Main Menu

Zayre

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldor1999

this caught my eye when i was looking throuth some of my pics is kinda looks liek it once was a zayer im only gusseing because of the bulding dezine its a lomans now and has been for awile but it could be possble that this was a zayre at one time
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

XISMZERO

Consumer champion and radio personality Clark Howard mentioned the late Zayre chain today on his show and talked briefly about the Massachusetts-based discounter's failures and poor business practices leading to their end.

Claiming they had "cheap stuff" (pretty sure if he meant price wise), Clark furthered their inability to satisfy customers due to long lines at checkout. He continued, (who's the king of cheap) was displeased by the long lines causing him to shop elsewhere as a result.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

dave

That "slow checkout" was the same problem I had with the store in Natick. I think it may have been the software they were using at the time, as there wasn't anything else that I could determine caused the lines to move so slowly.

XISMZERO

Here's what the Zayre might've looked like Southington, Conn. This is an artist's rendering of the store as the store didn't open until late 1969. I remember this store as a young kid; it had the 1975 asterisk logo before it became Ames.

This was the first store in Connecticut!

This picture came from The Hartford Courant; July 8, 1969.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Here's the former Zayre in Marcus Plaza in Norwich. This was where it was originally in the early 1970s which later moved to a plaza near I-395, more commonly known as where Ames was in its last years.

It is now TJ Maxx (which makes sense since the Zayre Corp. was absorbed by the TJX Co.).
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Here's the former Zayre in Marcus Plaza in Norwich. This was where it was originally in the early 1970s which later moved to a plaza near I-395, more commonly known as where Ames was in its last years.  

Notice the stilts on the back of the building...
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Looks like they might've patched up some older entrances over time. Plaza shares space with Shop Rite.

EDIT: TJ Maxx was once Shop Rite. Zayre was now where Shop Rite is now.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

d_fife

zayre in Cambridge ohio!!!!

Brenton81

I was wondering if anyone might have a list of former Zayre locations, particularly for Milwaukee, WI.  Apparently there were six Zayre stores in Wisconsin, four in Milwaukee and two in Racine.  I live in Racine and remember both of those stores.  I'm curious about where the four were in Milwaukee and what's become of them.  I haven't been able to dig up anything online.  All of them closed in the late 1980's. None of them became Ames.  The closest Ames to me was in Waukegan, IL but was closed at least as far back as the late 1990's when I first saw the building, a former Zayre store, all boarded up. It looked like it had closed quite a few years before then.

C. Fontaine

Here's a good question someone asked me.  What kind of pizza was sold at Zayre's?  Anyone have any idea?

Lastdaysofrain

I remember it being sort of Ellio's type square clearly frozen pizza, but my memory might be false, it's been a long time.

momof3

Did Zayre have a snack bar????I don't remember if Southington dod or not.

JimSawhill

I believe the Zayre's in East Hartford (supposed to be Ames most profitable store) had a snack bar. I know when it opened Putnam Bridge Plaza had ANDY's supermarket, AC Petersen's, a drug store a laundry and SPREE! (a Zayre's division that sold TOYS).
I think I had pizza at Zayre there thou.

twiki1979

I keep hearing that there is a still standing Zayre storefront in Hooksett,NH but i can't seem to locate it....does anyone know if this is true?:o

C. Fontaine

QuoteOriginally posted by twiki1979
I keep hearing that there is a still standing Zayre storefront in Hooksett,NH but i can't seem to locate it....does anyone know if this is true?:o
I have also heard this legend.

videogamer75

heres the picture of what is supposedly the hooksett nh zayre from google images

C. Fontaine

Well, based on that picture and the website it is from, and some other posts on the site, I determined this to be in the Granite State Marketplace.  It does appear to have been the last Zayre tagged building standing, but now is Wal-Mart.  If you look closely you can see these 2 facades are exactly the same based on the placement of pillars, etc...

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=r584fq91cr4d&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=28989552&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
Well, based on that picture and the website it is from, and some other posts on the site, I determined this to be in the Granite State Marketplace.  It does appear to have been the last Zayre tagged building standing, but now is Wal-Mart.  If you look closely you can see these 2 facades are exactly the same based on the placement of pillars, etc...

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=r584fq91cr4d&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=28989552&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

d_fife would probably confirm that and have the entire history behind that store ;)  But I think you're right.  Wal-Mart just added windows to the existing Zayre facade.  Here's a picture of that store:

twiki1979

that's heartbreaking! I was just up there and went looking around for it but i couldn't find it...guess now i know why!:mad:

retailfan

Yes there used to be one in Muncie Indiana but I think its gone
i traveled hiway 32 Kilgore Ave by birdseye view and was not able to find it  I googled it  and its mentioned on Lost Muncie but says nothing about the status  of the building
last i was up there 4 years ago it still stood  too bad I wonder if anyone save the road sign  it was neat and unlike any others mostly neon  saying fabulous department stores
Ill try to find out info  or a picture of the building and sign

C. Fontaine

I just received a genuine piece of Zayre history in the mail from a long time member, Ken!  It's a Zayre shoe horn.

kendra

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
I just received a genuine piece of Zayre history in the mail from a long time member, Ken!  It's a Zayre shoe horn.

Awesome!!

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
heres the picture of what is supposedly the hooksett nh zayre from google images

This is a really interesting Walmart. One of the few left that when you walk into the store you can actually see all four perimeter walls clearly around the store. Walmart added the exterior lobby to add additional room inside the store and to save on heating and cooling. This location will be closing it's doors in the middle of Aug. 2009 to move to it's new Supercenter home up on 3A just north of Manchester.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

gu4ever

The former home of Zayre in Nashua, NH.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=r40536914j5x&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=1622489&encType=1

The Big Lot's occupies the left portion of the former Zayre store. There are a few clear traces to it's existence still remaining. In this photo you can see the stock room which was part of the original selling floor with the original stockroom in the background.

gu4ever

I remember when Zayre was brand new and just opened. This photo shows the air duct in the ceiling, I remember as a kid thinking how huge these vents looked.

gu4ever

This is the door to the stairwell to the upper level former Zayre offices. You can see the original Zayre orange sign that says "employees only" posted on the door.
To the left of this door would be where the checkout counters began over to the main entrance. To the right of this door was the record/electronics department. Beyond electronics was the corridor to the restrooms and another stairwell to the upper offices.

gu4ever

gu4ever

This photo was taken in the Home Goods store which occupies the right hand side of the former store, this was were the main entrance was located. You can see the various colors in the floor tile, the darker tile shade was the department area, the lighter shade was the main aisle throughout the store and sadly :( the single cream tile stripe was once a shade of zayre orange to seperate the two.

gu4ever

Another view of the former 16' traffic aisle that ran though the back of the store.

gu4ever

Here's a view of the former Zayre of Londonderry, NH

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=r49k6n91mh6s&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=14100275&encType=1

It's interesting that when Zayre built their newer stores that they continued to use the bown and orange decor package. These colors had become very outdated by the early 80's.
This photo shows an air duct in the Londonderry location.