Grand Way

Started by hojoland.com, December 28, 2006, 01:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hojoland.com

I never see much talk about Grand Way Department Stores.  They were part of Grand Union.  GU would build a Grand Union Supermarket and a Grand Way Department Store right next to each other.  In fact, if you were inside Grand Way, though there were walls separating the two, you could walk through an open doorway inside into Grand Union, and vice-versa.
In Connecticut, what is now Railroad Salvage in West Haven was a Grand Way, while next door, was a Grand Union (now Shop Rite).  If you go into Railroad Salvage (inside) you can still see the old carpet and flooring and interior design of Grand Way.  Also, in Waterbury's Colonial Plaza on Thomaston Avenue, there used to be a Grand Way and Grand Union.  Grand Way became a flea market, then Colonial Lanes bowling alley, and now Railroad Salvage.  Grand Union became Roller Magic, and later burnt down and was rebuilt as a Pathmark.  Does anyone else remember Grand Way?????

JimSawhill

QuoteOriginally posted by hojoland.com
I never see much talk about Grand Way Department Stores.  They were part of Grand Union.  GU would build a Grand Union Supermarket and a Grand Way Department Store right next to each other.  In fact, if you were inside Grand Way, though there were walls separating the two, you could walk through an open doorway inside into Grand Union, and vice-versa.
In Connecticut, what is now Railroad Salvage in West Haven was a Grand Way, while next door, was a Grand Union (now Shop Rite).  If you go into Railroad Salvage (inside) you can still see the old carpet and flooring and interior design of Grand Way.  Also, in Waterbury's Colonial Plaza on Thomaston Avenue, there used to be a Grand Way and Grand Union.  Grand Way became a flea market, then Colonial Lanes bowling alley, and now Railroad Salvage.  Grand Union became Roller Magic, and later burnt down and was rebuilt as a Pathmark.  Does anyone else remember Grand Way?????

Hmmm...hojoland:

Railroad Salvage is still in business in West Haven? I used to like the Drand-Way in the Manchester Parkade (where Homegoods is now) and next  door was a Grand Union (where Blockbuster is now).

JimS

Anonymous

Yes I remember them.  They were also in New Britain down by East Main Street along with a Grand Union.  There were two Grand Unions, one on East Main Street and one on West Main St next to a very small First National.

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by hojoland.com

Is the railroad salvage still open in West Haven as of 2009? I wanted to go take some pictures and check out the shopping center.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.