Former Perkins in Watertown, NY

Started by BillyGr, March 29, 2006, 09:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyGr

See if you can guess which chain this restaurant started out as.  It is one NOT listed as a post on the board (unless I missed it, but I checked several times).

Obviously today is is a local mexican restuarant (they have 2 in the Albany area).

amesman

I've always wondered about this place myself. Ponderosa doesn't fit, because of the old Wolf Road location. Maybe a Perkins?

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
I've always wondered about this place myself. Ponderosa doesn't fit, because of the old Wolf Road location. Maybe a Perkins?

DING DING DING - We have a winner - That was fast!

Yes, it was a Perkins - as far as I know the only one in the area.

amesman

powersbt

There was one in Southside Oneonta. I'm almost positive that it is now Dennys. That was the only one I knew of.

amesman

Actually, the Dennys in Oneonta was an old Howard Johnson's, but the design is very close.

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
Actually, the Dennys in Oneonta was an old Howard Johnson's, but the design is very close.

There was one down there. I remember stopping there for Breakfast a few times during the late '80s, early '90s.

mikey7290

There used to be a Perkins about an hour from me in Watertown, NY.  It was located on Arsenal Street and was originally a Howard Johnsons, which was remodeled when it became Perkins.  The Perkins restaurant didn't last very long, and the building stood vacant and boarded up for quite some time before the property was sold and the building demolished and replaced by an Advance Auto Parts, which still occupies the site today.

david121

I thought Perkins was in the hotel, not where Advance Auto Parts is? Right now, I think it is a local Thai resturant... before that it was a second, mini Jeans Beans (a local place that makes some damn good food)

mikey7290

QuoteOriginally posted by david121
I thought Perkins was in the hotel, not where Advance Auto Parts is? Right now, I think it is a local Thai resturant... before that it was a second, mini Jeans Beans (a local place that makes some [Censored] good food)

That location you are thinking of was a place called "Grinders" after the Jeans Beans closed.  All I know is that I have a 1978 Watertown City Street Directory and it says that the Howard Johnson's (later Perkins) was at 1200 Arsenal and that is where the AAP is today.  Of course I think I might remember the old Perkins being on the site of the old Jeans Beans.