Grossman's Bargain Outlet

Started by C. Fontaine, February 10, 2005, 09:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C. Fontaine

Heres one.  I didn't even realize these places still existed until one moved into my (Dudley, MA) Ames.  They actually seem to be worthy of carrying on Ames's Bargains by the Bagful, at least here in Dudley, after seeing their prices and selection.

Zayre88

I noticed that they removed the name Grossman's from the logo on their website...  http://www.bargain-outlets.com/

but not on all logos like the sale ad

http://www.bargain-outlets.com/bargains/bargains.html

store215

Is this "Grossman's" chain related to the large chain of "Grossman's Hardware Stores" that went out in 1997? (I remember their stores having an orange color scheme)

Zayre88

I remember Grossman's, they had stores in almost every town along side of I-95 in Maine and NH...

Stores looked like this :yup:

BillyGr

They seem to have gone into these stores shortly before the "regular" Grossman's went out fo business.  Most (if not all) of the bargain outlet stores in our (Albany, NY) area are in former Grossman's

Zayre88

Here some locations were taken over by Wickes Lumber and i don't think any became Bargain Outlet.  Here is a picture of the former Grossman's in Scarborough, now a furniture outlet.

The building still has the Grossman's style.

Anonymous

There is one opening in the old ames store in Baldwinville Ny never been to one are they like home depot or Lowes

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by Anonymous
There is one opening in the old ames store in Baldwinville Ny never been to one are they like home depot or Lowes

Yes and no - Yes in that they sell the same types of stuff (like lumber, paint, tools, kitchen/bath, flooring etc.) and No in that they only carry close out merchandise (so you might find, for example, a well known brand of paint, but only in 2 or 3 colors) and what they have varies, so if you need a quantity of something, buy it at one time (you may not see  the same pattern/color/style the next time you go).

Having said that, the deals can be quite good - like the redwood stain I got a few years ago for something like $4/gal, odd pieces of wood for under $1, stick-on floor tiles for $.29-$.49 each (again, buy more than you think you'll need) and similar things.

Anonymous

I went to the grand opening this morning in Baldwinville in the old ames store. they divide the store the other half is empty. there stuff is cheap.

BillyGr

Here's the stores in Rensselaer - this one was a regular Grossman's before becoming a bargain outlet:

Jag67

Our's used to be called "Mr 2nds"  before Grossmans bought it and changed it to "Mr 2nds Grossmans Bargain Outlet" before dropping the Mr. 2nds name altogether.

But I like Grossman's mascot (the guy)

BillyGr

Here's a shot of the former Latham/Watervliet Grossman's, now a bargain outlet.

BillyGr

This is the store in Hudson (Greenport) - it was a regular Grossman's that closed when they went out of business, then was a (verrrrrrrrrry large) video store (Video Cave - local chain in this area) who painted it multi-pastel colors.  They decided to go out of business and then it was converted back into a Bargain Outlet.

Anonymous

Many of the lumber yards that used to be Grossman lumber yards were converted to Bragains outlets when the Eastern Division of Grossman's, the ethen parent company ceased operations in the 1996-1997 time period.  I worked for the company out of the Braintree, MA headquarters for many years as part of the corporate staff. I can say the company was great to work for.  They had stores everywhere. It's sad the Eastern Division went out of business.  The company was one of the many large companies, ala Zayre, Caldor, Bradlees, etc., that no longer exist. The Bargain outlets are for close outs, seconds, and special deal.  If you're buying paint or flooring, buy more than you think you need, as you may not be able to get more of the same thing next time around.  Many of the stores in the photos above, I had responsibility for. Good luck.

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Is this "Grossman's" chain related to the large chain of "Grossman's Hardware Stores" that went out in 1997? (I remember their stores having an orange color scheme)

Here is the former Grossman's in Waterville, ME.  It's now a Aubuchon Hardware.  They are using the old Grossman's pylon sign today!

C. Fontaine

Wow!  It's nice to see other Aubuchon Hardware's other than where I live!

d_fife

grossman's lumber closed 10 years ago from this time and why did it evolve to grossman's bargain outlet? how are the 2 different?

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
grossman's lumber closed 10 years ago from this time and why did it evolve to grossman's bargain outlet? how are the 2 different?

I can't say it totally evolved - actually more like it was a use for some of the vacant buildings and then they started adding others (as noted in other posts, at least 2 of the Bargain Outlets here (Latham & Hudson) appeared quite a few years after they closed as Grossman's.
As to the difference, the original Grossman's was a lumber/hardware store - they carried things as you'd find today in a True Value or Home Depot - the same stuff on a regular basis.  The Bargain outlets still have (mostly) hardware/lumber/household related items, but they have different things on a rotating basis.  For example, this week you might see one brand of paint in white, dark blue and tan, next week a different brand in white, yellow and sky blue - you have to be flexible with what you get and get enough at one time as the item may not be there next time (kind of like at a Big Lots, Dollar store etc.).

BillyGr

Here's a (sort of lopsided) photo of the Kingston store - for those who know the area it's where Ulster Ave going toward downtown splits from 9W and this store is very hard to get a shot of.

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
Here is a picture of the former Grossman's in Scarborough, now a furniture outlet.

The building still has the Grossman's style.

That same building recently... (Bed & Back) It still has the original Grossman's top over the entrance and the orange is revealed where the paint is peeled on the zoomed image!!

mikey7290

Our former Grossman's in Ogdensburg NY didn't become a Bargain Center.  It was taken over locally and reopened as "Northern Building Supply," which later shorted its name to "NBS Home Center."  That store closed in the late 1990's and the building is now occupied by a Dollar General.  The Watertown, NY store is also taken over by a local business.

ynkeesfn82

They're opening a Bargain Outlet in East Hartford, CT at 265 Ellington Road in the School Street Square Shopping Center. It along with Cardio Express make up the old Big Y.

HannafordHearts

Quote from: BillyGr on June 03, 2005, 09:36:01 PM
Here's the stores in Rensselaer - this one was a regular Grossman's before becoming a bargain outlet:

This store has since closed. It was remodeled and subdivided and the left portion now houses a Family Dollar.

BillyGr

Quote from: BillyGr on March 02, 2006, 11:17:14 PM
This is the store in Hudson (Greenport) - it was a regular Grossman's that closed when they went out of business, then was a (verrrrrrrrrry large) video store (Video Cave - local chain in this area) who painted it multi-pastel colors.  They decided to go out of business and then it was converted back into a Bargain Outlet.

This one closed as well (about the same time as the Rensselaer one in the post above).  It is being used by someone, but as warehouse space so not open to the public.

Also interesting that when they closed the Rensselaer one they promoted a newly opened store on Fuller Road in Colonie as it's "replacement".

MikeRa

There were a couple of Grossman's Hardware Stores in the Philadelphia area.  One was on Bustelton Avenue in NE Philadelphia, and the othere was in Marlton, NJ.  Both locations started out as Centennial/Colonial A&P Supermarkets.  The NE Philadelphia location is now Rite Aid Pharmacy, and the Marlton, NJ location is now Staples
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"