Main Menu

Zayre

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

Quote from: gu4ever on May 02, 2010, 06:43:38 PM
Zayre checkout sighting at building 19 in Manchester, NH.

no the Zayre in MAnchester was on Elm st

the Building 19 in Manchster was an Ames and before that it was a Rich's and before that it was Lord's department store

gu4ever

Quote from: d_fife on May 20, 2010, 12:50:18 AM
Quote from: gu4ever on May 02, 2010, 06:43:38 PM
Zayre checkout sighting at building 19 in Manchester, NH.

no the Zayre in MAnchester was on Elm st

the Building 19 in Manchster was an Ames and before that it was a Rich's and before that it was Lord's department store
Thats correct dfife the Building 19 on Hanover Street was never a Zayre store. The Zayre checkout fixtures used at this location now came from a fixture acquisition.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

zayre159

Here are some  item's I found from my old day's at Zayre!

zayre159

Two more.......

gu4ever

Quote from: zayre159 on June 10, 2010, 12:12:23 PM
Two more.......
great photo's zayre159. Welcome to the forum!!

gu4ever

I have yet to find photo's of Zayre department store on Elm Street. I remember it as Zayre and then Ames until the location closed it's doors. It was only a few years before the Verizon center was built to bring some well needed nightlife into the city.
Here are a couple of pictures of the Verizon center formerly home to Zayre department store.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

This Big Lots store in Champaign, Illinois looks to be a former Zayre location.

zayre159

From company Newspaper

zayre159

More from Here-n Zayre

zayre159

Looking for a complete list of locations- address' of Zayre Stores in MA-NH any help would be appriecated.

retailfan

I have found in Indianapolis a old Zayre location on hiway 31 east street  its a flea market now but still reatins most of the original interior  the burnt orange colors even the snack bar booth seating  also the fire extinguishers are from the zayre days  I dont think that this location was ever converted to ames   the old back stock areas and sheving on the outside walls are still intact  definitly a time warp  and not sure how much they will change it  the outside is being redone but the slanted roof still survives 

Zayre88

Quote from: zayre159 on January 28, 2011, 10:12:55 AM
Looking for a complete list of locations- address' of Zayre Stores in MA-NH any help would be appriecated.

Here's what I have: https://sites.google.com/site/zayre88/Zayre

Belmont - Belknap Mall
Concord - Downtown (Storrs Street)
Dover - Ames/Shop'n save plaza
Hooksett -  Granite State Market Place
Seabrook - Seabrook Southgate
Manchester - Elm Street
Nashua - West Side Plaza
Londonderry -
Salem - Salem Plaza

telengard

There was one in Haverhill, can't remember the plaza name off-hand.  I think there is a bank there now.

~telengard

zayre159

The Haverhill ZAYRE was in the Central Plazza on Watyer St. I think its Workout World Or Something like that.
Also.........
Zayre Methuen Jackson St... Big Lots & several Small stores now
Zayre Lawrence Plazza 114 Winthrop Ave. Dollar Store  & Chinese Buffet
Zayre Lowell Central Plazza Church St. Grocery store I Think
Zayre Cambridge Fresh Pond Mall  Unknown
Zayre Worburn Of 128 has been torn down
Zayre No. Reading   Might be Wal-Mart

Still Looking for More, Wish they were still around!!!!!

zayre159

Come On,

Lets keep this Zayre Topic Open!!!!!!!!

gu4ever

Quote from: Zayre88 on March 04, 2011, 07:58:07 PM
Quote from: zayre159 on January 28, 2011, 10:12:55 AM

Here's what I have: https://sites.google.com/site/zayre88/Zayre

Belmont - Belknap Mall
Concord - Downtown (Storrs Street)
Dover - Ames/Shop'n save plaza
Hooksett -  Granite State Market Place
Seabrook - Seabrook Southgate
Manchester - Elm Street
Nashua - West Side Plaza
Londonderry -
Salem - Salem Plaza

The other Nashua, NH location was in south Nashua on Daniel Webster Highway in the Royal Ridge Mall.
This Mall has since been remodeled into a shopping plaza.

TRJ_22487

October 8th, 1969. Grand Opening. Zayre Owner standing outside of Hanover Park, Illinois location at Tradewinds Shopping Center. The plaza opened the year before in 1968.

December 11th, 1976. Unknown Zayre in Massachusetts during repeal of Blue Laws

Anyone recognize which location this is based on the background building? It probably became an Ames.

TRJ_22487

From Wikipedia. Addison, Illinois location in 1980's.

d_fife

why did Zayre have to go under?

jmcnamara96

Quote from: gu4ever on July 03, 2010, 01:11:11 AM
I have yet to find photo's of Zayre department store on Elm Street. I remember it as Zayre and then Ames until the location closed it's doors. It was only a few years before the Verizon center was built to bring some well needed nightlife into the city.
Here are a couple of pictures of the Verizon center formerly home to Zayre department store.

I was in the cementary (practicing photography skills)about 75 feet away from the old Zayre Plaza was and was amazed to see this under my feet! http://www.flickr.com/photos/82768625@N04/8040512582/in/photostream/

Zayre88

Quote from: jmcnamara96 on September 30, 2012, 02:43:10 PM

I was in the cementary (practicing photography skills)about 75 feet away from the old Zayre Plaza was and was amazed to see this under my feet! http://www.flickr.com/photos/82768625@N04/8040512582/in/photostream/

I once saw a picture online of that former Zayre on Elm that was turned into a Staples I believe.  That being said, finding that bag is unbelivable!  Is it really possible that this bag stayed there for more than 20 years??

Lastdaysofrain

Quote from: TRJ_22487 on May 12, 2012, 07:48:03 AM

December 11th, 1976. Unknown Zayre in Massachusetts during repeal of Blue Laws

Anyone recognize which location this is based on the background building? It probably became an Ames.

I believe this is the Medford, MA location that became and Ames (and is now a Stop and Shop)

jmcnamara96

Quote from: Zayre88 on September 30, 2012, 05:54:17 PM
Quote from: jmcnamara96 on September 30, 2012, 02:43:10 PM

I once saw a picture online of that former Zayre on Elm that was turned into a Staples I believe.  That being said, finding that bag is unbelivable!  Is it really possible that this bag stayed there for more than 20 years??

I have know clue what ever happened to the Zayre but i feel GU4ever does as for the bag lots of wood around might have blown out of there into the open

d_fife

why did Ames have to buy Zayre out

do you think Ames and Zayre were SIMILAR? what Zayre do you remember, and Zayre stores you remember in Maine, VErmont, New HAmpshire and MAss?

shore72

From what little I ever saw of Zayres, no, I would not call them real similiar. I guess I was only in one once. It was larger and more upscale than any Ames I'd been in. They were building a new Zayres not too far from here when Ames bought them out; I can't remember if it opened as a Zayre or an Ames, but it was certainly the nicest Ames I ever set foot in. (Salisbury, MD) I would say that was the direction Ames needed to go in, upscale instead of "dumpy", but maybe that's wrong. Earlier tonight I was at the local Roses, a store that was once more "upscale" than Ames and is now truly third-rate...but they seem to be doing quite well as a third-rater, surviving against Wal-Mart & co. I don't know that Ames could have ever out-marted Wal-mart (nor could Zayre).

jmcnamara96

Quote from: shore72 on November 26, 2012, 10:53:46 PM
From what little I ever saw of Zayres, no, I would not call them real similiar. I guess I was only in one once. It was larger and more upscale than any Ames I'd been in. They were building a new Zayres not too far from here when Ames bought them out; I can't remember if it opened as a Zayre or an Ames, but it was certainly the nicest Ames I ever set foot in. (Salisbury, MD) I would say that was the direction Ames needed to go in, upscale instead of "dumpy", but maybe that's wrong. Earlier tonight I was at the local Roses, a store that was once more "upscale" than Ames and is now truly third-rate...but they seem to be doing quite well as a third-rater, surviving against Wal-Mart & co. I don't know that Ames could have ever out-marted Wal-mart (nor could Zayre).
All Ames did in the business world was what is called big fish eats small fish they wanted less competion they decided to buy out the competion

TRJ_22487

September, 1988. Catonsville, MD location.

TRJ_22487

1987 2501 Belair Rd. in Baltimore, Maryland. This is now a Forman Mills.

zonemad96

Forgot to upload these taken back in November of former zayre signs in biglots 2142 White Rd york pa

bubcolbert1952

Quote from: TRJ_22487 on January 17, 2013, 06:42:09 PM
1987 2501 Belair Rd. in Baltimore, Maryland. This is now a Forman Mills.

Not sure where but I thought I read somewhere that the big building (now split into about 15 different very small stores) in the parking lot of this Zayre was once a Two Guys store. So that means there also may have been a Jefferson Ward and then a Bradlees on the site.