Main Menu

Former Ogdensburg Ames stores

Started by mikey7290, October 10, 2006, 10:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey7290

I just took some pics this morning of our two former Ames stores in Ogdensburg, NY.  In this post, I have included pics of the original Ames store.  This was located in a former silk mill at 1857 Ford Street.  Ames occupied this building from May 1962 until October 1971 when they moved to the Park Plaza.  The Ford Street store was only the fourth store to be opened by the chain when it opened in 1962.  These pics were taken from the parking lot, located on the west side of the building (Ford Street is at the left).  BTW...this building has been owned by the Corning Glass Co. for the past several years as a warehouse.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get a pic of the road sign because the poles that held the sign are obstructed by trailers on both sides and the top of the poles have been cut down to a height below the tops of the trailers.

Here is the left side of the Ford Street building, facing the parking lot.

Here is the right side of the store, also facing the parking lot.

This is the former main entrance.  Unfortunately, the enclosure, which was covered by plywood, painted with a sign saying "We have moved to the Park Plaza" from way back in 1971, was demolished weeks before I took this picture.

Here is the main entrance, taken back a bit farther.  Notice the peaked skylights, dating back to the building's days as an industrial facility.

And here is the building's Ford Street side.  From what I have been told, this area was the store's office space.

mikey7290

Sorry those other pics didn't post.  How do you post several pics at a time?

C. Fontaine

Unfortunately we dont have a feature for that..if you want you can send them to me, c.fontaine@charter.net, and I will host them on the site!