Chicago Markets

Started by mikey1972, August 25, 2006, 12:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey1972

Does anyone remember Chicago Markets?  They were based in Utica, NY and had quite a few stores in that area and Central New York.  They only had four stores in Northern New York (two in Ogdensburg, and one each in Canton and Massena.)  All four were closed by the mid-1980s.  I don't know what happened to the others but I know the chain is no longer in existence.  Does anyone know who bought them out?:huh:  I also remember the chain's commercials with the animated yellow cart and their slogan "C'mon in and push me around!"

mikey1972

Here is a clipping from when Chicago Markets first came to O'burg in June 1978.  This store was in the Ogdensburg Mall, downtown and closed in April 1980.  There was another store in the Park Plaza from 1979-83.

powersbt

Chicago Markets was bought out by Great American during the early to mid '80s. I just barely remember being in one, and the yellow carts stick out the most. The one store in New Hartford that I remember was a Chicago Market, then a Great American, then a Tops, and now is a Hannaford. There was another one that I know of that was in Utica. That had become a Great American as well, and if it's located where I think it is, it is now a Family Dollar or Dollar General, something like that.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikey1972
Does anyone remember Chicago Markets?  They were based in Utica, NY and had quite a few stores in that area and Central New York.  They only had four stores in Northern New York (two in Ogdensburg, and one each in Canton and Massena.)  All four were closed by the mid-1980s.  I don't know what happened to the others but I know the chain is no longer in existence.  Does anyone know who bought them out?:huh:  I also remember the chain's commercials with the animated yellow cart and their slogan "C'mon in and push me around!"

mikey1972

QuoteOriginally posted by powersbt
Chicago Markets was bought out by Great American during the early to mid '80s. I just barely remember being in one, and the yellow carts stick out the most. The one store in New Hartford that I remember was a Chicago Market, then a Great American, then a Tops, and now is a Hannaford. There was another one that I know of that was in Utica. That had become a Great American as well, and if it's located where I think it is, it is now a Family Dollar or Dollar General, something like that.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikey1972

Thanks for the help.  I thought they had been bought out by Great American, but I wasn't sure.