Convenience Stores Closing

Started by ameskmart1, April 25, 2006, 09:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey7290

Has anyone ever had a convenience store/gas station in their area close?  Here in Ogdensburg, NY, we have a Sugar Creek Store (owned by Wilson Farms) that is closing August 22 and now Stewart's Shops announced it is closing one of its two stores here (the one on State Street will close this Sunday, August 10 at midnight.)  The reason is that the two stores were pre-existing (Sugar Creek was originally a Speedy Grocery and Stewart's was a Bonfare.)  The companies decided they just don't want to put any more money into maintaining the buildings.  Hopefully they won't stay empty for long.

Mobil

Woolworth (1997, downtown Houston)
Service Merchandise (2001, Houston) subdivided into Pier 1 and Circuit City
Ames (2002, Vineland NJ, now Forman Mills and Harbor Freight Tools)
Builders Square (1999, Houston TX, now Sam's Club)
Drug Emporium (2003, Broomall PA, a former A&P, now Gold's Gym)
Frank's Nursery (2004, Springfield PA, demolished for Filene's Basement and DSW)
Lechters Housewares (2001, Media PA)
Organized Living (2005, Glen Mills PA, now Gymboree and other stores)
Bombay (2007, Wilmington DE, still vacant)
OfficeMax (2006, Springfield PA, now PetSmart)
RadioShack (2006, Holmes PA, mall is now closed)

videogamer75

I know I can't remember them all off they top of the head but I know I was at the Hammonton, NJ Jamesway's GOB sale in 1995, although at a very young age.  That store is now a Shop-Rite supermarket. The other day I was at the Office Depot in Mays Landing,NJ which is currently having its closing sale. I also went to a moving sale for a Circuit City in Egg Harbor Township, NJ in 2004.

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
I know I can't remember them all off they top of the head but I know I was at the Hammonton, NJ Jamesway's GOB sale in 1995, although at a very young age. The other day I was at the Office Depot in Mays Landing,NJ which is currently having its closing sale. I also went to a moving sale for a Circuit City in Egg Harbor Township, NJ in 2004.

Circuit City at Shore Mall moved?

Office Depot closed many stores in 2000, including the one across from Shore Mall. There was one near me that closed but somehow reopened years later.

videogamer75

Yes, the Circuit City moved to a new location in the Hamilton Commons strip mall with The Sports Authority, Marshalls, Bed Bath & Beyond, Ross, Chuck E Cheese's, Five Below and other big box stores. The old CC at the Shore Mall became a K&G clothes store in 2006.

Big Lots! is now in the space where the old Office Depot is, and even before that it was a Rickel Hardware.

Ames#1171

The Middleburg Heights, Brooklyn, and Parma Ames GOB Sales.

The Parma Medic Drug GOB Sale.

The Parma Value City Store Closing Sale.

The Brooklyn and Garfield Heights Store Closing Sales.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
Ames" border="0

TRJ22487

Only ones that come to mind are the Bradlees in Keene NH and the Ames in West Lebanon NH/Walpole NH

Probably went to others such as Rich's and Caldor just can't remember it

jmcnamara96

Ames in Lowell Mass
Ames in Derry NH
Ames in Salem NH
KB Toys Pheasant Lane Mall NH
Hallmark Pheasant Lane Mall NH
Linens and Thing Nashua NH
Osco Drug Apple Tree Mall Londonderry NH
Kitchen ETC in Mall of New Hampshire

jmcnamara96

also
Bradlees in Nashua NH
Bradlees IN Manchester NH

C3Nostalgia

Lets see.  I've been to a few. (In chronological order, although I can't remember any dates)

Sun TV - West Mifflin, Pa (Now Pool City)
Hills - Belle Vernon, Pa (Later Ames, then Ollie's Bargain Outlet)
Service Merchandise - West Mifflin, Pa (Now Precision Response Corporation)
Montgomery Ward - Charleroi, Pa (Now South Pennsylvania Human Services)
Ames - West Mifflin, Pa (Moved from Rt. 51 to Hills building, Now Big Lots)
Ames - Belle Vernon, Pa (Now Ollie's Bargain Outlet)
Radio Shack - Pleasant Hills, Pa 2006?
Value City - Uniontown Mall, Uniontown, Pa
Value City - Baldwin, Pa
Steve & Barry's - Century III Mall  (January 12 was the final day)
K-B Toys - Century III Mall (Final Day January 27)

Ameskid

I have been to:
KB Toys
Steve & Barry's
Hader Hardware (Trust Worthy)
Hollywood Video
Circuit City
Edit 3-18-2010:...and now a Big Kmart
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

The Adamantium Elbow

Heres another couple I've been to

Montgomery Wards in Greensburg, PA in the former Greengate Mall. The land the mall sat on would later become a stripmall with a Super Walmart as it's anchor.

Steve & Barry's in Westmoreland Mall I believe this location also used to be a Family Toy Warehouse.

Woolworth's in Monroeville, PA this would later become an Old Navy store.

GothicPrincess

QuoteOriginally posted by The Adamantium Elbow
Heres another couple I've been to

Montgomery Wards in Greensburg, PA in the former Greengate Mall. The land the mall sat on would later become a stripmall with a Super Walmart as it's anchor.

I moved to Greensburg after they had closed, a few months before they tore it down. There was a Linen's n Things that was also shut down, I did get to browse in there, but never bought anything. I shopped at the Ames behind Westmoreland Mall in Greensburg just before it closed, as well. Good deals, mean shoppers pushing everyone around. One more, the Kay-Bee Toys in Westmoreland Mall, and Steve & Barrys also of the same mall. Still nothing sitting in S&B space. Will be up tomorrow night, will try to find pics for the proper thread for KB and S&B.
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

Ameskid

Quote from: Ameskid on January 13, 2009, 07:50:58 PM
I have been to:
KB Toys
Steve & Barry's
Hader Hardware (Trust Worthy)
Hollywood Video
Circuit City
Edit 3-18-2010:...and now a Big Kmart
Updating this again...

• KB Toys
    Steve & Barry's
    Parisian
    Trust Worthy
    Hollywood Video
    Circuit City
    Borders
    Remke
    Stein Mart
    Radio Shack (Florence, KY)
    Radio Shack (Cincinnati, OH)
    Express
    Kmart (Milford, OH)
    Kmart (Anderson Township, OH)
    Kmart (Newport, KY)
    Deb (Newport, KY)
    Deb (Florence, KY)
    Bigg's
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

JimSawhill

Been to a few...Caldor's at Burr Corners Manchester, CT
Ames at Burr Corners Manchester, CT
Hawk Boats in Providence, RI (bought myself an antique NCR cash register)
Office Max in Manchester, CT
Linens N Things in Brandon, FL
Borders in Brandon, FL

MikeRa

The only ones I've been to are:

Woolworth - 1995
Clover - 1996
RadioShack - 2015
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Hudsons81

Been to Farmer Jack many times, also went into the Borders at Southland Center in Taylor, MI several times.

jamesway_95

Quote from: videogamer75 on December 25, 2008, 01:06:37 AM
I know I can't remember them all off they top of the head but I know I was at the Hammonton, NJ Jamesway's GOB sale in 1995, although at a very young age.

I was born in November 1995, and have no idea whether or not I was at this sale - and if I was, it would be impossible for me to remember it. For some reason, I once pretended - both here and on Flickr - to be older than I was, and claimed to remember things that I couldn't. I apologize for telling lies.

JimSawhill

Quote from: jamesway_95 on July 01, 2015, 05:50:19 PM
Quote from: videogamer75 on December 25, 2008, 01:06:37 AM
I know I can't remember them all off they top of the head but I know I was at the Hammonton, NJ Jamesway's GOB sale in 1995, although at a very young age.

I was born in November 1995, and have no idea whether or not I was at this sale - and if I was, it would be impossible for me to remember it. For some reason, I once pretended - both here and on Flickr - to be older than I was, and claimed to remember things that I couldn't. I apologize for telling lies.

My sons been online before they are 13...so it doesn't bother me....