ALDI FOODS

Started by storehistoryguy, August 09, 2005, 11:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

Marc82

Aldi's reminds me of a giant convience store. The nearest one to me is on the corner of Route 229 and Pine Street in Bristol, CT. They ripped down the former Grossman's Home Impovement Store to build it.  I think it's cool that their cashiers get to sit down while they work. I can't tell you how many times in the 3 months I was a cashier at Shaw's I wanted to sit down.

XISMZERO

Aldi probably allows their employees do things most stores don't because of what Aldi is all about bare essentials. Aldi is a store which does not emphasize image or glamour that most stores like Stop & Shop, and Shaw's live by. If you shop Aldi, you know what you're getting: thrift. You know this when you see that their store designs are very insipid with old orange/brown interiors, pallet filled floors, looking almost like a third world market, self-bagging groceries. Conveniences like shopping carts, and bags you pay extra for at Aldi as well. This is how they keep their prices so low - by cutting non-essential costs most supermarkets offer as conveniences.

If you've ever seen an Aldi store, you might've also noticed they close early (8PM) and they're also closed on Sundays. Note how their efficient pay-shopping cart system works and their property always clean and orderly.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

The one in Bristol is now open on Sundays. I don't know about the others. I believe their Sunday hours are 10-5,

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO

If you've ever seen an Aldi store, you might've also noticed they close early (8PM) and they're also closed on Sundays. Note how their efficient pay-shopping cart system works and their property always clean and orderly.

Cart Deposits work so well on Shopping Carts. People are so concerned with getting their quarters back, that they will return the cart to the corral. My store used to have them, and did away with them earlier this year. Practically overnight, the parking lot went from very tidy, to carts being left all over the place.

store215

Just about every market in the early 90's switched to the quarter things on the carts but most were dumped after only a few years..I wonder why.

powersbt

The reason why my store dumped theres is because the manufacturer of the Cart Locks went out of Business so to get replacement parts, etc. was impossible. They did have their disadvantages. Many people felt that they shouldn't have to "pay" to get a shopping cart.

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Just about every market in the early 90's switched to the quarter things on the carts but most were dumped after only a few years..I wonder why.

d_fife

I noticed their hours too and find those hours dumb they have and they cannot compete with other supermarkets with those hours and they are like walgreens mixed with shaw's or stop and shop

d_fife

the aldi in ashtabula oh

TRU7536

I just wanted to know more about this company. Their opening one in newington. Theirs a few in CT. Their small and specialize in certain foods. You also have to bring your own shopping bags, that's all I know.

webcookie

You have to put a quarter in a slot to get a wagon. You get it back when you return the wagon.
Before there was Wal-Mart...
Caldor, Zayre, Woolworth, Bradlees, K-Mart, & Ames ruled the Earth.

HoJofan206

A wagon?  Do you mean a shopping cart?  :huh:

d_fife

aldi's in warren pa

XISMZERO

Brand new ALDI coming in Fall 2007 on Farmington Avenue in New Britain, CT (next to Wal-Mart/former Caldor). Formerly an IGA, which closed up shop mid-Summer.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Brand new ALDI coming in Fall 2007 on Farmington Avenue in New Britain, CT (next to Wal-Mart/former Caldor).
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

GothicPrincess

The Aldi's here in Greensburg, PA uses the quarter cart system which keeps the lots clearer and makes plowing in winter time easier. They use the signage system inside the stores, and the layout of the store keeps the front doors blocked on the side so that once you're in you can't get out without walking through the check-out area. They charge for bags, but the boxes are free, and the cashiers usually take time when they can to collect from the pallets in the aisles just like Save-A-Lot does. Yes, we have one of those too, I used to work there. And it sucked big time. Horrible benefits, not worth getting when you're only part time, crappy hours, dirty looking store. The manager was a jack-off, the 2nd in charge is now currently my very best friend, we became friends right before I quit there. I tried to get a job in Aldi's but they never called. I guess 13 years in retail just doesn't qualify me for a position...
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
Brand new ALDI coming in Fall 2007 on Farmington Avenue in New Britain, CT (next to Wal-Mart/former Caldor). Formerly an IGA, which closed up shop mid-Summer.

New Britain ALDI opening Monday November 12, 2007!

patk

a new ALDI in Lancaster PA it Opened on 8/30/07

Marc82

Aldi is planning a store in West Hartford, Connecticut on New Park Avenue on property where there is already a BJs and a Home Depot. A Petsmart planned for the property back in 1997 was never built.

http://www.courant.com/news/local/fv/hc-whdmarket0116.artjan16,0,5138480.story

Anonymous

theres a new aldis in cary nc!
im not at home ill post pics soon
cya form patk!

Crawford

Aldi is supposedly moving into Rhode Island. They are taking over several markets that have been vacant for years. 2 aren't in the best of areas and the others are in blue collar neighborhoods. I've never heard of this chain before, from what I can tell they are like a Price Rite or Sav-A-Lot.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

patk

theres an ALDI in Warwick RI it opened on March 3rd!
the Address is
444 Quaker Lane!

C. Fontaine

Yup I was just there the other day.  It's right in front of Lowe's and behind Denny's.

patk

JimSawhill

Aldi is building a store in East Hartford. They tore down the old Finast/TopNotch/Best Food Warehouse/3 D salvation Army store.

Sav-A-lot is in East Hartford. It is in the old downtown Finast, Arthur's, Walgreens store.

patk

Marc82

I hate them. I refuse to shop there even though I drive by them several times a day. (The one at the corner of Middle and Mountain in Bristol). I go to the Stop & Shop further down the street.  (On Pine Street).

Joeg

were getting one in east hartford.  Marc, any word on Shop-Rite's opening in the old Price Chopper in Waterbury??

AmesNewington

Marc, what is it you don't like about Aldi? Is it just the Bristol location or the chain itself?