Aldi acquires Winn-Dixie and Harveys chains, 400 locations

Started by TheFugitive, August 17, 2023, 08:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

Crazybangles

I am really not sure how to feel about this decision. I much prefer Winn Dixie over Publix, whenever I am in Florida I prefer to go to Winn Dixie. I've already heard, and SE Grocers (parent company of Winn Dixie) has confirmed that all pharmacists in all locations will be laid off. An incredibly wrong move on so many levels if you ask me.

As for some locations being converted to ALDI and some remaining Winn Dixie, this could go so many ways. It depends on how many locations ALDI wants to keep as Winn Dixie/Harvey's and which ones will convert to ALDI. Most ALDI stores employ 10 people or less, while an average Winn Dixie store probably employs quite a bit more than that. On top of all the pharmacy layoffs, no matter how many stores are going to be converted, this is sounding like a huge loss of jobs just waiting to happen.

I know SE Grocers as a company had been looking for someone to acquire them after a failed attempt to go public in 2021, but I feel there should be a much better company to purchase the chain instead. There are already well over 100 locations ALDI does not intend on purchasing. The future of those stores is unknown, and this is yet another huge problem. At the same time, I am interested in seeing what they plan on doing with the locations that will remain Winn Dixie.

TheFugitive

Aldi absolutely runs much leaner from a payroll standpoint than any other grocery chain.  It's how they keep the discount pricing.  If a traditional supermarket becomes an Aldi many jobs are lost for sure.

I've noticed here around Pittsburgh that many grocery stores which used to have pharmacies have closed them.  Either they've given up trying to compete with the big boys or they just can't hire enough pharmacists (a labor shortage persists there).

Crazybangles

Just heard a couple of days ago that the remaining Winn Dixie pharmacies are starting to close. Prescriptions are being transferred to nearby Walgreens and CVS locations. I don't know the specifics of which locations are closing when, but I have heard rumor that pharmacies around the Tampa area will be closing October 16th. Time will tell if this is actually the case. I've heard Winn Dixie has slowly closed in store pharmacies over the years, but I seriously have a feeling Aldi may have been involved in the decision to close the rest of them, as I wouldn't think they would have an interest in operating pharmacies.

BillyGr

Quote from: Crazybangles on September 30, 2023, 12:18:15 PMJust heard a couple of days ago that the remaining Winn Dixie pharmacies are starting to close. Prescriptions are being transferred to nearby Walgreens and CVS locations. I don't know the specifics of which locations are closing when, but I have heard rumor that pharmacies around the Tampa area will be closing October 16th. Time will tell if this is actually the case. I've heard Winn Dixie has slowly closed in store pharmacies over the years, but I seriously have a feeling Aldi may have been involved in the decision to close the rest of them, as I wouldn't think they would have an interest in operating pharmacies.

It has been noted elsewhere that the pharmacy sell off was planned for before the Aldi acquisition, so they may not really have much (if anything) to do with that happening.

Crazybangles

I'd be interested in hearing more about that if there is a source where you found that.

TheFugitive

Quote from: BillyGr on September 30, 2023, 01:09:29 PM
Quote from: Crazybangles on September 30, 2023, 12:18:15 PMJust heard a couple of days ago that the remaining Winn Dixie pharmacies are starting to close. Prescriptions are being transferred to nearby Walgreens and CVS locations. I don't know the specifics of which locations are closing when, but I have heard rumor that pharmacies around the Tampa area will be closing October 16th. Time will tell if this is actually the case. I've heard Winn Dixie has slowly closed in store pharmacies over the years, but I seriously have a feeling Aldi may have been involved in the decision to close the rest of them, as I wouldn't think they would have an interest in operating pharmacies.

It has been noted elsewhere that the pharmacy sell off was planned for before the Aldi acquisition, so they may not really have much (if anything) to do with that happening.

Anecdotally I can tell you that a number of supermarkets in my area which used to have in-store pharmacies have closed them in recent years.  Likely this is due to a combination of intense competition from the big chains and mail order pharmacies, as well as a continuing severe labor shortage of qualified pharmacists.  It would appear that Aldi has no desire to deal with such headaches.

Crazybangles

I found an article online about the first location that will be becoming an Aldi. If this article is correct, whether or not a store gets converted will likely depend on its proximity to other Aldi locations. https://www.cltampa.com/food-drink/tampa-winn-dixie-on-mlk-among-first-local-stores-to-become-an-aldi-16514370

TheFugitive

As happened here when Aldi acquired Bottom Dollar Foods.  Some locations became Aldi stores (which they still are today).  The Bottom Dollar location where I used to shop was deemed to close too another Aldi store so it became a Planet Fitness.