgeration units have been removed from the top of the building to prevent further damage to the roof and alongside the building I discovered the Grand Union street sign that once sat alongside route 4.

gu4ever

Here are a few interior shots of the former Grand Union in Hudson Falls, NY.

gu4ever

This link takes you to a 2001 aerial view of the former Grand Union on historicaerials.com
You can also click on the right of that screen and see the property in 2006 after the new modern pizza hut building was opened.

gu4ever

I finally stopped in Kingston, NY and took some pictures of former Grand Union locations.
The Aldi Food store is located on route 9w and was formerly a Grand Union store. Kingston Plaza tucked behind route 587 had 2 Grand Union locations in the same shopping centers at different times. The first with it's colonial design chocolate brown brick and arched windows now home to a wine and spirits store. The other location was a modern corner entrance location now home to Hannaford. I did stop in to checkout the inside of Hannaford, but it has been completely remodeled and I did not see much signs of the former GU store.

Maybe Amesman has more info or pictures of the Hannaford prior to it's remodel?

jaredski09

The Grand Union in Johnson, Vermont has closed. At least I'm pretty sure it has. There was massive flooding in Johnson last month, and it destroyed the interior of Grand Union. There has been flooding before, including in the Grand Union parking lot, but not as bad as last month. Officials from Grand Union had said last month they weren't sure if they would be able to re-open and renovate again because of financial troubles. They also had to throw away all of the product in the supermarket. I also noticed that Grand Union removed the Johnson, Vermont location off of their website recently. Now, three Grand Unions stand in Vermont now.