Main Menu

Macy's

Started by Caldor99, January 06, 2005, 11:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

truviking05

As far as the dual name-game goes, my local Burdines had some interior signs and bags that proclaimed it to be "Burdines-Macy's" for about a year. It is now just Macy's...

jmn3

QuoteOriginally posted by truviking05
As far as the dual name-game goes, my local Burdines had some interior signs and bags that proclaimed it to be "Burdines-Macy's" for about a year. It is now just Macy's...

For whatever reason, retail management thinks that the dual names help out the consumers transition to the new name without much disruption.  What typically transpires is that the new store takes over, dismantles anything that resembles the old store, and succeeds in aggravating the shoppers.  

I mean, Bon-Ton spent a year being called some sort of combination of AM&A's and The Bon-Ton in western New York before just being "The Bon-Ton" and people still hated what the chain did to "their" AM&A's.  

And besides, in markets where a chain has been around for decades, people still use the old names anyway.

jmn3

An example of the dual logo from 1981:

truviking05

LOL--the only thing different about my Burdines now that it's a Macy*s is the signage...exactly like it used to be! Except that they are replacing the at least 40 year-old escalators...

jmn3

QuoteOriginally posted by truviking05
LOL--the only thing different about my Burdines now that it's a Macy*s is the signage...exactly like it used to be! Except that they are replacing the at least 40 year-old escalators...

And there lies a reason why companies like Federated and May no longer have any differentiation between their various divisions.  Federated has spent years now making Lazarus, Macy's, Burdine's, The Bon Marche, etc. basically the same store.  Same with May's stores...

Now they change the names, and it doesn't really matter because Burdine's was basically already Macy's.

Sure they are more profitable that way...but it's a little boring for the consumer...oh well.

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
heres a logo I don't anyone has seen

Bon-Macy's

is this Bon Ton and Macy's put together?

LOL can't help laughing about it!

It's "The Bon March?" and Macy's

Caldor1999

hears teh Danbury Mall Macys
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

so what do u guys think of macys expanding

i think its good for them because fredrated is geeting rid of alll teh cookey cutter stores and i hope they keep lord & taylor and Marshel feilds name witch im sure they will and this will also be good because theres not a macys in evrey  state and there a affordbul dept store even more then sears and jc penny
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

jmn3

I don't know if I'd say Macy's is more affordable than Sears or Penney's...if anything, Macy's has much more expensive goods.  Now, I'm not saying that the clothes aren't BETTER at Macy's - I'm just saying that Sears or JCP offer cheaper clothes.  

Personally, I don't think I've worn clothing purchased at Sears since I was 5 years old and I can't remember my last non-socks purchase at JCP.  Macy's is much more my style of clothing.

I guess it will be pretty cool to have a consistent choice (Macy's) across the country - but it's pretty boring when basically every mall in America will be anchored by Macy's, JCP, and Sears.

Caldor1999

ok well macys is not as cheep as sears or JCPennny but they always have sales witch makes sthe stuff cheep my sister got a pair of shouse from there for $30.00 th eorgel price was $100.00 sears dosent have such great clouths they just sell good electronices and hard were and such JC Penny sells smoe good clouths but i can never really sind anything i like from there
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
ok well macys is not as cheep as sears or JCPennny but they always have sales witch makes sthe stuff cheep my sister got a pair of shouse from there for $30.00 th eorgel price was $100.00 sears dosent have such great clouths they just sell good electronices and hard were and such JC Penny sells smoe good clouths but i can never really sind anything i like from there

I went to Albany 2 days ago and saw 2 macy's, one in Colonie CEnter and one in Crossgates. The one in Crossgates looked like the one in the Fox run mall in Newington NH

amesman

that's because the Crossgates and Newington locations were both former Jordan Marsh stores :) Could you get a picture of the Newington location at all?

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
that's because the Crossgates and Newington locations were both former Jordan Marsh stores :) Could you get a picture of the Newington location at all?

the one in newington looks exactly like the one in crossgates. I can't find a way to put a picture on.

The macy's in colonie centre had macy's logo where it was a labelscar. taht was teh first time I saw  a macy's that was always a macy's.

jmn3

Isn't the Macy's at Colonie actually not the original location, but part of an expansion?  I think the original Macy's store is actually part of the mall now.

amesman

You are correct jmn3! The current Macys at Colonie Center was opened in 1991 when the mall was expanded with the food court, and 30 to 40 new stores. The newer Macys was a prototype store, featuring 3 levels, and a different layout. The Danbury, Connecticut store featured some of these styles, but, it was opened earlier than the Colonie store. The original Macys, was located near the center of the mall in the back. The original Macys is now more mall stores, and part of the hallway I believe. So, in reality, Colonie Center has always had a Macys, but two different stores. Also, on another note, the Sears at the other end of the mall has been there from the beginning as well(1966), and still features some of its 60's styling(the lighting, among other things), but it is not as noticable as it once was.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by jmn3
Isn't the Macy's at Colonie actually not the original location, but part of an expansion?  I think the original Macy's store is actually part of the mall now.

Come to think of it, I read an article about MAcy's moving to another part of the mall over 10 years ago and the old macy's became part of the mall and the old macy's was 180,000 square feet and the new onme is 300,000 square feet.

BillyGr

OK - Here's the location description - if you start at the Sears end of the mall and walk away from Sears - about 1/3 of the way down look for Friendly's on your right.   About 1 or 2 stores past that, you'll see a hallway to the right that leads to restrooms.  Now standing with that hall to your right, imagine a wall directly in front of you, stretching across the walkway - that's the front of the old Macy's.  Everything from that point on was either converted from the old store or added on when Macy's moved to their current location (this includes the Boscov's (formerly Steinbach's), the food court, and more).

amesman

ok, cool. Thank you for clearing that up for me BillyGr. I always thought the old Macys was now where Boscovs was. Thanks for your information. Also, do you know what was in where Christmas Tree Shops is now? Thanks!

Zayre88

Macy's in South Portland, a former Jordan Marsh.

BillyGr

ok, cool. Thank you for clearing that up for me BillyGr. I always thought the old Macys was now where Boscovs was. Thanks for your information. Also, do you know what was in where Christmas Tree Shops is now? Thanks!

I know that there was a sporting goods place (Hermans?) that moved into the mall from across Wolf Rd (about where the B&N and smaller shops are now) and I believe that it was in that location - after that it was a boat sales place or something for a time (I think) - Christmas Tree expanded the space out into the parking lot when they opened (as did Boscov's when they came in to the Steinbachs - that's why if you go around that side of the mall you'll see the post office kind of "hidden" in an inset between the two (Christmas Tree & Boscov's) - it's also why there are so few parking spots on that side.

P.S. - I think if you were to enter the mall using the doors alongside the post office and walk to the main hallway, you'd be pretty much over the hallway I mentioned on the lower floor - or just to your right would be the upper level of Macy's old store.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88

wow that macys looks old heh
Caldor Forever!

amesman

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr

I know that there was a sporting goods place (Hermans?) that moved into the mall from across Wolf Rd (about where the B&N and smaller shops are now) and I believe that it was in that location - after that it was a boat sales place or something for a time (I think) - Christmas Tree expanded the space out into the parking lot when they opened (as did Boscov's when they came in to the Steinbachs - that's why if you go around that side of the mall you'll see the post office kind of "hidden" in an inset between the two (Christmas Tree & Boscov's) - it's also why there are so few parking spots on that side.

P.S. - I think if you were to enter the mall using the doors alongside the post office and walk to the main hallway, you'd be pretty much over the hallway I mentioned on the lower floor - or just to your right would be the upper level of Macy's old store.

Ok, cool. My Dad remembers Hermans Sporting Goods. I believe it was in where Bed Bath and Beyond is now.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

wow that macys looks old heh

MY nearest macy's in bedford NH, opened in 1966, outside the bedford mall near the wayferrer inn, and 166,000 square feet. looks like that. that macy;s in south portland was a jordan marsh, opened in 1968 (before the first part of the maine mall: sears and the stores between sears and jordan marsh, opened 1970 or 71) The ones in warwick (opened 1971, 309,000 square feet, warwick mall) ri; braintree (303,000 square feet, opened 1969, south shore mall) , peabody (301,000 square feet, opened 1958, north shore mall), and burlington (opened 67, square feet unkown, burlington mall) mass look like that and they were all Jordan MArsh and I saw the old Jordan marsh in downtown worcester, it was said to be 310,000 square feet, opened 1972 and I heard that closed in march 20, 1991 when jordan marsh was bankrupt.

d_fife

this is the macy's in bedford nh, that was orginally jordan marsh. IT is off 293 near wayferer inn and 166,000 square feet and opened 66.

d_fife

this is the macy;s in warwick ri. It is said to be 309,000 square feet, oppened 1971, and was jordan marsh. This location will be divested, as the filene's in the same mall will be renamed macy's.

d_fife

this macy's shown is in natick, it opened october 1994, was 210,000 square feet, and was jordan marsh. the jordan marsh was in the shoppers world next door.

this one is said to be divested. When the picture can be resized, I hope to have this picture up soon.

d_fife

this macy's is in the swansea mall. The macy's was jordan marsh. the store was about 100,000 square feet, and was added to the mall in spring 1988. the mall was built in 1975.

when the picture can be resized, I hope to have thie picture up!!!! it says too big to upload. How does the picture get resized.

amesman

you'll have to resize the pics yourself by using photoshop or vueprint, or something like that. We can't do it on here. I wish we could. It'd be a lot easier..hehe.

Zayre88

Another view of the store.  Bedford NH has the exact same style.

d_fife

Another view of the store.  Bedford NH has the exact same style.

so does the one in warwick ri and the ones in burlington mass, peabody mass and braintree mass and the old one in worcester mass that NEVER SAW IT TO BE A MACYS since that Jordan MArsh in worcester closed about 15 years ago.

That style was jordan marsh stores built in the late 60s and early 70s and those stores were huge.