Main Menu

Zayre

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gu4ever

I never got to shop at this store when it was a Zayre, but luckily Home Goods did not change much of the flooring or restroom area.
This picture shows a thin orange stripe in the floor tile. I remember this same stripe at the Nashua location used to outline the shoe department.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

gu4ever

This was part of the front main aisle at Zayre.

gu4ever

A last look at the Zayre 16' main aisle in the back of the store. It was really great to see the original flooring still completely in tack.

Zayre88

Nice pictures gu4ever !

Here's an Ames labelscar overlapping a Zayre labelscar in Augusta ME.

Zayre88

Former Zayre in Saco ME before demolition in 2004.  You can still see the letter "e" labelscar from Zayre at right of the former green Ames logo.

jmcnamara96

those gotta go on the locator

jmcnamara96

you shold get those zayre88

Zayre88

Unfortunately I can't buy them because it's USA Shipping only and USA Paypal only.  So whoever here wants to buy these "collectible" Zayre bags can do it.  It's a good buy!

gu4ever

The former home of Zayre department store in Dover, NH.

gu4ever

The former home of Zayre department store now occupied by Walmart.
Zayre and Purity Supreme were the original anchors for this shopping center.
Here's a link to the shopping center.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=r43tcp926p12&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=14011656&encType=1

kendra

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
Unfortunately I can't buy them because it's USA Shipping only and USA Paypal only.  So whoever here wants to buy these "collectible" Zayre bags can do it.  It's a good buy!

Too bad I just saw this today -- I totally would have bid on them! Oh well.

gu4ever

Here's a great street sign of the Zayre Department Store, when they used the word fabulous to describe themselves.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/houseofhall/3189228034/sizes/l/in/set-72157612446577615/

retailfan

Thats the store that stood in Muncie Indiana  and was empty for years  with the lights still on  even after Ames took over  i believe its all gone now  but havent been up there for a while

retailfan

also if you look at all the photos in his set you will see target if you look close youll see the lablescar from Ayrway

Ameskid

Probably.

Joke: What's brown and orange and has asterisks all over?
Answer: jmcnamara96's uncle's old fridge
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

TRJ22487

Soon to be opening in 1967

jmcnamara96

Vintage photo of the Church St Zayre Grand Opening November 15, 1961 XISMERO took pics a few years ago not changed muck over the years

gu4ever

2 items I recently found with Zayre on them!!

coolbabes

I was going through some stuff at work recently and found this little guy.  I'm not sure why Zayre would have their own coffee scoops but I guess why not.

jmcnamara96

Quote from: gu4ever on March 10, 2010, 04:28:47 AM
2 items I recently found with Zayre on them!!

My boss just gave me a Zayre yarn spool

d_fife

name your memories of Zayre and if they werent bought out by Ames, would they have gone under eventually, and they had stores in almost half the states, would they have made it to being a national? One of their stores became the first Wal-mart in NEw England.

do you think they where similiar to Ames. its Already been 20 years since the Zayre name VANISHED! I actually likeD Zayre Better than Ames, trust me I did. and for Zayre in Bigger populated areas, why did they have one in RUmford? the nearest one to me was in the Belknap mall.

Zayre never saw the 1990s.

here is this: http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1356&dat=19811030&id=VNcTAAAAIBAJ&sjid=bAYEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5027,9217900

d_fife

how similiar did any of you think Zayre was to Ames? and what do you make of their stores to now standards? and surprised they had a Zayre in ST Johnsbury, why did they have one there?

and this too  http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=TCwyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=pukFAAAAIBAJ&pg=6024,4075321&dq=zayre&hl=en

gu4ever

Quote from: d_fife on March 31, 2010, 01:43:17 AM
how similiar did any of you think Zayre was to Ames? and what do you make of their stores to now standards? and surprised they had a Zayre in ST Johnsbury, why did they have one there?

and this too  http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=TCwyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=pukFAAAAIBAJ&pg=6024,4075321&dq=zayre&hl=en
The Zayre that opened in north Nashua on route 101-a was a nice store, good size similiar to a Bradlees except the color theme was brown, orange and tan!!  :-\
From what I recall Zayre had the larger selling floor space compared to Ames of that time period. After the merger of the two Ames changes it's colors to green and their new stores were like nothing I had ever seen... Bright, spacious and well organized with some pretty amazing graphics.
The Zayre in St Johnsbury... was that in the Green Mountain Mall eventually becoming Rich's?

d_fife

Quote from: gu4ever on April 02, 2010, 03:22:35 AM
Quote from: d_fife on March 31, 2010, 01:43:17 AM

The Zayre that opened in north Nashua on route 101-a was a nice store, good size similiar to a Bradlees except the color theme was brown, orange and tan!!  :-\
From what I recall Zayre had the larger selling floor space compared to Ames of that time period. After the merger of the two Ames changes it's colors to green and their new stores were like nothing I had ever seen... Bright, spacious and well organized with some pretty amazing graphics.
The Zayre in St Johnsbury... was that in the Green Mountain Mall eventually becoming Rich's?

the Zayre in ST Johnsbury was in the Green Mountain Mall before becoming Rich's and the one in North Nashua opened around Christmas in 1985

gu4ever

Zayre checkout sighting at building 19 in Manchester, NH.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: XISMZERO on December 10, 2007, 12:27:59 AM
Here's what the Zayre might've looked like Southington, Conn. This is an artist's rendering of the store as the store didn't open until late 1969. I remember this store as a young kid; it had the 1975 asterisk logo before it became Ames.

This was the first store in Connecticut!

This picture came from The Hartford Courant; July 8, 1969.

Coolness.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: gu4ever on May 02, 2010, 06:43:38 PM
Zayre checkout sighting at building 19 in Manchester, NH.

Wicked cool.

zayre159

Greetings from store 159 Methuen Ma.
Worked there late 70's Early 80's
Wish they still were around now!
By the way items like the coffee scoup & shoehorn
might have been prizes in the ZINGO GAME.