ALDI FOODS

Started by storehistoryguy, August 09, 2005, 11:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRU7536

Aldi Newington opens up first week of august, got something in the mail from them. I beleives its August 6th, don't remember. They sure did clean up that piece of land though, looks nice!

AmesNewington

It's Monday, August 4th (close enough). That building went up pretty quickly.

Joeg

The one in East Hartford opens on Aug 4th

Marc82

They're opening a 2nd store in Waterbury, CT on August 14. It's gonna be in CVS plaza at 464 Reidville Drive. Stop & Shop is located just down the road at 410 Reidville Drive.

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
Marc, what is it you don't like about Aldi? Is it just the Bristol location or the chain itself?

The Bristol one is the only one I've been to. It's not very clean. That's why I don't like them.

patk

then go to new one :yup:

Mobil

On Ogontz Ave. in Philadelphia, there is a former A&P turned Aldi. Odd because they moved the entrance to the side of the store.

Joeg

I thought the Sav a lot on Main ST in East Hartford CT was a Grand Union a looooong time ago.

Crawford

The Aldi in Rumford RI opened a couple of weeks ago. It is in the former Ocean State Job Lot (itself a former Grants) in the Gansett Plaza. The building has actually been divided. 2/3 are the Aldi, the remaining 1/3 is vacant. Market was pretty busy for a Sunday. I don't see the big deal. The market carries nothing of what I usually buy. Guess I'll do my shopping at the Stop and Shop nearby.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

standa

Does anyone know where the ALDI opening soon in New Haven, CT will be located?

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: standa on April 21, 2009, 09:04:40 AM
Does anyone know where the ALDI opening soon in New Haven, CT will be located?

According to Aldi's website the New Haven store is at 480 Foxon Boulevard.

ynkeesfn82

I'm trying to find more info, but the Bristol, CT store is closed until further notice because of a hazmat situation yesterday due to the failure of their refridgeration units.

retailisking

ALDI is opening its first store in the Boston area (their sixth in MA) in June:

http://news.bostonherald.com/business/general/view/2011_0325discount_grocer_aldito_ring_up_in_medford/

Meanwhile, they are said to be scoping out real estate in the Salem area for a possible first NH location:

http://supermarketnews.com/retail_financial/ar/market-forces-0321/

zayre159

ALDI FOODS

Looks like they broke ground in salem nh

in Lowes-Namco plazza.

retailisking

According to the planning documents it's just to the left of NAMCO and to the right of Sovereign Bank (which is relocating its HQ from PA to MA.) The Stateline Shopping Center, by the way, fully lives up to its name; part of the parking lot is actually in Methuen, MA!  They're already hiring for the new store. I wonder if they'll cannibalize Market Basket or finish off Shaw's...

Kmart4life

I like ALDI they have really good prices ;D

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Kmart4life on September 29, 2011, 09:43:42 PM
I like ALDI they have really good prices ;D

Prices seem to vary by location. For example I've seen some products more expensive at the Aldi's in Bristol, Connecticut down the street from where I live than at the Waterbury Aldi's. Maybe because Bristol and Waterbury have very different demographics. A lot of people in Waterbury are poorer than the people who live in Bristol. (I'm sure there's a better way to phrase that, but I'm too tired to think of it).

zayre159

Aldi now open Salem NH
What at dud!
Lots of knock off products in Look a like branded packaging.
at 7:00 pm on their second nite store was about 50% crowded but no one
at the registers buying! I think everyone was looking before they went up
the road to the big Market Basket.
Next up......Haverhill Market Basket. Mar 17 I hear.

retailisking

Honestly, what were you expecting of the selection of products at an ALDI store?  This is how they and Save-A-Lot operate. Can't speak to the lack of business on the second night of business, but they were mobbed on opening day:

http://www.eagletribune.com/newhampshire/x1225453880/Aldi-opens-first-N-H-store-in-Salem

zayre159

I was'nt expecting any thing more than what i found but i don't see the logic of a store
like that in this area.
The saving's were not enough to justify the extra inconvenice.
Many better choices in this area.

store215

I shop at Aldi on occasion (every few weeks) and love it! I am not one for name brands anyway, so that part didn't scare me away. Just about everything I have bought has been equal or better than the name brand. They also have a neat selection of imported (German) candy and the like. The basic items are significantly cheaper than the other grocery stores (although Wegmans still has them beat on some things). If you need to stock up on ketchup/mustard/jelly/etc., Aldi is hard to beat for the basics. Here, 99 cents for a loaf of wheat bread, 43 cents/lb. bananas,  and 89 cents for dozen eggs are the lowest around. You obviously cannot do a full shopping trip here, and still not sure I would buy the fresh meat offerings, but you can really save if you aren't too picky. You do have to "rent" a shopping cart, bag your own groceries, and they only take cash or debit cards, but it really isn't too much of a hassle.

Scrabbleship

Quote from: zayre159 on March 03, 2012, 01:17:27 PM
I was'nt expecting any thing more than what i found but i don't see the logic of a store
like that in this area.
The saving's were not enough to justify the extra inconvenice.
Many better choices in this area.

Having two Market Baskets really spoils Salem. I have relatives there and they didn't know how Aldi worked until I told them which shows that unlike NYC/DC Aldi didn't drive people nuts with promotional stuff.

Seriously, they built there because they can take from the NH base and also get their traditional base from across the border (think Lawrence/Haverhill) and that land is cheaper. Add in the ease of selling beer and wine...

retailisking

Yeah, don't dismiss the beer & wine aspect; that's part of the reason why Trader Joe's is moving their Tyngsboro, MA store over the state line to Nashua, NH.

GothicPrincess

I love Aldi's. In the area I live in, it's directly across the highway from Giant Eagle, and up the road is Shop N Save. No inconvenience here for me, only because if I'm up that way for one thing, it's not taking anything from me to go the extra minute of drive-time to grab something needed from Aldi's. And I get the hamburger in the pouch thing, actually eating one now lol delicious. For the most part, I get meats from Giant Eagle though. But basics, condiments, cat food and litter, eggs, tater tots/fries, cases of soda and water, cereal for my non-picky kids, (I'm picky, I like my Lucky Charms), cans of tuna, just general stuff, I get mostly there. What I can't get there, I go to Giant Eagle for. Once in a blue moon Shop N Save depending on the weekly sale, Wacky Wednesday specials, and 2 day sales. I am majorly on a budget, so it's really good for my family...and one other thing. At Christmas time, Easter, things like that, you really can't beat their prices for the cookie decorating supplies.........
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

zonemad96

i heard rumors that ones coming to westminster md in part of the old superfresh but i haven't been able to confirm it does anyone know if its true or not

JimSawhill

Quote from: Joeg on September 28, 2008, 11:45:27 AM
I thought the Sav a lot on Main ST in East Hartford CT was a Grand Union a looooong time ago.

The Grand Union was torn down to make the park. The Sav a lot is where the FINAST/Arthur's Food/Walgreen's was...

retailisking

ALDI has opened a second location in Salisbury, NC (Food Lion's HQ.) This wouldn't ordinarily qualify for a post by my standard, but there are some nice photos and video accompanying this story.
http://www.salisburypost.com/News/041212-Aldi-opening-qcd

TRU7536

Quote from: retailisking on April 13, 2012, 11:06:14 PM
ALDI has opened a second location in Salisbury, NC (Food Lion's HQ.) This wouldn't ordinarily qualify for a post by my standard, but there are some nice photos and video accompanying this story.
http://www.salisburypost.com/News/041212-Aldi-opening-qcd

They must be popular in the south. The ones around here (hartford area) never seem full and at times empty.