Rite Aid buying Eckerd

Started by mikey1972, August 25, 2006, 01:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey1972

I just heard on the news tonight that Eckerd has been bought out by Rite Aid.  Has anyone else heard about this?:huh:

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by mikey1972
I just heard on the news tonight that Eckerd has been bought out by Rite Aid.  Has anyone else heard about this?:huh:

yes and I find it dumb. rite aid just wants to manopolize the market and what if they go? huh. al lot of places have both.

Zayre88

It's crazy.  I have read somewhere that all stores will be re-branded Rite Aid.  In NH There are 38 RiteAid and 38 Brooks. Maine has 79 RiteAid and only 6 Brooks.  Maine was the home of Laverdiere's wich has been acquired by RiteAid years ago.  Brooks acquired many OscoDrug stores in NH in the past.

Store closings will happen. Maybe it will open the door to Walgreens to expand.

See a U.S. map of RiteAid Brooks and Eckerd:
http://www.retailingtoday.com/dsnrt/surveys/instore_pdfs/93-864-rite_aid_map.pdf

AmesNewington

Does this have an affect on Brook's Pharmacy? I hope not. I love that pharmacy. We have prescriptions there.

store215

Brook's name will go away for sure probably at the end of this year or ealry this year, so start gathering your "collectables". So will the Eckerd name.

In the Philly market, Eckerds stores are ALL out of date and ancient, with little business due to much newer and nicer Walgreens and CVS stores. Just about all of them were Thrift Drug before J.C. Penney changed them to Eckerd in 1996/1997. There are maybe a handful of newer freestanding locations that Rite Aid should do well at, but I have my doubts about the rest unless they heavily invest some money into Eckerd's (and older Rite Aids) stores!

Rite Aid has just begun to move out of the out-of-date stores, this is just gonna put them behind again. What a stupid business move. It will give Rite Aid stores in the Carolinas and Georgia though, places where they were not before and Eckerd probably still has #1 marketshare.

Crawford

Brooks will be gone, Rite Aid intends to change them all over. Here in RI that is not going over well, people are concerned prices are going to jump and stores close. Oh well.....there is CVS and Walgreens and....well I guess that is it. ::le sigh::
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

store215

In my opinion, Rite Aid has some of the lowest prices, besides maybe Wal-Mart on typical health/beauty things. Eckerd always had the highest around here, with CVS and walgreens somewhere in the middle

AmesNewington

I believe on most things are the same price everywhere, with some great offers here and there. I was looking at Rite Aid's flyer, and they had good prices. They also have more store brand products.

dmx10101

Well in Jacksonville, CVS bought all of the Eckerds and changed them to CVS's. Now up p here in GA they still have Eckerds, but since Rite Aid bought them they well be changing them to Rite Aids, so there wont be anymore Ecckerds. I've never even seen or been in a Rite Aid.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

fa152

Rite Aid has purchased all remaining Eckerd & Brooks Drug Stores.  They will all be rebranded "Rite Aid", the deal is expected to close Between December 06- March 07

d_fife

Rite aid is taking over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they bought out laverdiers in 1994.

Zayre88

RiteAid bought Laverdiere's.  JCPenney sold Eckerd to Brooks and CVS.  Albertson's sold OscoDrug NE to Brooks which was acquired by Jean Coutu.  Now Rite Aid will own Brooks and Eckerd and the Brooks that are former OscoDrug.

dmx10101

wow thats confusing.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

Zayre88

Here's an interesting location.  This used to be an OscoDrug pharmacy.  Brooks acquired the OscoDrug located in New England.  The store was rebranded Brooks.  Now RiteAid acquired Brooks.  The store has been renamed Rite Aid.  

I went into the store to find only a few changes, Brooks signs everywhere, Rite Aid flyers, Brooks staff, Brooks bags and Brooks on my receipt... confusing!

mikey7290

I just went to the former Eckerd in Potsdam NY the other day.  The store is in the Potsdam Plaza on Market Street (Route 56) and is now officially a Rite Aid, even though the walls still look like they did when the store was a Fay's!  Anyway, the new permanant Rite Aid sign is now on the building.  They simply took the Eckerd logo off the sign and replaced it with the Rite Aid name.   Since I didn't have my camera to take a picture, I used MS Paint to recreate it.  Here is what it looks like.

gu4ever

Originally an Osco Drug, that was sold to Brooks and now is operated by Rite Aid.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.