Retail Stores in TV Shows, Movies, etc

Started by Anonymous, February 15, 2005, 01:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

AmesmanBBBTB

I know this is not about a particular store but its related to stores and I couldn't figure out any other place to put this.

Ever since the boom of the retail age, stores have been involved in investing in other ways besides commercials.

They have been seen in the media also.

in music,movies,TV, etc. they have had an involvement with our culture

A.K.A. store cameos

heres some examples

Woolworth- seen in movie That Thing You Do

Kmart-mentioned in Lyrics of " Wreck the malls" one of the many songs of the music CD "Twisted Christmas":insane:

Walmart- seen in some famous movies ( even though I'm mentioning them I still dislike them)

Caldor-mentioned in a halloween episode of the Simpsons

have you ever noticed a store(s) mentioned/seen in a song, or TV show or a Movie Film that you saw?

Post it here

( I wonder if Bradlees was famous enough to be even mentioned in the media)

LOL:insane:

Anonymous

In the Movie "Desperate Measures" with Michael Keaton, there is a highway chase in wich an accident occurs. A truck with a Target trailer loses control and you can clearly see the big Target logo with Expect More, Pay Less slogan.

Anonymous

AMESMANBBTB

Quote:
Originally posted by Zayre88
In the Movie "Desperate Measures" with Michael Keaton, there is a highway chase in wich an accident occurs. A truck with a Target trailer loses control and you can clearly see the big Target logo with Expect More, Pay Less slogan.

interesting...:rolleyes::cool:

its funny picturing a Target truck jackknifing:insane:

Anonymous

Not really retail, but more supermarket related:

Everybody Loves Raymond: clearly shows Pathmark
Married With Children: Ralphs (even though show is supposed to be based out of Chicago and Ralphs is a California chain)
Rosseanne(sp?) Dominick's, which is now a Safeway brand
The Simpsons also refer to Safeway in one episode

And an unusual one: Grand Theft Auto III clearly shows at one point a fake billboard for a fake supermarket that clearly uses the Pathmark logo. (The game is supposed to be based out of New York City which would make sense)

Target has been used in many recent movies: I have yet to see Wal-Mart in a movie.

I also remember hearing an Eminem song from about 1995 that has a breif mention of Builder's Square.

If you have ever seen the movie, "The Blues Brothers", they have a drive through an abandonend mall (an actual real mall, Dixie Square Mall in Harvey, Ill. which is still empty), you can see JCPenney, Jewel (grocery store now known as Jewel-Osco and part of Albertsons), Toys R, Us, and some others

If you join the group remembering_retail on Yahoo groups, there was a huge discussion about this a while back

Anonymous

Yeah the Mall in the Blues Brothers is a good example!!

In Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase :

Clark's sled lands in the parking lot of a Wal-Mart and he ends up in a dumpster.

Anonymous

Quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
Quote:
AmesmanBBTB

Pathmark's logo

I think GTA III supermarket's called Supersave

In Driv3r also Burger King I believe makes a cameo too

one called BURGER BURGER in Miami

another in Nice, France named Lucky Burger logos similar to BKs old one

plus Kmart makes a big cameo at the time being BIG K in a movie Kmart becomes part of the storyline because the two main characters in love go inside a REAL Kmart(BIG K) to keep dry from the rain<----- the movie's a love story but I can't recall the name of the film.

AmesmanBBTB

oops I forgot to post Pathmarks logo!:duh:

here it is

I think SuperSave is based on that logo

its actually called Supa Save I've found a picture of it and made a comparison to Pathmark's logo

Anonymous

Quote:
AmesmanBBTB

ALDO- appears in the background of one scene in the movie Elf

(interestingly I've realized that if you take out the C and R of Caldor you get aldo so I'm not sure if its a real store)

around the 1970s 0r early 1980s

Aldo is a Shoe store mainly in malls. However, I have heard of a small chain called ALCO.

Anonymous

The movie "Career Opportunities" is set inside of a Target store and gets featured prominately throughout. It's worth seeing for the sake of Jennifer Connolly.

Caldor1999

tv shows have mentshoin stores in a show or to like in the show the Nanny Blomingdails is mention a lot and so was Macys Cheers mention Filene's a lot on one espsode u even see a chrismas box with Filenes writen on it also Target was avrtised in the Movie Josey And Pussy Cats moved in 2001 and the simspones had hention sortes Suchs As Caldor Safe Way Montgomery Ward Wal Mart and Sears even a BJ's Parody. sorry im a bad speller lol
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
tv shows have mentshoin stores in a show or to like in the show the Nanny Blomingdails is mention a lot and so was Macys Cheers mention Filene's a lot on one espsode u even see a chrismas box with Filenes writen on it also Target was avrtised in the Movie Josey And Pussy Cats moved in 2001 and the simspones had hention sortes Suchs As Caldor Safe Way Montgomery Ward Wal Mart and Sears even a BJ's Parody. sorry im a bad speller lol
also Caldor was mention on Saturda night live back in 1993 i cant rember what they sed but most likely they were making fun of it
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

HoJofan206

A few years back there was a movie called, "Where the Heart is" where the main character was homeless and pregnant so she slept in a tent inside a Wal-Mart store.
When she had the baby the baby was known as "The Wal-Mart baby".  The movie starred Natalie Portman.

The movie was a bit dated in the fact that the girl slept inside the tent at Wal-Mart after the store closed each night.
As we all know Wal-Mart is open 24/7.

HoJofan206

In the year 2000? A movie called "Wonder Boys" was released.  It had a scene where the main Characters (Michael Douglas and Chris O'Donnell met and ate dinner at a Howard Johnson's restaurant.  It was in fact an original Nims styel HoJo restaurant that the studio spent quite a bit of money to update the eatery for is scene in the movie.  The waitress even wore an original HoJo waitress uniform.  Unfortunately, the restaurant closed as  HoJo shortly after and has scene been torn down to make room for a gas station and a Burger King---like we dont have enough of them allready.  HoJo's we miss you! :(

Caldor1999

i was watching the simpsons last week and homer was reading a book called Montgomery Warden and it looked just like the Montgomery Ward logo they used in the early 90's
Caldor Forever!

76fanAmesmanBBTB

I THANK YOU FOR KEEPING THIS TOPIC RUNNING

in the tradition of ten-thirteen productions

"I made this" lol :insane:

HoJofan206

YOUR WELCOME

I am happy to help keep the topic going, in fact, it is a great way to learn retail history from each other. :yup:

Jag67

In "Pee Wee's Big Adventure", when Pee Wee goes down to the shopping center to pick up his bike horn, there's a Woolworth's in the backround

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

Waldbaum's was mentioned  just a few minutes ago on an episode of King of Queens

one of the characters invited to Doug's granfather's party was a Waldbaum's bag man LOL:insane::insane::insane::P

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

On an episode of The Worlds Most Wildest Police Videos some crooks stole money from K-mart and led police on a wild chase and got caught as usual LOL:insane:

crooks are so dumb

I forgot where it happened they'll might re-air it though, seen it more than one on Spike TV

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

union 76 is seen in a lot of movies including:

Diamonds are Forever

Smokey and the Bandit

and Jurrasic Park: The Lost World

Caldor1999

the simpsons latley have been useing reitle in there shows from Montgomery Ward to wal mart aka Sprwal Mart Safe way was even mention

i was also watch reruns of old shows and Rosseanne was on and i saw her carring a bag that had the Garfunkls logo on it thos epsoied was from 1988  2 years before the chin went bankruped
Caldor Forever!

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by HoJofan206
In the year 2000? A movie called "Wonder Boys" was released.  It had a scene where the main Characters (Michael Douglas and Chris O'Donnell met and ate dinner at a Howard Johnson's restaurant.  It was in fact an original Nims styel HoJo restaurant that the studio spent quite a bit of money to update the eatery for is scene in the movie.  The waitress even wore an original HoJo waitress uniform.  Unfortunately, the restaurant closed as  HoJo shortly after and has scene been torn down to make room for a gas station and a Burger King---like we dont have enough of them allready.  HoJo's we miss you! :(

There also another HoJos that can be seen in the original  Blues Brothers

Its in the scene where Jake and Elwood are going to make a phone call ( yes in the booth that gets shot up in the air by Elwood's ex-crazy fiance shotting in with some weapon I forgot what it was) and tell the band to "get a bite to eat" and you can see a lighted Howard Johnson's sign in the background (which is on the roof of the restaurant duh  
:duh: )

If you have this movie (I do) check out this scene and you'll notice it too no lie!:saint:

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB
There also another HoJos that can be seen in the original  Blues Brothers

Its in the scene where Jake and Elwood are going to make a phone call ( yes in the booth that gets shot up in the air by Elwood's ex-crazy fiance shotting in with some weapon I forgot what it was) and tell the band to "get a bite to eat" and you can see a lighted Howard Johnson's sign in the background (which is on the roof of the restaurant duh  
:duh: )

If you have this movie (I do) check out this scene and you'll notice it too no lie!:saint:

I was quick enough to grab my camera and get a shot of the scene !  I first saw the restaurant when they walked to the booth and took the picture during the explosion.

truviking05

He he....on The Simpsons just now they showed Homer working at a store called Sprawl-Mart (with a star between the words) that had the slogan: "If you worked here, you'd be poor by now"...

truviking05

Of course it's true...

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
QuoteOriginally posted by truviking05
He he....on The Simpsons just now they showed Homer working at a store called Sprawl-Mart (with a star between the words) that had the slogan: "If you worked here, you'd be poor by now"...

Are you kidding or are you not wow if this is true THAT MEANS FOX likes to poke fun at WAL*MART!

COOL!

anouther one is were homer is tlaking to falnders about how his leftoriom is doing and he says well i have been loseing costerms since LEFT MART opened witch looked just like Wal Mart lol it hadthe star and evreything:insane:
Caldor Forever!

gshowman18

I just saw today an Office Depot banner blowing in hurricane winds on tv while watching Hurricane Dennis live coverage today LOL:insane:

You have a nerve making fun of people who probably had their homes or businesses damaged, no matter how big or small they are.

gshowman18

Yeah, yeah, yeah whatever you're just trying to make me angry.

I DON'T MAKE FUN OF THINGS WHEN PEOPLE DIE IN DISASTERS AT LEAST!

I NEVER LAUGH WHEN PEOPLE LOSE THEIR HOMES!

look actually things/material ARN'T important THEY CAN BE REPLACED its more important to think about people's lives and if they survived or made it out.

BESIDES JUST TRY TO NOT TO LAUGH AT THE FOOTAGE OF THE RAMADA SIGN BEING BLOWN APART!!!!

IT GOES FROM "RAMADA" TO "RAM" in less than 30 seconds!!!!

look damage from a hurricane WILL always happen until we make more durable material until then DON'T BE SO SERIOUS

SHEESH!!!!

besides I was originally laughing at the fact that I saw a Office Depot banner blowing in the hurricane wind because its an odd way to be spotted in the media!  :insane:

BTW I was hoping you had posted a store/company cameo instead of criticizing oh well :rolleyes:

1.  I didn't mention people dying.  I just said that you shouldn't make fun of businesses, even if it's a Wal-Mart, that have been damaged by a hurricane.

2.  Nobody's laughing if stuff from a hurricane is being damaged or blown away.

Zayre88

Ames cameo in the media - Sept 6 2005 on CBS News

There was a report by Cynthia Bowers that aired around 7:05 about "Camp Katrina" and they shown people based in a camp in a Big Kmart parking lot and i saw an Ames cart twice in the report.  The camp was in Waveland Miss.

http://video.cgi.cbsnews.com/video/video.pl?url=/media/2005/09/06/video818475.wmv&sid=201&dart=news.video3

Ames#1171

I don't know if anyone remembers the movie "The Perfect Storm" with George Clooney, but in one of the scenes, one of the ship crew asks his wife where she got their kid's new shoes from, and she said "There was a sale at Ames"   I'll have to get out the DVD so I can see where in the movie that was.
Ames" border="0

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Ames#1171
I don't know if anyone remembers the movie "The Perfect Storm" with George Clooney, but in one of the scenes, one of the ship crew asks his wife where she got their kid's new shoes from, and she said "There was a sale at Ames"   I'll have to get out the DVD so I can see where in the movie that was.

i remeber tat movie but in  never saw it  i was watching this cheesey 80s flick were some teenages are traped in a mall and theres a sean were one of them is running from teh killer and u see the May Company store in teh backround
Caldor Forever!