Kroger

Started by tokensafari, January 06, 2005, 07:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

QuoteThose are Albertson's brands.  I know Acme has a handful of stores in CT (that they got from the bankruptcy of A&P), all in the corner closest to NY State.  Not sure if the other two are there also, but if so likely just as limited.

Unless they figure on expanding at some point (since Shaw's, also part of the company now, pulled out of CT it's the "gap" between those few Acme locations and the rest of Shaw's in RI/MA/VT/NH/ME for the overall company).

Yes, and Kroger has been trying to acquire Albertsons.  That has been slow-going as the Federal Government, states and consumer groups have been challenging it on antitrust grounds.  I did see where one of those lawsuits got tossed the other day.

BillyGr

Quote from: TheFugitive on August 10, 2023, 02:05:12 PM
QuoteThose are Albertson's brands.  I know Acme has a handful of stores in CT (that they got from the bankruptcy of A&P), all in the corner closest to NY State.  Not sure if the other two are there also, but if so likely just as limited.

Unless they figure on expanding at some point (since Shaw's, also part of the company now, pulled out of CT it's the "gap" between those few Acme locations and the rest of Shaw's in RI/MA/VT/NH/ME for the overall company).

Yes, and Kroger has been trying to acquire Albertsons.  That has been slow-going as the Federal Government, states and consumer groups have been challenging it on antitrust grounds.  I did see where one of those lawsuits got tossed the other day.

I know that has been in the works.  The point is that even with that, Acme only has a small number of stores in the state, and some of the towns/cities mentioned on those job posts are beyond the areas that any stores are in.

So, either they are thinking of expanding, or maybe one of those delivery only setups like they have done elsewhere (hiring people from towns they would deliver to, to pick up from a central spot and bring deliveries back to their own area(s))?

TheFugitive

If they intend to keep those stores and not close them/sell them off it would make sense for Kroger to also open some new ones.  There are certain economies at scale in play where if you are going to remain in an area and provide distribution centers and support you need to run with a minimum number of stores in order to maximize your return on investment.

How competitive is Connecticut as a grocery market at this point?  I haven't been there since I worked for Ames 30+ years ago.

BillyGr

Not really sure.

Last I knew Stop & Shop is around most areas, Big Y is in some parts of the state and there are a few other things (like some ShopRite locations, as well as their PriceRite brand) that took over some of the Shaw's locations when they pulled out, along with a few A&P spots (PriceRite going into some of the older and smaller stores as they fit those better).
Also, I'm pretty sure still a few scattered Price Chopper/Market 32 stores (likely mostly on the NY side of the state), but not sure that it is many.

Crazybangles

Earlier this month, on September 8th, Kroger announced 413 stores will be divested as part of this plan. Here is the press release I found about that:

Press Release