How I'd Revitalize a Shopping Center

Started by Marc82, August 11, 2006, 09:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc82

Anyone who's been to Southington, CT knows the poor condition Shaw's Plaza is in despite the fact the plaza is completely occupied. Here's what I'd do.

1. Build a new Burger King close to Queen Street.
2. Build a new CVS with Drive-thru near new Burger King.
3.. Build a new building close to Queen Street for Bernies, I-Party, H&R Block, Moon Nails, and CostCutters.
4. Demolish the former Burger King and build a new building for Petco, GNC, Strawberries, and the Curtain Store.
5. Demolish former Bernies, H&R Block, I-Party, Petco, Town Fair Tire and build a new Shaw's Supermarket.  
6. Demolish rest of plaza GNC, Cost Cutters, Moon Nails, old Shaws, CVS, Stawberries, and Curtain Shop.
7. Build Hometown Buffet, Pier 1 Imports and Target.
8. Reconfigure the parking lot.
9. Put up 2 signs that lists the tenants of the plaza renamed Queen Street Commons. (Current sign that exists is in betwen the two entrances to the plaza and just lists Shaw's and Bernies)

Note: Town Fair Tire will get its own Free-Standing Building on the other side of Queen Street where an abandoned Industrial Building sits next to the Outback Steak House.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
Anyone who's been to Southington, CT knows the poor condition Shaw's Plaza is in despite the fact the plaza is completely occupied. Here's what I'd do.

1. Build a new Burger King close to Queen Street.
2. Build a new CVS with Drive-thru near new Burger King.
3.. Build a new building close to Queen Street for Bernies, I-Party, H&R Block, Moon Nails, and CostCutters.
4. Demolish the former Burger King and build a new building for Petco, GNC, Strawberries, and the Curtain Store.
5. Demolish former Bernies, H&R Block, I-Party, Petco, Town Fair Tire and build a new Shaw's Supermarket.  
6. Demolish rest of plaza GNC, Cost Cutters, Moon Nails, old Shaws, CVS, Stawberries, and Curtain Shop.
7. Build Hometown Buffet, Pier 1 Imports and Target.
8. Reconfigure the parking lot.
9. Put up 2 signs that lists the tenants of the plaza renamed Queen Street Commons. (Current sign that exists is in betwen the two entrances to the plaza and just lists Shaw's and Bernies)

Note: Town Fair Tire will get its own Free-Standing Building on the other side of Queen Street where an abandoned Industrial Building sits next to the Outback Steak House.

the plaza did not look too poor, but it did look old compared to todays standards. and I saw one or two vacant spots. you have a creative idea and creative name for southington.

I would think for the caldor plaza in middletown was for home depot to demolish the rest of the plaza and put the remaining tenants in a more updated space.

a lot of shopping centers have been revitalized.

Zayre88

The Portsmouth Plaza,/Marshalls Mall/Kmart plaza in Portsmouth NH is nearly fully leased.  The only problem is that the plaza has the same look it had 20 years  ago.

1) I would start by adding a pylon sign... !
2) Expand Kmart to the left and renovate the exterior
3) redo the exterior of the rest of the plaza
4) add a peak for the Marshalls logo
5) expand Market Basket to the right and do their usual style with the clock tower
6) add a Tim Hortons in the parking lot
7)  Make the small mall to Marshalls an exterior walkway

It's all basic improvements that should have been done years ago...  see the revitalized pic:

compare with the original site: http://69.93.241.194/~amesfan/forum/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=19&pid=8329

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
the plaza did not look too poor, but it did look old compared to todays standards.

It looks old because the plaza was orginally built in 1962. It was one of the first retail strips on Queen Street when it was all farm land.

You didn't think it looked too poor. Trying going there after it's rained for a couple days and then talk to me. :bigsmile:

We had a period of in October 2005 of 9 straight days of rain and again in May 2006 of at least 9 straight days of rain. The water was up to my ankles.

The plaza look worse this past winter. Between November 2005 and March 2006 3 different vehicles hit some of the collums holding up the building. They had to rip off the damage parts. It was like that until the end of June beginning of July.