Main Menu

Ames / Meriden, Connecticut

Started by XISMZERO, August 22, 2006, 09:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XISMZERO

Being bored today, I decided to take a ride down to the former Ames site on East Main Street in Meriden. This also serves as something of an update on a few notes. The store is still there although the green paint has been done over with white. Also, there's a (very faded) recieving sign still pinned (and pinned very well) to the back door. Unfortunately, I wasn't in the position to pull what I did in the Agawam, MA store but maybe one of you would like to give it a shot... Enjoy the pictures!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/xismzero/album?.dir=2f57re2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/xismzero/my_photos
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

C. Fontaine

I may be heading by that way sometime in the near future, I'll make sure I bring a socket!

XISMZERO

As far as I'm concerned, it's all yours. This is probably one of the easier signs to collect as it's snugly between a huge grassy knoll and a fenced storage yard - which you probably know.

I was glad to see the Ames shopping cart prison still exists... might want to bring some bolt cutters too if you want to adopt some prime, unharmed Ames carts.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Update: April 22, 2007.

Looks exactly the same. There are plans to build a Lowe's here but nothing is certain on what placement the new building will become. I also heard Job Lot will stay.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Shopping cart prison opened! Let them be free!
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

More Ames "Don't Ignore Abuse" leftover decals. Here's one I never saw before.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Many left behind carts. Attention all shoppers! Grab em now (before Job Lot gets their dirty fingers on them).
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Receiving sign still there, heavily faded and bolted hard to the door (otherwise I would've stolen it). Chris, it's still yours if you can get to it.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

No Access sign (it's an ancient one).
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

C. Fontaine

I'll try, maybe this weekend, I'd hate to let it go to waste. Do you remember what kind of bolts are holding it on?  I remember that No Access sign.. lol

C. Fontaine

Ok, depeding on the weather tomorrow I'm heading out to Meriden to fetch the sign.  I'm not to worried as if I can't get the bolts off the door the signs are aluminum and will rip off, as I had to with the one in Kingston, NY  I'm aso thinking of heading to Naugatuck and grabbing that one too, if it is still there... Does anyone know?

Xismzero, is the Meriden Parkade very active and do you have a lot of attention while taking pictures?  I only ask because when I was there I remember it being pretty open except for a big grass hill.

I'll keep you guys updated!

C. Fontaine

Well do I have a story for you all.  Me and my dog Gizmo decided to pack it up and travel to Meriden today!  We ended up pulling off the two riskiest sign grabbings in my sign grabbing history!

First we arrived in Meriden, CT.  My worst fears this trip had come true as we found the perimeter of the store fenced and inaccessible, except for a very exposed opening at the far right of the store.  We walked the perimeter and took photos in disappointment.  After surveying the parking lot a little more we went around back of OSJL, which was also fenced, and I couldn't believe my eyes.  Amidst all the rubble and demolition the door was still there, with the Receiving sign still attached!  I was shocked yet at the same time dismayed and distraught, because I knew it was there and there was nothing I could do about it!  So close but so far away!  So Gizmo and I took some farewell pictures of Meriden and headed on our way to Naugatuck, empty handed.

Arriving in Naugatuck the first thing to catch my eye was that OSJL had taken Ames's spot on the plaza sign, no big deal.  But after getting to the plaza I found that they had actually moved across the plaza and into the Ames space as well!  I was pretty dissappointed at the fact I would be ending our Search and Rescue trip empty handed.  For the hell of it anyway Gizmo and I took a swing around back, and after surveying the graffiti on the walls I saw a rectangular half-painted sign next to their trailer!  Acting against my better judgement and knowing that the store was active I grabbed my screwdriver and asessed the sign.  While doing so I could hear people behind the door so I had to work quick.  Luckily the sign only had 2 screws, and within a minute it was off and in my back seat.  Going back around the plaza I decided to venture into Ames and see what had become of the place.  This Ames was gigantic.  OSJL couldn't even use up all the space, they put up pegboard walls on two sides of the store to create more storage space, and still everything was very spread out!  After that we got some Quiznos down the street and headed back to 84 feeling good that we had at least one sign to take home.

On my way back down 691 the whole Meriden thing kept bugging me.  The more I thought of it the more I wanted that sign.  I was so upset tat we ended up stopping back in Meriden for gas, but ended up at the parkade anyway.  Nothing new except for a guy showing some respect for Ames's final days and cleaning his car in front.  So I parked way over to the right near Family Dollar and the infamous No Access sign.  Over there was a gap in the fence, probably for the workers vehicles and stuff.  After thinking for a while, I had this really bad idea and thought; maybe if I walk my dog down the edge, nobody would think anything of it.  I could then walk around the back of the store unseen and the pile of junk by the receiving door would cover me while I remove the sign.  Knowing it was a bad idea and tresspassing on a construction site is a bad idea I did it anyway.  We made it in back to the No Access loading dock to find the rear completely overgrown and full of dumped brush and tree branches, but we had gone too far, couldn't turn back now.  I picked up my pekingese and walked along the row of hay bails along their property border, making a mess of myself in the process.  Once near the other corner I secured my trusty guard dog around a metal post and to my horror saw the biggest pile of mangled Ames carts ever.  Walking around the corner with demo rubble aside me I realised they had also demolished the steps to the receiving sign!  Now even the bottom of the door was hard to reach.  I still didn't want to turn back now and perhaps it was adrenaline, but I pulled a 'spiderman' and climbed up using a hole in the wall.  I was able to put my foot on a 1" ledge on the door and somewhat hold onto the rusted hinges, which was really hard.  In the most difficult sign removing of my life I attempted to remove the sign with a ratcheting screwdriver.  After about 10 attempts of falling and jumping back up I got all six bolts out and the sign fell to the ground.  Then I realised someone from OSJL was watching before getting down.  Behind the cover of rubble again I grabbed the sign, and took off.  I grabbed Gizmo and went back around to the other side.  Cooling off from the thrill we then calmly walked up the side and out of the site, sign in hand, without even a glance from anyone, thank god!  Needing to cool off from the excitement we went for another stroll outside the fence and mingled with the guy cleaning his car, the walked through the center of the parking lot one last time and took some distance shots.  Getting back to the car we went around the back of OSJL again took one final view at the receiving side of Ames, this time without the receiving sign!  Knowing it was safe and soundly in our posession we left the parkade, taking some final farewel shots to this icon of Amesness.

Finally, heading home on Route 9 I saw an exit for Old Saybrook and figure what the heck, might as well go and see what OSJL has done to this classic.  Upon arrival we found that Job Lot had actually adapted the Ames green color and even painted every door on the building green!  The white sign and the cleanliness of this Ames definitely gave OSJL a nice look.  After relaxing for a bit we got some gas and headed home on good old 95.

On a final note, I have to say, I couldn't believe the gas prices in Connecticut!  I didn't see anything below $3.20 for regular!  I have tons of pictures from this trip, I will have them up soon enough!
QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO

Many left behind carts. Attention all shoppers! Grab em now (before Job Lot gets their dirty fingers on them).
Too late, Job Lot doesn't seem to interested in them either!

greg8370

great adventure, botty and pics!!