Meriden (Mall) Hub / Meriden, Connecticut

Started by XISMZERO, September 01, 2006, 07:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XISMZERO

The blogger who runs "Labelscar" recently paid a visit to a mall I never knew existed in my hometown of Connecticut in the downtown area of Meriden, called "The Meriden Mall". This mall supposedly shared the same harsh history as the Brisol Centre Mall as a struggling indoor mall throughout the 1970s barely competing with the nearby Meriden Square (now known as the Westfield Shoppingtown Meriden).

The mall was slated for demolition two years ago as a part of a revitalization program for downtown Meriden but the mall still stands vacant; completely dead and borded up.

If anyone's in the area, you can see the mall located on State Street in Meriden's downtown but be warned because Meriden is not a very inviting city beyond the Meriden Square.

I went by today, so enjoy these...
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

The entire site is a definitive train wreck. The lot is packed with atrocious pot holes, and all the former windows are either borded or shattered. The lot serves as a parking lot for nearby businesses as there is no commerce left in this parking lot.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

The glass canopy style former entrances barely standing.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

A sidewalk I would've rather stayed off of. This was one of the first shoots I preferred to stay carside for.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

One of the mall's anchor entrances I presume. No label scars gave the identities away.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Another shifty looking corridor I didn't want to stroll down.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

One of the most obscure designed malls I had ever seen at the Meriden Mall.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

The former road pilon standing skeletal but not sure for how many years.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

The former owners, "Canberra Industries", with their newer renovated offices aside the mall. All of the glass here as shattered too...
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Some dilapidated apartment complex across the street.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

This dead mall officially died today Wednesday April 18, 2007. Nick and I missed out on getting some more shots of the mall because he decided to post-pone the trip because of the rain. We thought they would've waited to begin demolishing the mall because of the rain, but no, it began today. :(

NJxxJon

AAAAAAAAAAAwesome shots....like those steal-able ...no TRESSPASS Signs....:mrpink: haha....and the tinted red glass......
JN

Marc82

Good news. They didn't demolish the whole thing yet and Nick and I went there today and he took some more snap-shots which he'll be puting online in a week or two. (Probably in his retail blog). That whole area of the city is really run down.

And not that there's anything wrong with that, it was kind of weird that me and Nick were the only Caucasian people in the City.

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
wonder waht the ancores were

Nick and I are going to the Meriden Public Library either later this week or soemtime next week to research that very topic. :P

HoJofan206

Thanks for the pics guys!  Appreciate you all taking the time to document the mall before it was gone! ;)

XISMZERO

I've got the partial demolition pics. Marc82 and I took a ride together yesterday to grab the last hurrah. I hope to add them to The Caldor Rainbow by week's end.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr