Nichols

Started by NJF, January 16, 2005, 11:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJF

I don't really know much about this chain except that we used to go there alot when I was a kid.  They probably disappeared from our area in the late 80's.  Here's a pic of what the store looked like.

Anonymous

AmesmanBBTB

:holysh: that looks so old man WOW!

store215

Locations at one point or another:

store215

Grand Opening ad from Maple Shade NJ Nichols, October 1964.

store215

A few more logos they used:

80's logo, but they closed before this could be widely used:

Caldor1999

when did they go out lookin at the picture idd say 1988 or 1986:huh:
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

storehistoryguy

The first one on the top of the page was in Maple Shade, NJ.

StarSage

The Corning, NY location listed on the flyer in this board was actually in Gang Mills, NY (Corning area). Like many Nichols stores the Gang Mills location was converted to a Pharmhouse, which then went out of business and became a Big KMart.. and then a Walmart SuperCenter was built across the street.. and you can guess the rest.

mikey1972

Does anyone remember the Nichols chain?:huh:  It was also known as the S. E. Nichols Co.  They later relaunched under the Pharmhouse name I think.  The only one near me was when I was little.  It was in Watertown, NY.  Did anyone else have a Nichols store near them?:huh:

powersbt

Yes Sir. The ones I knew of were in New Hartford, Herkimer, Marcy, and Oneonta NY. The first three had the Dorito Style Exteriors, and the Oneonta one had the more modern Black and White style. The New Hartford and Herkimer locations converted to Pharmhouse, and then to Pharmor before closing. The New Hartford location is being redeveloped and has hosted a couple of Indoor Used Car Sales since Pharmor. Herkimer is now a Grossman's Bargain Outlet. Both the Marcy and Oneonta Locations closed when Nichols went out. Both remained empty for many years. The Marcy location is now part of a redeveloped plaza. I think part of the former store is used for Warehouse space. Part for a smaller store. The Oneonta Location as well as the entire plaza that it sat in is now the home of the Fox Outpatient Clinic.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikey1972
Does anyone remember the Nichols chain?:huh:  It was also known as the S. E. Nichols Co.  They later relaunched under the Pharmhouse name I think.  The only one near me was when I was little.  It was in Watertown, NY.  Did anyone else have a Nichols store near them?:huh:

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

beachgal26

Wow!  That really takes me back since I used to visit the one in Martinsburg in the mid-70's when I was visiting family in WV.  The store was OK, but a little junky and seemed to be a big hit with the locals.  The prices were good and it seemed like a cross between a really old K-Mart and an outdated grocery store.  (However, I do remember that their cigarette prices (not for me) were very good!)

nims57

Here are more locations (I think):
Lebanon, PA
Wilmington, DE
Corning, NY (earlier store)

Was Nichols ever owned by A&P? Were they a lot like Grant City? The Pharmhouse chain was sold to Phar-Mor.

JoshAustin610

I found an article online from 1990 (findarticles.com) that talks about the Nichol's stores that weren't being converted to Pharmhouse, and wouldn't be reopening.  In addition to the Annville (sometimes referred to as the Lebanon store) and Reading stores, it mentioned there were two locations in Williamsport.  These seem to be the two locations I can't track down any info on whatsoever.  Would anyone know where those were, and if they were open at the same time (or maybe one was just a surplus location)?

katnapped

Anyone know where the Lancaster PA store was?

JoshAustin610

Based on this article, it was on Manheim Pike south of Dillerville Rd.  It's been the Auntie Anne's distribution center since the mid 90s, but I haven't been able to find that address (it's called the City Line Business Center now).  Here's the link, with a picture (just scroll down a little bit): http://lancasteronline.com/blogs/flashbacklancaster/page/3/

swedaman

Quote from: powersbt on August 25, 2006, 10:09:17 PM
Yes Sir. The ones I knew of were in New Hartford, Herkimer, Marcy, and Oneonta NY. The first three had the Dorito Style Exteriors, and the Oneonta one had the more modern Black and White style. The New Hartford and Herkimer locations converted to Pharmhouse, and then to Pharmor before closing. The New Hartford location is being redeveloped and has hosted a couple of Indoor Used Car Sales since Pharmor. Herkimer is now a Grossman's Bargain Outlet. Both the Marcy and Oneonta Locations closed when Nichols went out. Both remained empty for many years. The Marcy location is now part of a redeveloped plaza. I think part of the former store is used for Warehouse space. Part for a smaller store. The Oneonta Location as well as the entire plaza that it sat in is now the home of the Fox Outpatient Clinic.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikey1972

The Nichols on Arsenal Street in Watertown is one of the stores in the chain that had security cameras EVERYWHERE on the ceiling. There were about 100 cameras up there - I don't remember the stores in Marcy or New Hartford having all those security cameras.

buzz86us

the store in Amsterdam was sitting around there FOREVER until home depot bought it out there was some news that an old lady drove into the store when it was closed. The store in Herkimer was turned into a Pharmhouse then a Pharmor now it is a flat tract of land after it got demolished in a prison that never came to fruition.

shore72

The one we shopped at was the Fruitland, MD location. It seemed more up-to-date than some of those pictured here. After the closing the place stayed vacant for a number of years but was eventually totally revamped and is now a shopping center anchored by a Food Lion. I think Nichols (and Ames, just to the north) chose that location because it was outside of the Salisbury city limits. Up until sometime well into the 80s they had a blue law, most everything closed on Sunday. I don't know for sure that this didn't apply in Fruitland but I know that the Super Fresh that used to be in the Ames Plaza had a prominent sign out front that read "Open Sundays". My wife grew up closer to Dover, DE and knew the location there, now the location of the Home Depot. It spent many years in between as a low-end indoor flea/farmer's market.

patk

Quote from: JoshAustin610 on April 09, 2011, 11:53:48 PM
Based on this article, it was on Manheim Pike south of Dillerville Rd.  It's been the Auntie Anne's distribution center since the mid 90s, but I haven't been able to find that address (it's called the City Line Business Center now).  Here's the link, with a picture (just scroll down a little bit): http://lancasteronline.com/blogs/flashbacklancaster/page/3/
i think i found it? http://gyazo.com/a38153fe53399a4e279b9e612bddf514 btw the pic is on page 4 not 3

buzz86us

I am curious if anyone can confirm something for me? I heard some lady accidentally drive into the Nichols store in Amsterdam NY while it sat abandoned for several years before being demolished to make way for home depot..