ALDI FOODS

Started by storehistoryguy, August 09, 2005, 11:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: TRU7536 on April 14, 2012, 03:36:18 PM
They must be popular in the south. The ones around here (hartford area) never seem full and at times empty.

Apparently you've never been to the one in Bristol. The parking lot is always packed. (I don't go there, however. I don't care how good the bargains are the store is dirty and disgusting and understaffed).

JimSawhill

Quote from: TRU7536 on April 14, 2012, 03:36:18 PM
Quote from: retailisking on April 13, 2012, 11:06:14 PM
ALDI has opened a second location in Salisbury, NC (Food Lion's HQ.) This wouldn't ordinarily qualify for a post by my standard, but there are some nice photos and video accompanying this story.
http://www.salisburypost.com/News/041212-Aldi-opening-qcd

They must be popular in the south. The ones around here (hartford area) never seem full and at times empty.

Aldi is popular here... the one on Fletcher is busy with the USF students. The Aldi in Brandon is busy with middle class people.  the old Sweetbay in Sun City Center is rumored to be an Aldi.

retailisking

Kmart4life

I disagree because we are saving nearly $300 per month compared to when we shopped Winn-Dixie. And their quality is not crap it is very good and I personally feel that their products are as good as name brand. ;D

ynkeesfn82

I've noticed from time to time the prices on some items vary by store. Certain items such as milk and eggs are more money at the Aldi in Bristol, CT compared to one of the two locations in nearby Waterbury. And they are more money at the Reidville Drive store in Waterbury compared to the other location.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Kmart4life on April 06, 2013, 09:35:12 PM
I disagree because we are saving nearly $300 per month compared to when we shopped Winn-Dixie. And their quality is not crap it is very good and I personally feel that their products are as good as name brand. ;D

We like Aldi and we shop for Milk there.

zonemad96

They just put one in Westminster, md not long ago it took up part of the old super-fresh along with petco and sweet frog frozen yogurt. The prices are alright but their not amazing or anything and they only sell their products so that means if you want something name brand you have to drive to another store which can be annoying.

TheFugitive

There is something very German about the way they are laid out and organized.
Extremely efficient layouts and systems.

Virtually all of their freight can be pallet-dropped, minimizing the need to stock shelves.
I have seen them operate this store quite well, on a very busy day, with no more than
six employees.

retailisking

After opening its first store in Salem, Aldi continues its focus on border towns; they're coming to Plaistow Center Plaza
http://www.eagletribune.com/latestnews/x1387888896/Town-waiting-for-new-tenant-for-old-Shaws-plaza

Stork of The Weak

Marlton, NJ has both a Trader Joe's and Aldi, but the two are at opposite ends of town. A former Genuardi's near the Trader Joe's is becoming a gourmet family-owned supermarket soon but I forget the name of it. This Genuardi's closed very soon after the Super Fresh in Marlton also closed. It's so weird the two coexisted for so long and closed at the same time. This Super Fresh was very small, out of date, and run down by the time it closed. Before Super Fresh it was one of the last A&P stores opened in the southern half of NJ before A&P left the area, open from 1975 to 1982.

RoleModel

Aldi is opening a location in Patchogue, NY on 4/17. The store was formerly a Sears Hardware.

Stork of The Weak

I noticed a long time ago that the coconut shrimp (they have the name "Sea Queen") sold at Aldi were made in China. As of recent years China has been in the news for food poisoning and food recalls several times. So therefore I would avoid buying food from China, except for maybe what one finds at an Asian supermarket in the USA or anywhere else outside China. Maybe if I found food such as seafood at a gourmet market that were a Chinese product I would trust it, but any food that would appear to be made in China to cut costs (such as no-name canned food at dollar stores) would definitely worry me because obviously the quality would be as low as it could get, and this would probably extend to health/safety standards.

MikeRa

What I've noticed, at least in the Philadelphia area, is that 95% of the Aldi's built from the ground up, the lone exception is the Aldi at Grant Avenue & Acamdey Road, in the NE section of the city.  This particular Aldi started out as a Food Fair/Pantry Pride, then became a Shop 'n' Bag, before finally becoming a Aldi.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

RoleModel

Quote from: MikeRa on June 03, 2014, 06:29:28 PM
What I've noticed, at least in the Philadelphia area, is that 95% of the Aldi's built from the ground up, the lone exception is the Aldi at Grant Avenue & Acamdey Road, in the NE section of the city.  This particular Aldi started out as a Food Fair/Pantry Pride, then became a Shop 'n' Bag, before finally becoming a Aldi.

Of the ones on LI, Bay Shore, Lindenhurst and Riverhead were new builds, Lake Grove (former Trader Joe's, lol) and Patchogue (former Sears Hardware) were not.

TheFugitive

Quote from: RoleModel on June 03, 2014, 11:12:14 PM

Of the ones on LI, Bay Shore, Lindenhurst and Riverhead were new builds, Lake Grove (former Trader Joe's, lol) and Patchogue (former Sears Hardware) were not.

Guess that's how you know the neighborhood is going down the tubes.
When your Trader Joe's store converts to an Aldi.    ;D

RoleModel

Quote from: TheFugitive on June 04, 2014, 09:15:00 AM
Quote from: RoleModel on June 03, 2014, 11:12:14 PM

Guess that's how you know the neighborhood is going down the tubes.
When your Trader Joe's store converts to an Aldi.    ;D

Quite the opposite: http://hauppauge.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/trader-joes-to-move-closer-to-competitor

Funny stuff happens when companies jockey for position near a huge shopping destination like Smithhaven Mall. There's Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Aldi, Waldbaum's and a (soon to be open) Fairway. Stop & Shop had a store in the same shopping center that Fairway's going into (but not the same spot), but closed it a few years ago as it was a ratty non-Super store unlike the nearby South Setauket store.

TheFugitive

Kind of like West Mifflin, PA where the Walmart store moved up the hill to a new
Super Walmart, and Sam's Club moved into the old Walmart location.  I guess.

ynkeesfn82

Bristol, CT was built from the ground up where Grossman's was.

New Britain, CT is in the old IGA on Farmington Ave in the plaza next to a vacant Walmart. This spot was always a grocery store. It was a location of the New Britain based Sussman's chain back in the day. In fact I think the Sussman Family still owns the plaza.

ynkeesfn82

The problem with Aldi  being next to The empty Walmart in New Britain is, it will prevent a future owner of the Walmart property from putting a supermarket there. In the city of New Britain they have a rule on the books that 2 grocery stores/supermarkets can't be side by side. Since New Britain is desperate to bring businesses (and job and people) to the city I'm sure that a future owner of The Walmart Property can go before the New Britain Planning and Zoning Commission and get a wavier to put a Supermarket in that building. The rule about not allowing two groceries stores side by side brings me to this story.

City Councilors in Bristol did not want Price Chopper to open in the old KMART (which was the old Caldor) because it was right next to Shaw's. Price Chopper and the landlord were planning on suing the city. Not wanting to be sued, the city caved and let Price Chopper open. PC opened in January 2004 and business went down at Shaw's. Eventually it picked back up, but not to the pre Price Chopper levels and Shaw's closed their doors in July 2009 which was before Shaw's pulled out of Connecticut all together. In July 2013 a Walmart Neighborhood Market opened in the old Shaw's, but it's not doing that well. Personally I like it. It's nothing like Walmart.

TheFugitive

When Walmart went into the former Hills and Ames location in Heidelberg, PA, they voluntarily agreed not to
build a Super Walmart there because there was already an established supermarket operating in the same plaza.

But every time I go in there they seem to be sneaking more and more food into the mix.  The whole front
of the store is pretty much grocery by now, including quite a few dairy and freezer cases.

MikeRa

New Aldi locations in Pa & NJ that will be opening this year in former Bottom Dollar Food locations:

New Jersey
Bellmawr: 156 W. Browning Road (Former Bottom Dollar Food)
Bordentown: 262-C Route 130 (Former Bottom Dollar Food)
Cherry Hill: 2110 Route 38 (Former Bottom Dollar Food)
East Windsor: 440 US Hwy 130 (Former Bottom Dollar Food)
Edgewater Park: 4225 South Route 130 (Former Bottom Dollar Food)
Glassboro: 812 North Delsea Drive (Former Bottom Dollar Food)
Lumberton:n1636 Route 38 (Former Bottom Dollar Food)
Trenton:2735 S. Broad Street (Former Bottom Dollar Food)
Woodbury: 203 S. Broad Street (Former Bottom Dollar Food)
Pennsylvania
Allentown: 1856 Catasauqua Road (Former Bottom Dollar Food)
Coatesville: 154 Airport Road (Former Bottom Dollar Food)
Lansdowne: 48 W Baltimore Avenue (Former Bottom Dollar Food)
Levittown: 2990 Edgely Road (Former Bottom Dollar Food)
Philadelphia: 6119 N Broad Street (Former Bottom Dollar Food)
Philadelphia: 3975 Castor Avenue (Former Bottom Dollar Food)
Philadelphia: 3101 West Girard Avenue (Former Bottom Dollar Food)
Philadelphia: 9303 Krewstown Road (Former Bottom Dollar Food)
Philadelphia: 7900 Roosevelt Boulevard (Former "A Frame" Acme Markets/Bottom Dollar Food)
Souderton: 703 Route 113 (Former Bottom Dollar Food)
Willow Grove: 1955 Davisville Road (Former Bottom Dollar Food)

TheFugitive

The former Bottom Dollar in Carnegie, PA (Pittsburgh area) has also been announced as a future
Aldi location.

I just drove by the former location in Castle Shannon, PA, and the "For Lease" signs have just gone up.
So I am presuming no Aldi there.

JimSawhill

Aldi has a store in East Hartford. Where the store is was an old First National, then Top Notch, Best's (Top Notch Warehouse store. Top Notch was owned by my friend's family. They had about 8 stores 2 in East Hartford, 2 in Manchester, and one in Glastonbury.). After Best, it became a fabric store, then the Salvation Army  store before being vacant for 10 years...

MikeRa

Banners are up of those former Bottom Dollar Foods that are to become Aldi, as seen in this pic of the Woodbury, NJ location

buzz86us

I like competition for my supermarket dollar currently I go between Price Rite and Aldi. Price Rite has better prices on some things like Peanut Butter, Jelly and a better selection of meats.. while Aldi has better prices on some produce, eggs etc. If Lidl joins the fray then the competition will heat up even more.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on June 05, 2014, 12:11:47 PM
Bristol, CT was built from the ground up where Grossman's was.

New Britain, CT is in the old IGA on Farmington Ave in the plaza next to a vacant Walmart. This spot was always a grocery store. It was a location of the New Britain based Sussman's chain back in the day. In fact I think the Sussman Family still owns the plaza.

What happened to Sussman's?

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: JimSawhill on June 03, 2015, 06:45:48 AM
What happened to Sussman's?

The family got out of the grocery biz a long time ago, but they have other business ventures. They own commercial and residential real estate. They own the plaza in New Britain where their store used to be that is now an Aldi. (The plaza is losing its Dunkin' Donuts soon). They own the plaza in Berlin (Kensington) where their store used to be, which is now vacant. They own an apartment complex on Stanley Street in New Britain.

EddieJ1984

Passing by the krewstown rd location here in philly, they have removed the slanted facade that bottom dollar used.

HannafordHearts

They are building a new Aldi in North Port, FL, near where I currently live.