Store Suggestions I sent to the president of the Southington Chamber of Commerace

Started by Marc82, August 30, 2006, 01:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc82

I emailed the president of Southington Chamber of Commerace a list of stores that I thought might be good if they were to move into the former Shaw's Supermarket. Here's what was on my list keep in mind in more than one case the Shaw's Store would have to be sub-divided since the space is too big:

1. Christmas Tree Shops
2. Bob's Clothing Store
3. Borders or Barnes & Noble
4. Homegoods
5. Price Rite Supermarket
6. Walmart Neighborhood Grocery Store
7. Michael's Arts & Crafts Store
8. Burlington Coat Factory

He wrote me back, thanking me for my suggestions and forwarded them to the town's economic developer.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
I emailed the president of Southington Chamber of Commerace a list of stores that I thought might be good if they were to move into the former Shaw's Supermarket. Here's what was on my list keep in mind in more than one case the Shaw's Store would have to be sub-divided since the space is too big:

1. Christmas Tree Shops
2. Bob's Clothing Store
3. Borders or Barnes & Noble
4. Homegoods
5. Price Rite Supermarket
6. Walmart Neighborhood Grocery Store
7. Michael's Arts & Crafts Store
8. Burlington Coat Factory

He wrote me back, thanking me for my suggestions and forwarded them to the town's economic developer.

bob's backed out of southington and borders and barnes and noble are already in west hartford / farmington near new britain.

Marc82

Bob's backed out of Southington a few years ago because a few months after they announced their plans to take over part of the old Ames, they went bankrupt. A few months later TJ MAXX bught Bob's, but it was too late for Southington. Bob's Discount Furniture took over the remaining section of Ames. (They shut down 3 stores when they built the new Southington Store. Bristol, Avon, and Waterbury).

XISMZERO

That area on Queen Street is in a goldmine location and could probably use a much needed craft store. A Big Lots and Jo-Ann or Michaels might do well there seeing as there are none on that strip if they subdivided the former Shaw's. What they should really do is forge a deal to redevelop that plaza like they did with Queen Plaza after Ames closed and build a slew of restaurants and newly built stores but that's probably not happening. They should also probably have a plan to bulldoze that eyesore long vacant Pattern Brook Plaza as well on the Southington/Plainville border.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

TRU7536

I don't think u will ever see a christmas tree shop or burlington coat factory stores in southington. Its not a popular pace to put major retailers like that their. Those types of companies go to major retail areas like manchester, milford, etc. I think the pike has a way better chance of getting them compare to southington. I guarantee those companies would ratjer to to plainville rather that southington. Sorry to break it to yoou, southington got really nothing, all the plazas lool run down.

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
That area on Queen Street is in a goldmine location and could probably use a much needed craft store. A Big Lots and Jo-Ann or Michaels might do well there seeing as there are none on that strip if they subdivided the former Shaw's. What they should really do is forge a deal to redevelop that plaza like they did with Queen Plaza after Ames closed and build a slew of restaurants and newly built stores but that's probably not happening. They should also probably have a plan to bulldoze that eyesore long vacant Pattern Brook Plaza as well on the Southington/Plainville border.

1. Jo-Ann was in the Ames Plaza until 2004. It closed down because of poor management. It's now a Super Dollar Tree.

2. That Plaza will never be redeveloped as long as current ownership owns it. Don't you remember how poor the plaza where Waldbaums used to be in Bristol was? That was owned by the same guy that owns the Shaw's Plaza in Southington. Once someone else bought the plaza in Bristol the plaza filled up. Big Lots moved into the old Waldbaums, Family Dollar moved into the old CVS, A Self Defense School moved into the  old Hit or Miss, and a Dental Office moved in the People's Bank Branch. They even built a new building near the Webster Bank and put a Wendy's there. The poor conditions of the plaza in Southington is part of the reason Shaw's closed down.

3. The only thing vacant in Patten Brook Plaza is the old pizza house. A few years ago the guy who owned the bagel shop in Plainville where Starbucks is now was going to open there, but he got really sick and ran out of money. The Patten Brook Plaza has a Light Bulb Store/Electrical Supply Store, a little computer shop, and worst of all an adult video store. An adult video storre that no one from Shaw's wanted to work at even though some were gonna be out of work. Speaking of Adult business a few weeks ago when I went to see where a friend of mine got a job I noticed the infamous Blue Parrot Club was in the process of being demolished.