Retail Stores in TV Shows, Movies, etc

Started by Anonymous, February 15, 2005, 01:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by jmcnamara96
he also talked about  Sav-On in another episode making fun of photography  

That was the episode I was talking about, but couldn't remember the context in which he was talking about it.

jmcnamara96

This needs to be retilted and on the movie Crank a scene in the mall he runs past a Mervyns

beachgal26

It cracked me up in the movie "Where the Heart Is" when Sally Field recommends that her daughter move into K-Mart since she'd heard that they'd really fixed it up!!   :) :) :) 

jmcnamara96

Im watching a documenrty High on Crack Street: Lost Lives in Lowell and Boo Boo walks into a caldor grads a box of golf clubs and walks out with out any one noticing i cant figure out were its located tho its a square front with brick on either side and stucco in the middle was there one in lowell mass?

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

In a few episodes of the FOX TV show COPS from 1989, which were filmed in Broward County, Florida, a sign for a *Zayre discount store can be seen in the background as a few policemen make arrests on a busy intersection.

TheFugitive

I have to laugh whenever they walk into a drug store on Seinfeld.
They are invariably the worst planograms and end-cap settings I've ever
seen in my life!

If I had ever left that much pegboard showing I'd have been fired on the spot!

MikeRa

You can see a Fine Fare Supermarket in ROCKY V
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Hudsons81

In many episodes of the color Dragnet, Adam-12 and Emergency, signs for various retailers (including supermarkets and gas stations) that had locations in Los Angeles in the late 1960's and 1970's can be seen.

TheFugitive

In the movie Talladega Nights they visit an Applebees.

In the movie "Looney Tunes: Back in Action", a Wal-Mart Supercenter can be seen.

FAO Schwarz can be seen in the Tom Hanks movie "Big".

A Docktor Pet Supply store can be seen in the beginning of "Beethoven".

JCPenney and Robinson's department store can be seen in "Back to the Future".

Toys "R" Us, Jewel, and JCPenney can be found in the movie "Blues Brothers"

Hudsons81

Tastee-Freez was mentioned in the 1982 John Mellencamp song "Jack and Diane."

Taco Bell was featured in the North American (United States/Canada/Mexico) release of the 1993 film "Demolition Man" starring Sylvester Stallone and Wesley Snipes. Taco Bell is presented as a fine dining restaurant in the planned city of San Angeles, California in the year 2032. By the year 2032, Taco Bell has won the "franchise wars" and has become the only restaurant left, resulting in all restaurants being Taco Bell.

Pizza Hut replaces Taco Bell in almost all the foreign versions of "Demolition Man" in countries where Taco Bell is not well-known.

TheFugitive

Quote from: ShopKoFan on September 30, 2014, 06:49:05 PM

Pizza Hut replaces Taco Bell in almost all the foreign versions of "Demolition Man" in countries where Taco Bell is not well-known.

Interesting.  How do they explain the logo with the bell on it?

BillyGr

Quote from: TheFugitive on October 01, 2014, 07:44:06 AM

The dinner bell you ring when you want everyone to come get their pizza? ;)

Quote from: TheFugitive on October 01, 2014, 07:44:06 AM

Well...Does this YouTube video answer your question?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpRzusd9Yi8

Hudsons81

The famous classic McDonald's "Speedee" Golden Arches sign outside of a McDonald's somewhere in Los Angeles (I don't know if it's still there today) appears in the background a few seconds into a 1968 Adam-12 episode (the one where a boa constrictor was hidden in the trunk of a white 1958 Ford) as Reed and Malloy are driving.

The sign, if you're not familiar, looks very similar to this one that used to stand at the McDonald's (still there today, but completely remodeled and expanded) on Eureka Road in Southgate, Michigan, but with two arches:

In the the live-action Flintstones film (released to theaters in 1994), a McDonald's spoof called "RocDonald's" can be seen. Fred Flintstone and the rest of his family order a jumbo brontosaurus rib from RocDonald's before going to the drive-in movie to see "Tar Wars". Other business parodies with prehistoric puns seen throughout the film include "Chevroc" gas stations, "Toy SauRus" toy stores, "CNN: The Cave News Network", and "Triassic World Airlines", as well as "UniverShell Studios". In the Flintstones prequel "Viva Rock Vegas", Betty O'shale (Rubble) works at "Bronto King" which is obviously a prehistoric version of Burger King. Both films are filled with prehistoric puns, just like the cartoons, there's a band called the "B.C. 52's" (a prehistoric version of the B-52's) in the first who perform the show's theme song "Meet the Flintstones" at a public park in Bedrock, called "Jurassic Park". The director of the first film, Steven Spielberg goes by the name "Steven Spielrock". In Viva Rock Vegas, Ann Margaret goes by "Ann Margarock", and Mick Jagger is called "Mick Jagged".

Hudsons81

In the CHIPS episode "Rally 'Round the Bank" (originally aired February 3rd, 1979) one scene has Ponch and Jon (who are joined by a few other people) eating at an outdoor table at an Arby's, also somewhere in Los Angeles (I don't know if it's still there today either). When that scene starts you can see a glimpse of the classic cowboy hat sign (with the changeable letters reading "HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR" or something like that in red), but the building is similar to my local Arby's on Eureka Road in Southgate, Michigan, but the roof is brown. In fact, that scene actually reminded me a bit of how that Arby's used to look like way back in the 1980's, though by then the Southgate location had already received a newer road sign. In fact, the resemblance is so striking that if you were to take a screenshot of that scene, Photoshop out the palm trees and the background building (and replace that building with the one at the southwest corner of Eureka and Barberry Street, currently an H&R block that's to the immediate east of Arby's) and replace all the (California-plated) cars in the background with 1980's equivalents with either this or this as their license plates, you can pretty much recreate what the Eureka Road Southgate Arby's looked like circa 1984.

Hudsons81

In another CHIPS episode titled "Crash Course", the beginning scene before the intro has a man in a blue Dodge Charger using the drive-thru at a vintage Wendy's (the name itself doesn't appear, but the vintage menu board signs are in a shape similar to the old Wendy's logo and the sign on the building itself mentions "FROSTIES") on a street ending in an "orn"-like sound near the I-405 freeway in Los Angeles, where he gets two bags, asks the clerk for ketchup and then attacks and robs him.

About 12-13 minutes into the episode, he later visits a vintage Napa Auto Parts store.

TheFugitive

Caught the 1977 Paul Newman hockey film Slapshot over the weekend.
Filmed in Johnstown, PA at the War Memorial Arena and at various locations around town.

A number of retailers were up and running in Downtown Johnstown at the time and can be seen in the background of this film.  They include RiteAid, Thrift Drug, Revco, Woolworths, and Glosser Brothers (a local Western PA department store chain at the time).  Also the omnipresent State Store (which is what we called our government-owned liquor stores in Pennsylvania until fairly recently)

Unfortunately the real life story of Johnstown mirrors that of the fictional Charlestown in the film.  10,000 mill workers went on waivers.  The hockey team left town.   All of those retail spaces are most likely vacant today.  The population has declined by more than half since that time.

Hudsons81

Quote from: TheFugitive on January 05, 2015, 12:00:39 PM
Caught the 1977 Paul Newman hockey film Slapshot over the weekend.
Filmed in Johnstown, PA at the War Memorial Arena and at various locations around town.

A number of retailers were up and running in Downtown Johnstown at the time and can be seen in the background of this film.  They include RiteAid, Thrift Drug, Revco, Woolworths, and Glosser Brothers (a local Western PA department store chain at the time).  Also the omnipresent State Store (which is what we called our government-owned liquor stores in Pennsylvania until fairly recently)

Unfortunately the real life story of Johnstown mirrors that of the fictional Charlestown in the film.  10,000 mill workers went on waivers.  The hockey team left town.   All of those retail spaces are most likely vacant today.  The population has declined by more than half since that time.

...and only two of those chains still exist today: Rite-Aid and those liquor stores you mentioned.

Hudsons81

Yet another CHIPS episode, "Tiger In The Streets", has a scene about 17 minutes in where Jon and Ponch are seen eating outside of an old-school Church's Chicken, also somewhere in Los Angeles.

Hudsons81

The beginning of the second-to-last act of the Emergency! episode "The Stewardess" (originally aired 9/13/1975) begins with a scene from Engine 51's driver's POV heading down a Los Angeles boulevard. One of several billboards it passes in this scene advertises McDonald's.

The next shot shows a very vintage Radio Shack (vintage enough to predate the logo used until 1995) sign.

HannafordHearts

In the 2011 movie "Dark Horse", there is a scene where a guy goes into a Toys R Us store. What's funny however, is that the Toys R Us logo on the front of the store is blurred out, because the filmmaker did not have permission to use it (this was an independently made film, mind you).

TheFugitive

Saw one I had forgotten last night, in 1988's Rain Man with Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman.

Kmart.  400 Oak St., Cincinnati, Ohio

Finally Google Earthed that address and it is actually a rather elegant looking apartment building.
Not a Kmart anywhere in sight.

Just as well cause.....Kmart Sucks!    ;D

TheFugitive

Old rerun of Matlock this morning at 5:30AM he pulled in and parked across
from a Radio Shack.

store215

Not sure if anyone has checked out the new NBC comedy 'Superstore', but it is most definitely being filmed in a former (or possibly still operating?) Kmart. I've only seen the first episode so far. Pretty cheesy storyline with some funny bits of retail humor, but you can clearly see a lot of Kmart stuff around like the registers and counters, price tags, (and even a 'blooper' where you can see someone quickly pushing a Red Kmart cart (the 'theme' of this fake store is all blue)).

Edit: Upon further research, it looks like it may be being filmed in the still-open Burbank, CA Kmart. The outside shots of that store definitely match the show.

BillyGr

Quote from: store215 on December 07, 2015, 12:49:29 AM
Not sure if anyone has checked out the new NBC comedy 'Superstore', but it is most definitely being filmed in a former (or possibly still operating?) Kmart. I've only seen the first episode so far. Pretty cheesy storyline with some funny bits of retail humor, but you can clearly see a lot of Kmart stuff around like the registers and counters, price tags, (and even a 'blooper' where you can see someone quickly pushing a Red Kmart cart (the 'theme' of this fake store is all blue)).

Edit: Upon further research, it looks like it may be being filmed in the still-open Burbank, CA Kmart. The outside shots of that store definitely match the show.

Well, I guess they have to find some way to make money off the store?

In an episode of The Cleveland Show, Mrs. Brown shops at Stoolmart, whose color scheme resembles that of Ames (turquoise and white).

The Higbee's department store was featured in "A Christmas Story".