Lionel Playworld.

Started by dmx10101, September 01, 2006, 03:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmx10101

Anyone remember this toy store? I went there when I was a kid.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

Birdsong

There were two of them in the Tampa Flordia area...one of them was in St Pete & the other one on Flordia Ave which later moved to Waters ave. They had a pretty good selection. I also rememember one when I was a kid in Cincinnati.

MikeRa

Up here in Philadelphia, PA area, we had Lionel Kiddie City, Lionel Play Town, as well as the HQ for Lionel's toy store division (Kiddie City, Playworld, Play Town), which was located in the former HQ building for Penn Fruit Company supermarkets, on Grant Avenue.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

JordanMarsh

There used to be one on Biscayne Blvd in North Miami, FL back in the 80's now there is a Ross clothing store occupying that location.

scottw73

NeverBeenToAnAmes

I remember Play World very well from it's locations in Long Island, NY. Was a great toy store and was mad at Toys R Us for quite a while when Play World went out. Sadly, not much on the net from them. The following pics are from the Elmont, NY store that burned down in the 70's.

videogamer75

This is the Triple A Hobby Shop in Magnolia, NJ, a former Lionel Kiddie City. The store has a large selection of Lionel train sets.

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverBeenToAnAmes
I remember Play World very well from it's locations in Long Island, NY. Was a great toy store and was mad at Toys R Us for quite a while when Play World went out. Sadly, not much on the net from them. The following pics are from the Elmont, NY store that burned down in the 70's.

When did they change the Getty logo in the background?

The Kiddie City near me became Toys R Us, but closed in 2005 and is now PetSmart.

NeverBeenToAnAmes

Some pics I found whilst cruising the net

sign w/Globe mascot

sign w/Kangaroo mascot

Logo/kangaroo mascot

dk50b

There was a Kiddie City in the Dalewood II Shopping Center on Central Park Ave. in Hartsdale, NY.  Now a Christmas Tree Shop.  If I'm not mistaken, it became a Crazy Eddie's after Kiddie City closed.  That and the Child World down Central Park Ave. (near Ardsley Rd.) were my favorites growing up. 

Pikapower

^^That "globe" thing on the first sign looks more like a Jack O Lantern to me!
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

MikeRa

Here is a pic of a former Play Town location, on cottman avenue, in Philadelphia, PA.  Before it was Play Town, it was a early 1950's Acme Markets location.  After Play Town left, this location was a Listening Booth music store, and is currently a Sears Auto Center location.

This pic shows the Sears Auto Center as Play Town Toys.  There are also several other business in this pic that have long since been closed, including Lit Brothers, Pantry Pride, S. S. Kresge Co. $.05 & $.10 Store (S. S. Kresge Co., as a company, still around today, as Sears Holdings Corp.), and Horn & Hardart.

d_fife

was it any different than Toys r us?

MikeRa

Toy stores in the 1960's were a lot smaller that a modern day Toys R Us.  Most of the Play Town and Kiddie City locations were in old Acme stores, the exception being the Kiddie City at Erie & Castor Avenues, in Philadelphia, which was located in the Penn Fruit warehouse building.

d_fife

Quote from: MikeRa on June 11, 2013, 11:41:01 PM
Toy stores in the 1960's were a lot smaller that a modern day Toys R Us.  Most of the Play Town and Kiddie City locations were in old Acme stores, the exception being the Kiddie City at Erie & Castor Avenues, in Philadelphia, which was located in the Penn Fruit warehouse building.

what toys did it have????

MikeRa

Quote from: d_fife on June 11, 2013, 11:55:27 PM

In the 1960's, for the boys, they had bikes, roller skates, Lincoln Logs, and so forth.  And for the girls, they had Barbie, and girl toys.  The Star Wars figures didn't arrive until 1977.

Pikapower

Quote from: MikeRa on June 16, 2013, 01:15:01 AM

In the 1960's, for the boys, they had bikes, roller skates, Lincoln Logs, and so forth.  And for the girls, they had Barbie, and girl toys.  The Star Wars figures didn't arrive until 1977.

Did they sold video games in the 1980's like Atari 2600, Colecovision, and Intellevision?
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

MikeRa

Quote from: Pikapower on November 09, 2013, 02:21:46 PM

Did they sold video games in the 1980's like Atari 2600, Colecovision, and Intellevision?
Yes, they did.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Pikapower on November 09, 2013, 02:21:46 PM

Colecovision?? Wow, that take me back to the beginning of computers. (I had one of those, along with a C64)