Newington Fair Plaza/Newington Gateway Plaza

Started by TRU7536, December 04, 2006, 03:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRU7536

Ok so the Newington fair plaza is no longer! Home to the former Caldors, Toys R Us and Stickleys, os now going to be called the Newington Power Center. It will be home to Sams Club with their own gas station( it has been officially approved by the town after some traffic concerns)Stew Leonards, Toys R Us and Stickeys. Once a dead mall, plaza will bring more life into a already busy Berlin Turnpike. So come join me and say good bye to the Newington Fair Plaza and hello to the Newington Power Center!

XISMZERO

Plaza is gone? Well the active parcels are still there the ones coming in are currently being molded into what they will become. I did a report on it last week on my site. Are they really going to call it "Power Center"? That sounds unusual...
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

good thing i went ther ebefore they did all this i also snaced the r from the caldor logo on there to heh
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

TRU7536

Theirs a lot that people don't know about this plaza. When the plaza first was buit and opened in 1994, the plaza wasn't even half way done. Where Sams Club is going to be, the was suppose to be phase two of the construction. They were going to have like a small plazam where store would connect from Caldors to the old Service Merchandise, but it all fell through.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by TRU7536
Theirs a lot that people don't know about this plaza. When the plaza first was buit and opened in 1994, the plaza wasn't even half way done. Where Sams Club is going to be, the was suppose to be phase two of the construction. They were going to have like a small plazam where store would connect from Caldors to the old Service Merchandise, but it all fell through.

im sure if that happend it would have been torn down quicker but that skida liek a mall right there i wish the service merchandise was stilll there vacant insdtre of that  sicky and audie store which i nevre really heard off
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

XISMZERO

Vacancies are fascinating but their ultimate goal is to find future buyers and be successful. It's what needs to happen. The best we can do is get as many pictures, and remember what they were when they were. Luckilly, I was able to do so with Caldor. I wholeheartedly look forward to Stew's and a bright future for this historically sad plaza. It will be a bit strange to see something thrive here in a shadow of a troubled seven-year Caldor...
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Updated today! They're finally putting up the framework of the facade.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

More construction photos of Stew's today.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

They're hiring. Toys "R" Us' parking lot was plenty filled for a Thursday afternoon, in conjunction with the Christmas shop season...
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Here's the Sam's Club they'll be shutting down by Q3 2007. This is the current store in Berlin on the Berlin-Newington townlines. The plaza it currently shares with Home Depot is aging, and it shows...
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

TRU7536

Hey, has anyone taken any updated pics of stews yet. I was theirast friday, they open in april. They have hiring signs all over the place. If u visit www.stewleonards.com, they show u the design of what its going to look like.

XISMZERO

Hey, has anyone taken any updated pics of stews yet. I was theirast friday, they open in april. They have hiring signs all over the place. If u visit www.stewleonards.com, they show u the design of what its going to look like.

I drove by two days ago. The skeletal facade is now up. I didn't take any photos the last few times I was there probably because it was too cold or I was too lazy. The place is still a long way off and the plaza is still heavily in progress.

On a side note, the former whited-out Caldor sign is still halfway off on the back signage but it's still on there pretty good. I'm planning a hijack attempt next time I go by. Of course, I'll need lower light to do it.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

TRU7536

So Stews opens up this friday in the newington fair. It doesn't even look close to be done. I checked it out on monday. They have their store name up and stuff and repaved parts of the parking lot. The buidling itself looks looks nothing like caldor. As for Sams club, I found out that they were waiting for all the environmental permitts to be cleared. They are going to start very soon on construction.

XISMZERO

THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

TRU7536

Update on Stews. It actually opens next week. however last night the had a preview and i acutally went inside the store. ots very nice looking, but seems small for a 120,000 foot building. but its really nice looking inside, no way u can tell it was ever a caldor.

AmesNewington

I haven't been to Stew's yet, but I really want to. I can't wait to see the store itself, but I also want to see how the plaza is looking. I could drive there on my own, but I don't want to take the chance of the store being too crowded. Probably within the next month or so I'll go.

I also can't wait for Sam's to open a new store in the back of Stew's. I'm convincing my parents to get a membership there. There have been so many rumors regarding Sam's and Home Depot. I heard that Home Depot also wants to move out of Berlin and in to Newington. There are really no big spaces for HD to move in to. They should expand their existing store in to the old Sam's space.

Another speculation is that another building is being constructed in the middle of Stew's Plaza to house a smaller store. I also heard that Sam's is opening a gas station near their store. I think it was on Newington's Web page. Don't hold me to these, but it is really good that this plaza is being used again.

TRU7536

Hey ames newington. Yes their making a gas station where that piece of land is next to stickleys. As for another building being built, its true. Its going to be a 6000 sq foot building bw stickleys and the sams building. As for the home depot rumors, I haven't heard that in 8 yrs. Hd originally wanted that land where sams is going. They wanted to knock down the tru building, have tru move into the caldor site( it would have been a huge tru bru and kru store). Hd was going to pay for all of it. This was back in 99 or 00. My mgn was excited about all this bc tru was informed about this. Plans broke through. I didn't know their was new rumors. Hd just wants to be next to lowes. But their no more room for a huge store like hd to build on the pike. I really think their very very very little land on the pike in the newington part to build stores.

TRU7536

Looks like LA Fitness has opened. Their on their website and i drove by and saw people. need to take pics. They need ot repave that parking lot but i bet their waiting for after winter bc this has been a brutal winter.

AmesNewington

Looks like LA Fitness has opened. Their on their website and i drove by and saw people. need to take pics. They need ot repave that parking lot but i bet their waiting for after winter bc this has been a brutal winter.

Hey TRU7536:

LA Fitness really transformed the Stickley building to their own fast. The building is beautiful, especially from the Pike. One thing I did notice is they didn't bother to do anything with the west side of the building (looking towards Rowley Street). It's still the original building and you could see a bit of the Stickley labelscar.

BTW, now there will be a big empty building on the Pike since Circuit City is closing all of their stores. What do you think could replace it? As far as viable businesses that are still opening stores despite things, I'd love to see a Christmas Tree Shop or even a Kohl's.

TRU7536

It would be extremly hard for Kohls to move on Pike..Circuit City is about 40,000 SF...and it would have to be a store around that size..... and even The Christmastree shop is a tad to small to go into it.... I havent figured out what would be good for that location.....It would cost alot of money to remodel it due to still has the old school look. ......

I think since they were behind, they didnt decide to do the sides of the building or maybe they wouldnt ever..... There front side walk looks old and cracking and the parking lot really needs to be repaved....but this winter has been brutal......

I do see the stores like in Newington, Danbury, Manchester selling out faster then stores like Torrington, Enfield, Meriden...Logic sense.....I can see a clothing store like Marshall...TJ maxx, something that type moving in....but it will be hard for the time being, i can see it empty for some time like all other Circuit City's.....

However after writing all this, i came across a article....maybe we can get another electronic company.... since New England only has Best Buy now.....

But who knows... We all know that Office Depot will be closed for a while and i still trying to figure out what Apple Bees should be....

AmesNewington

I'm not worried about the Office Depot spot. It's barely considered a building in itself. Marshall's is good for Circuit City. That's not a bad idea. In my honest opinion, Applebees should become Olive Garden. That does well at Westfarms. No doubt the same on the Pike. Also there is the former Krispy Kreme/Citibank parcel. I'd love to see Tim Horton's go there as it seems their deal to build next to Wendy's went through (didn't Dunkin Donuts snatch the space up for their 100th Newington location??). They wouldn't have to build, just renovate the building. Hey, it once was a donut shop. What I'm most interested in is another grocery store taking A&P's place down in the Town Center. That's my top priority. Although, I do believe new businesses will take the empty spaces on the Turnpike soon enough.

I'm also looking forward to Joey Garlic's to open up in Shaw's Plaza. I hear that's quite the crowd pleaser! Things are changing in that plaza!

momof3

I 2nd that about Joey garlics, it is excellent.  I too would love to see a Christmas Tree shop open up in town I think they would do really well.  

The old Foodmart in the center is such an eyesore.  The plaza really has gone so downhill from years ago.  I wish someone would open something as well.  

I think Olive garden would do well on the pike too.  Or maybe a Red Lobster.  I can't believe Applebees closed but I heard service was bad, not like in Plainville.

AmesNewington

QuoteOriginally posted by momof3
I 2nd that about Joey garlics, it is excellent.  I too would love to see a Christmas Tree shop open up in town I think they would do really well.  

The old Foodmart in the center is such an eyesore.  The plaza really has gone so downhill from years ago.  I wish someone would open something as well.  

I think Olive garden would do well on the pike too.  Or maybe a Red Lobster.  I can't believe Applebees closed but I heard service was bad, not like in Plainville.

I too wish something was going on at Foodmart plaza. To be honest, I wish a new supermarket would open here soon, as Waldbaum's in West Hartford is becoming unbearable. There is something else out there that is more suitable for me. A new store would give me the advantage I need to "climb the ladder". For some reason, retailers think Newington has enough stores, however, many Newington residents complain there is nothing here. Geissler's, Highland, Big Y, Best Yet, etc, MOVE IN ALREADY!

TRU7536

As for the former citi bank location... i dont see any other fast food joint or any type of food joint in general there. The neigborhood wouldnt allow.... i can see it as another bank since it was rebuilt as a bank.....

For Applebees.... i think we need something that isnt that close to Newington, like Texas Roadhouse(since hartford close down)... we still have HOPS around and thats a good sign...For Olive Garden..... Way too many Italian stlyle places around Newington.....I wish something like Legal Seafood or Grand Lux Cafe would move in..Love those places...

LA Fitness looks nice in the day time and the label of Stickley's on the side is like 20% still their...

I am worried on when Sam's when open.... Been delay but thats due to the mistakes of the contructor.... Probally open(i hope) by this year...

As for Foodmart, its such a eye sore.... I think that a small local food store be perfect...

momof3

I just assumed that Sams was opening very soon because driving by it looked ready to go.  

Where and what is Grand Lux cafe???

and yes a small grocery would be a good fit for the old newington Foodmart but i wouldn't complain if a chain moved it though.

TRU7536

QuoteOriginally posted by momof3
I just assumed that Sams was opening very soon because driving by it looked ready to go.  

Where and what is Grand Lux cafe???

Such a great place.. i think their owned by the Cheese Cake Factory...Based out of Las Vegas... This is the one in Long Island at Rossevelt Fields mall.

momof3

Cool looking building.  I think anything not too upscale would do well in the old Applebees.

Marc82

I am worried on when Sam's when open.... Been delay but thats due to the mistakes of the contructor.... Probally open(i hope) by this year...

Sam's will be opening in August 09. This is straight from the mouth of a Sam's Club employee that I know. There were screw-ups with the permits, etc.

TRU7536

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82

Sam's will be opening in August 09. This is straight from the mouth of a Sam's Club employee that I know. There were screw-ups with the permits, etc.

Thats good to hear. They will be delayed a year but Sams Club been wanting to move there and i am happy with the results of this plaza. Seems so different now and much alive.

AmesNewington

I wish it was going to open sooner, but you never know maybe it will open sooner. It can never be ruled out. It depends on when the contractors get things rolling. I'm quite happy with the outcome of this shopping center. Sam's Club has its own little world in the back corner with a nice spacious lot, which other stores along the pike do not have. I hope they are able to re-open the back entrance up that leads out to Pane Road once Sam's opens.