Ames is sending out more severances checks

Started by darkmoon9, September 14, 2006, 07:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkmoon9

The Ames debtors and their professionals are continuing their efforts to wind down the debtors affairs which include the disposition of some remaining leasehold/real estate interests and prosecuting approximately 1800 adversary proceedings which seek to avoid and recover alleged preferential transfers made within 90 days of the Chapter 11 filing.

You can send your new address to Ames Dept Stores
175 Capital Boulevard
Suite 102
Rocky Hill Ct  06067
Attn Linda Cote

Frank A. Oswald
Togut Segal & Segal LLP
0ne Penn Plaza, Suite 3335
New York, New York 10119
Tel. 212-594-5000
Fax. 212-967-4258
Email foswald@teamtogut.com

dkirk05

Anyone else out there waiting for news on any final settlement of severance pay? I didn't take the settlement offer back in 2003, but think now that maybe I should have. I called to find out the status of the chapter 11 proceedings. I was told, at this time, there was no action taking place as far as employee settlement was concerned. They had tried to get the courts to do a partial settlement released to employees before the end of 2006, but were denied so it will soon be 2007 and we are still waiting. What does anyone think the chances are of ever seeing anything?

darkmoon9

dkirk05

I heard from a former employee that he just got a severance check from Ames.  He said is was a partial I think he said it was for about 12% of what he is owed.  He said the letter stated Ames hopes to be able to send out the balance sometime in the furture. Sofar I don't get anything yet, and some of the other former employee haven't got anything yet either.  I have a number for Ames 1-860-257-2000 you get an answering  machine, but they call back the next day.  If you get anything or know someone who got something please let me know.  Thanks

darkmoon9 (BJ185)

dkirk05

I did get a 12% partial payment in December after calling in November and at that time I was told there was no action being taken for employee payout. Then about mid December, I received the check in the mail and a letter stating what your friend told you that they don't know when the next payment will be, but do expect more payments in the future. I would call that number you have and see what she says. The phone number you have is the correct number. Hope you get something soon, good luck. I will post if I get anything more in the future.

CORPORATEFAN

I also received a 12% payment of the balance due to me in December, as did another corporate office associate I know.  I have a feeling that those associates who became involved with the lawsuit against Ames did not receive the 12% payout.  They will probably not receive anything until the lawsuit is settled. I am in touch with someone who is involved with the lawsuit and she did not receive the December payout.

dkirk05

What lawsuit? I haven't heard about a lawsuit going on against Ames. Does it pertain to the severance pay settlements or something else?
I haven't talked to any of my former associates at Ames so I don't know if anyone else got payouts or not in Dec. Most of them took the settlement offered back in 2003 so they wouldn't have gotten anything in Dec. any way.

CORPORATEFAN

A lawsuit was filed on behalf of corporate office associates(only for those who wanted to be involved in it) for severance pay-because they did not receive any notice of Ames' liquidation.  This was filed under the Warn Act.  Anyone who remained employed with the company during the going out of business sale, either in the stores or home office, were not eligible to be represented in the lawsuit because their continued employment constituted "notice".

patricia128

To my surprise I received the 12% of what is owed to me in December too. The letter stated we may receive another pay out. Does anyone have any idea when that could happen. After all it took 5 yrs. to receive the first payment, which was something I never expected to see. I'm glad I never signed that payout form.

CORPORATEFAN

One former associate spoke to someone at the Ames "office" awhile ago. She was told  that the final settlements could take up to ten years, so we may have another 5 years to go. It appeared from the "payout" letter that we received a few years back that there was a good chance we could receive close to 100% of what was owed to us, if we waited.

beachgal26

I can't imagaine having to wait 10 years to get money that is owed to you, but I guess that it alot better than some of the companies that go belly-up and the poor employees get nothing.

Good luck to all of you!

:D

darkmoon9

This is a copy of my letter I got from Ames. I just got mine in January, Because I moved since Ames closed and don't change my address.  As you can see my letter was dated 12/11/2007.  As for Home Office I think I remember most of them were let go on August 14,2002 the same day they announced they were closing.  So I guess that why they filed a suit against Ames.  I could be wrong about that.

darkmoon9

I got this after I called the phone number. The next day J. Lukens called back and gave this email address to me to send my new address to Ames ( I know that's not a good idea to send your address in Emails) here it's jlukens@ameshome.com.  If you like to check on your severance pay. I don't know if they will reply, I never got anything back from them.  Just a few days later I got my check.  I hope this help anybody to get their check.

beachgal26

No matter what anyone thinks of Ames, I think that it is very admirable of them to still be attempting to pay their people so many years after closing.  In most cases when a store closes, you receive your final paycheck and that is it.

I find it interesting that they are keeping such good records of what they owe to each person and will be doing it in small increments.  To at least be receiving some money is a good step, but I have to wonder where that money is coming from since they no longer have any revenue????

:huh:   :huh:

darkmoon9

Just got another severance check today for 18%.  Maybe we  will get one every year! I'm enclosing a copy of the letter.

Best Wishes to All for the new year.

BJ (0185)

darkmoon9

Just got another severance check today for 18%.  Maybe we  will get one every year! I'm enclosing a copy of the letter.

Best Wishes to All for the new year.

BJ (0185)

darkmoon9

I just got another severance check from Ames today. I still have another 10% left ($286.00).  What a nice surprise! The letter was dated July 24,09, but only sent out Aug. 25,09.  Just wanted to let you all know. So watch your mail box!