Stuart's Department Stores

Started by d_fife, July 12, 2005, 07:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmcnamara96

Quote from: d_fife on March 25, 2010, 01:51:40 PM
Quote from: gu4ever on March 25, 2010, 01:00:45 PM
Quote from: d_fife on March 25, 2010, 02:14:54 AM
Quote from: jmcnamara96 on March 07, 2010, 08:06:44 PM
Heres the one in Sunrise Shopping Center Lowell Mass were Ames resided from 1996-2002  here it is as Stuarts  opens September 28, 1967

how did you find this? I only went to Stuarts in BIddeford (in the last 6 months) and Nashua (when itw as 60 percent off) and what did you guys think of their stores, I thought they were junk shopes, what where they meant to be and cater to. I tried to go to the one in Goffstown and it was already gone (I mean I live an hour from MAnchester and I didnt know it was there all that time)
The Stuarts that I visited when they were still fully in operation were a cheaper version of Rich's department store.
Stuarts always had the feeling of being dirty and not very neat and organized, I'm sure they weren't always like that, but even as a young kid I didn't like shopping there it was just a boring store to go to with my Mom.

I could tell it was a knock off of Rich's and what do you think was junkier Ames or STuarts, and I noticed a lot of their stores concentrated around Lawrence nad Lowell. Which Rich's did you go to. and what you have said of Stuarts, is that why they were one of the first regionals to go and their stores were tiny compared to now aday stores!! and many later ones where not built from the ground up! I only went to their stores near their last days and a few years before saw a couple and didnt know what STuarts was as it looked like a junk shop

d_fife the photo is off a Lowel Facebook group and i wasnt around for Stuarts but my parents said it wasnt a go to place it was a if thats on sale then got type of store

d_fife

Quote from: jmcnamara96 on March 25, 2010, 02:09:49 PM
Quote from: d_fife on March 25, 2010, 01:51:40 PM
Quote from: gu4ever on March 25, 2010, 01:00:45 PM
Quote from: d_fife on March 25, 2010, 02:14:54 AM
Quote from: jmcnamara96 on March 07, 2010, 08:06:44 PM
Heres the one in Sunrise Shopping Center Lowell Mass were Ames resided from 1996-2002  here it is as Stuarts  opens September 28, 1967

how did you find this? I only went to Stuarts in BIddeford (in the last 6 months) and Nashua (when itw as 60 percent off) and what did you guys think of their stores, I thought they were junk shopes, what where they meant to be and cater to. I tried to go to the one in Goffstown and it was already gone (I mean I live an hour from MAnchester and I didnt know it was there all that time)
The Stuarts that I visited when they were still fully in operation were a cheaper version of Rich's department store.
Stuarts always had the feeling of being dirty and not very neat and organized, I'm sure they weren't always like that, but even as a young kid I didn't like shopping there it was just a boring store to go to with my Mom.

I could tell it was a knock off of Rich's and what do you think was junkier Ames or STuarts, and I noticed a lot of their stores concentrated around Lawrence nad Lowell. Which Rich's did you go to. and what you have said of Stuarts, is that why they were one of the first regionals to go and their stores were tiny compared to now aday stores!! and many later ones where not built from the ground up! I only went to their stores near their last days and a few years before saw a couple and didnt know what STuarts was as it looked like a junk shop

d_fife the photo is off a Lowel Facebook group and i wasnt around for Stuarts but my parents said it wasnt a go to place it was a if thats on sale then got type of store

ask them more of the chain and can anyone else say more of the chain. it went out in the Summer of 1995.

d_fife

retailisking

Bad enough that I really don't miss them at all. Even Rich's was nicer. And Bradlees and Caldor were in a league of their own.

TRJ_22487

This was the Athol, Mass location back in 2006. This is my girlfriend's hometown, it is a terribly run down area dominated by drug abuse.

The plaza basically looks the same these days aside from Brooks.
Hannaford was a Shop n' Save in the 80's/90's.
Mars/Stuarts was the area between Advance Auto Parts and Family Dollar.
From the stories I've heard this town has never been a nice area.

d_fife

Quote from: retailisking on September 28, 2012, 03:15:42 AM
Bad enough that I really don't miss them at all. Even Rich's was nicer. And Bradlees and Caldor were in a league of their own.

what stuart's did you go to???? and I went to one in Biddeford and Nashua in 1994 and they were junky surprised???????????????????????

surprised theier first store was in Lowell Mass?

d_fife

name all the bad stuff about this chain. I hear nothing good of it. Also, were you surprised it opened its first store in lowell?

retailisking

Stuarts was a great big nothing as discount stores went - it's truly amazing they survived as long as they did. They didn't even have a cool mascot like Marty the Elephant (Mammoth Mart, another otherwise unexceptional discount chain.)

d_fife

what do you mean great big nothing and surprised it survived? it almost went out in 1991.

Zayre88

Back in 2015, the Lowell Sun published a story about Stuart's here: http://www.lowellsun.com/lifestyles/ci_28606885/remember-when

They have a couple of pictures!

Retail_247

Did any Stuart's locations have the actual logo as their sign?

All of the photos of stores that I've seen only have the word "STUARTS" in a basic font

I found a photo on this forum a while back showing a shopping center sign with the actual logo but the store itself wasn't in the picture
Retail_247