Less choices and variety in retail

Started by Zayre88, July 31, 2006, 07:01:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgal26
My biggest problem is that there used to be alot of variety when you had Ames, Caldor, Hills, Gold Circle, Woolworth's and GC Murphy to choose from.  I shopped at them all for a variety of different reasons and that was what kept them all unique.  Now all we have is Target and Wal-Mart and I just don't get that excited about shopping at either of them.

I think that the biggest trend we will see in the future is that people will get tired of only shopping at one or two stores and there will need to be some type of variety or everyone will just choose to shop online.

:yup: :yup: :yup: :yup: :yup: :yup: :yup:  :yup: :yup: :yup: :yup:

It's true that over the years, we're went from many store chains, (often regional chains) to only a few today.

In discount stores, Ames, Hills, Caldor, Bradlees and many more are all gone and Wal-Mart, Target and Kmart remain...

Of course, many general stores were replaced by speciality chains but the same thing happens.  Only two or three chains exists in each category and they all look alike.

Bed,Bath&Beyond/Linens'n Things  SportsAuthority/Dick's  Staples/Office Depot/Max   Michaels/A.C.Moore  Petco/PetQuarters  Borders/Barnes&Noble  BestBuy/Circuit City  HomeDepot/Lowe's and so on....

Even when shopping online, the websites of two companies in the same field are almost the same, like if one is the division of the other...  

Everything is standardized so every customer gets the same shopping experience at all stores, it's good in a way but every region and city will soon be the same nationally in retail...

Caldor1999

theres a less variety in discount stores now a days its pretty much just wal mart targhet and kmart compaired to lets say 1994 when u had jamesway hills caldor ames bradlees venture woolworth ect now its just down to 3

theres also alot of dept stores still around JC Penny Sears Macys ect
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Ameskid

Everyone's trying to be discount, and unfortunately it's working. I mean, everything you see in ads today is stuff like, "LOOK! Only 1.00!" and "Shop here you'll be glad you did!" and "Spectacluar Sale-A-Bration! Hurry In!" Think about it. How many people do you see at JCPenney versus another **discount** clothing store? And, some of the time, the ads have strings attached. Like, last week, my mom and I went shopping for a file cabinet. At Staples, they had a small two-drawer one for a really good price. It comes in tan or black, and I pick black. When we go to check out, it's a higher price than on the ad. "We're sorry, that price was for the tan file cabinet." Why can't everyone just go back to normal and make an honest living instead of selling cheapo crap?!:flaming::exorcist:
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

powersbt

That's the thing that makes Retailers push to have more sales. People like Discounts. People want to save money, and will go to where the "better" Deals are. JC Penney does offer Discounts, Having a **% Off Sale, or their Chocolate Bar Discount, or Early Bird Specials, so they have their own ways of generating customers. In the Grocery End many people will leapfrog from store to store to store to pick up items that are on sale that week. Possibly stock up on some items.

that's the main concern. Retailers want to draw the customers in, and will do most anything necessary to get the customer's Buck.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ameskid
Everyone's trying to be discount, and unfortunately it's working. I mean, everything you see in ads today is stuff like, "LOOK! Only 1.00!" and "Shop here you'll be glad you did!" and "Spectacluar Sale-A-Bration! Hurry In!" Think about it. How many people do you see at JCPenney versus another **discount** clothing store? And, some of the time, the ads have strings attached. Like, last week, my mom and I went shopping for a file cabinet. At Staples, they had a small two-drawer one for a really good price. It comes in tan or black, and I pick black. When we go to check out, it's a higher price than on the ad. "We're sorry, that price was for the tan file cabinet." Why can't everyone just go back to normal and make an honest living instead of selling cheapo crap?!:flaming::exorcist:

beachgal26

I agree to a point since I do not feel "valued" at most stores anymore.  The store manager keeps a skeleton crew on staff which means longer lines and no one to help you if you need something.  (Remember, the good old days when you could turn around in any discount store and find someone in a colored store vest who really knew the store and would be glad to help you.....)

I know first-hand that the fewer employees on the floor at any one time keeps the store costs down and that results in a big, fat bonus for the store manager.  You would really think that he would care, but he'll probably move on to another store in a year or two, so why should he care who comes back and given how little choice we have today in where to shop, the consumer does not have alot of choices.

Thinking back to the 70's, I can't help but remember a time when people would stop shopping at a certain store if their prices seemed too high or if they stopped giving stamps, etc.  It really sent a message to the company and they would re-examine some of their policies.  Can you picture any store manager taking a stand like that today?

:mad: :flaming: :mad: :flaming: :mad: :flaming: :mad: :flaming: :mad: :flaming: :mad: :flaming: :mad: :flaming:

P.S.  I will now step down off my soapbox for today.  Thanks for letting me rant!

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

There's only a handful of regional retailers left. Out of most of the regional retailers that remain, ShopKo and Pamida are the ones that stand out the most. ShopKo primarily focuses on the Midwest, with additional stores in the Mountain, Plains, and Pacific Northwest states. Pamida focuses on small Midwestern communities that aren't big enough for Wal-Mart or Kmart.

Marc82

I can think of Dillards as another regional store.

The Adamantium Elbow

I agree it's just gotten really boring with retail stores these days. Too much Big Box Mania. I mean I'm not one of those anti-corporate wackaloons but I would like some variety. Fast food's gotten that way too. It's all McDonald's, Burger King, and Wendy's everywhere. I don't know I guess I'm just tired of the same old same old. :boring:

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by The Adamantium Elbow
Fast food's gotten that way too. It's all McDonald's, Burger King, and Wendy's everywhere.

And Subway. They're 11 of them near me:

Bristol, CT - Route 6 (across from Shoprite), Route 6 (inside Walmart) - Route 6 (next to Blockbuster), Pine Street (in the Forestville Section of town), North Main Street (downtown), Route 229 (down the road from ESPN). That's 6!

Southington: Route 10 (in the Plaza behind Taco Bell), Route 10 (across from Walmart), Route 10 (inside Walmart), Route 229 (near DD about a mile from Target), and in the Plantsville section of town right near IGA. That's 5.

No Sonic. The nearest one is gonna be in Wallingford. Too far to go just for fast food. No Popeye's. Nearest one is at the Truckstop in Southington (not on the locator). Too Far for fast food. No Chik-Fil-A. Nearest is in New Hampshire. Way too Fat for Far Food.

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
QuoteOriginally posted by The Adamantium Elbow
Fast food's gotten that way too. It's all McDonald's, Burger King, and Wendy's everywhere.

And Subway. They're 11 of them near me:

Bristol, CT - Route 6 (across from Shoprite), Route 6 (inside Walmart) - Route 6 (next to Blockbuster), Pine Street (in the Forestville Section of town), North Main Street (downtown), Route 229 (down the road from ESPN). That's 6!

Southington: Route 10 (in the Plaza behind Taco Bell), Route 10 (across from Walmart), Route 10 (inside Walmart), Route 229 (near DD about a mile from Target), and in the Plantsville section of town right near IGA. That's 5.

No Sonic. The nearest one is gonna be in Wallingford. Too far to go just for fast food. No Popeye's. Nearest one is at the Truckstop in Southington (not on the locator). Too Far for fast food. No Chik-Fil-A. Nearest is in New Hampshire. Way too Fat for Far Food.  

Agree with you Marc82, Subway is all over the place here in NH.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

nims57

Near my old house, the grocery stores almost all but closed! This one store was a Safeway, then AppleTree (local chain), then Randalls (bought by Safeway). After Randalls closed, it was an H-E-B (local chain). Eventually the H-E-B closed, the Kroger closed, all the Albertsons closed, and the other Randalls.

In November 2009, ShopKo introduced online shopping. It would be a great way to be introduced to the ShopKo shopping experience, while being far away from their region.

Here's a list of the remaining retailers for Zayre88's website:

Discounters:
Walmart
Kmart/Sears
Target
Kohl's
Shopko
Pamida
Meijer

Membership Warehouses:
Costco Wholesale
BJ's Wholesale Club
Sam's Club

Home Centers:
Home Depot
Lowe's
Menards

Defunct:
Ames
Ann & Hope
Ayr-Way
Bradlees
Caldor
Copps
G.C.Murphy's
Globe
Hills
Jamesway
JM Fields
King's
Mammoth Mart
Prange Way
Rich's
Richway
Stuart's
Two Guys
Venture
Woolco
Woolworth
Zayre

All the ones listed in Italics are the the ones not listed on Zayre88's website yet.

amesguy95

I think it needs to be noted, though, that this was also Ames' downfall. People don't always like the variety -- they want to KNOW what they're getting when they go into a store. When a store has 300 different facades and storefronts, different color schemes (white/green and white/red), a mix of updated/not updated stores (they simply didn't bother to update some Zayre acquisitions), it's a turn off to the consumer. Did Ames EVER build their own stores? Or just acquire them and change around a logo?

That was one of the many problem with Ames.

BillyGr

Quote from: amesguy95 on August 14, 2010, 09:34:45 PM
Did Ames EVER build their own stores? Or just acquire them and change around a logo?

I know of at least one that they built (Rensselaer/East Greenbush NY) - it was in a plaza with Shoprite - the whole plaza was built new in the early 1980's.  It seems that there were a couple others mentioned as well?

gu4ever

Quote from: BillyGr on August 14, 2010, 09:48:33 PM
Quote from: amesguy95 on August 14, 2010, 09:34:45 PM
Did Ames EVER build their own stores? Or just acquire them and change around a logo?

I know of at least one that they built (Rensselaer/East Greenbush NY) - it was in a plaza with Shoprite - the whole plaza was built new in the early 1980's.  It seems that there were a couple others mentioned as well?

I remember Ames building a brand new store at Granite Plaza in Milford, NH back in the early 80's. They also built a brand new freestanding store on Hospital Drive in St. Johnsbury, VT. Both locations opened with the classic red&white design inside. The St Johnsbury store was very impressive, it was clean and well organized and had a cool layout. 
Kmart is the retailer I think of now that reminds me of Ames back then... With their mixed store designs and store front signs.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: ShopKoFan on August 14, 2010, 05:00:09 PM
Ann & Hope

Ann & Hope is still around. They just changed their concept and their name a bit. They're now known as Ann & Hope Curtain and Bath Outlet and operate 9 stores in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island.

http://www.curtainandbathoutlet.com/ - If you check out their history section it'll tell you about the olden days.

ynkeesfn82

Discounters:
Sears
Target
Kohl's

I'd hardly call Sears, Target and Kohl's Discount Stores.

ynkeesfn82

AMES downfall was that they were greedy. Trying to get too big to quickly. They went bankrupt after buying out Zayre. They recovered. And then they went bankrupt again after they bought out Hills and that other retailer. It's like they didn't learn their lesson the first time. Ultimately it cost them the entire chain.

amesguy95

Quote from: ynkeesfn82 on August 15, 2010, 10:15:37 AM
AMES downfall was that they were greedy. Trying to get too big to quickly. They went bankrupt after buying out Zayre. They recovered. And then they went bankrupt again after they bought out Hills and that other retailer. It's like they didn't learn their lesson the first time. Ultimately it cost them the entire chain.
I'd agree on Zayre. But Hills was a move Ames HAD to make, if they didn't do anything they would've been blown out of the water by Wal-Mart, and, ultimately, it didn't work. Originally, it looked like it was working for awhile, they were the golden example of a store that survived the penetration of Wal-Mart in the late 90s. But we all know their fate.

It's just one of a lot of things Ames didn't do right.

gu4ever

Quote from: ynkeesfn82 on August 15, 2010, 10:08:25 AM
Discounters:
Sears
Target
Kohl's

I'd hardly call Sears, Target and Kohl's Discount Stores.
Well Target actually reminds me of Bradlees with it's selections and variety..... But their prices? ouch!!

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: gu4ever on August 15, 2010, 09:48:48 PM
Well Target actually reminds me of Bradlees with it's selections and variety..... But their prices? ouch!!

Some of the prices on the food items at Target are right on target (pun intended) with Walmart.

For clothes I have to go to Walmart because Target does not carry big sizes for men on a regular basis. I wear size 46 pants and 4XL shirts. A couple times I have lucked out at Target, but usually more times than not I don't have any luck.

Kohl's, JCP, and Sears rarely have my size either. Online yes, but I like to try on before I buy.

I also like AJ Wright because both of locations I've shopped at (Waterbury and New Britain, CT) have specific Big & Tall sections so they always have my size, though the last time I bought 2 shirts there my size was too tight. For whatever reason the sizes of those particular styles run small.

TJ MAXX AJ Wright's sister store never has my size and they have a bias towards the Redsox and the Patriots, not good for a Yankees and Giants fan like myself. One could argue of course they are biased towards the Boston teams because their parent company is just outside of Boston, but AJ Wright sells Yankees stuff. (Then again AJ Wright is geared towards the hip-hop crowd and a lot of them are into The Yankees).

Marshall's, yet another TJX owned store sometimes has my size. It's hit or miss there, but twice in the past 2 years I've found stuff in my size there at their Plainville, CT location.

zonemad96

Quote from: Marc B on August 16, 2010, 12:35:51 AM
Quote from: gu4ever on August 15, 2010, 09:48:48 PM

Some of the prices on the food items at Target are right on target (pun intended) with Walmart.

For clothes I have to go to Walmart because Target does not carry big sizes for men on a regular basis. I wear size 46 pants and 4XL shirts. A couple times I have lucked out at Target, but usually more times than not I don't have any luck.

Kohl's, JCP, and Sears rarely have my size either. Online yes, but I like to try on before I buy.

I also like AJ Wright because both of locations I've shopped at (Waterbury and New Britain, CT) have specific Big & Tall sections so they always have my size, though the last time I bought 2 shirts there my size was too tight. For whatever reason the sizes of those particular styles run small.

TJ MAXX AJ Wright's sister store never has my size and they have a bias towards the Redsox and the Patriots, not good for a Yankees and Giants fan like myself. One could argue of course they are biased towards the Boston teams because their parent company is just outside of Boston, but AJ Wright sells Yankees stuff. (Then again AJ Wright is geared towards the hip-hop crowd and a lot of them are into The Yankees).

Marshall's, yet another TJX owned store sometimes has my size. It's hit or miss there, but twice in the past 2 years I've found stuff in my size there at their Plainville, CT location.

I really like targets that have the "Fresh Grocery" section in them they have a wider variety of products that are unique more so than any store I have ever been in. When your looking for something new you have never tried before when it comes to food then target is the place to go.

Here's a list of some of the remaining retailers in the United States:

Discount Stores

Walmart
Kmart
Target
Shopko
Shopko Hometown

Drug Stores/Pharmacies

Walgreens
Duane Reade
CVS/Pharmacy
Rite Aid
Shopko Express

Supercenters/Hypermarkets

Walmart
Kmart Supercenter
Super Target
Fred Meyer
Meijer

Grocery Stores

IGA
SuperValu
Walmart Neighborhood Market
ALDI
Save A Lot
Meijer
Whole Foods
Trader Joe's
Kroger
Fred Meyer
Winn-Dixie
Publix
Piggly Wiggly
Copps Food Center
Pick 'n Save
Rainbow Foods
Jewel-Osco
Cub Foods
Albertson's
Woodman's

Hardware and Home Improvement

The Home Depot
Lowe's
Menard's
Ace Hardware
True Value
Do It Best Hardware

Membership Warehouses

Sam's Club
BJ's Wholesale Club
Costco Wholesale

Quote from: gu4ever on August 15, 2010, 07:35:54 AM
Kmart is the retailer I think of now that reminds me of Ames back then... With their mixed store designs and store front signs.
Shopko is another discount store chain that also had a mix of store designs (some had the entertainment department in the back, some had it in the center of the store, and some had it in the corner of the store), some stores were big, some were small, some had one entrance, some had two entrances, and some were attached to shopping malls. Most of their stores have new store front and pylon signs featuring their new brown logo from 2008 which replaced their red/blue "ShopKo" (with a capital K) logo used from 1991 to 2008. Some stores had updated interiors, while some others felt like they haven't been updated since 2001.

Stork of The Weak

Why didn't Ames have more stores in the Philadelphia suburbs? It would seem they would have done great in the area, at least before Walmart entered. I don't get why Kmart was able to coexist with so many other chains like it for so long but as soon as Walmart came to town (not just in Philadelphia but everywhere else) all the smaller chains were wiped out fast.

TheFugitive

That's a really great question!  Come to think of it, I don't remember any stores we had which were
particularly close to Philly.

Stork of The Weak

Thanks. Actually two former Caldor stores in the city of Philadelphia were Ames for a very short time afterwards, along with a former Caldor in Bristol, just outside the city. It's amazing how both Ames and Bradlees took a few ex-Caldor sites, but both Ames and Bradlees closed anyway so soon afterward. Kmart opened at a few former Caldor sites also but had no success with them, yet Walmart opened at a few of these same sites and has done just fine. The former Jamesway in Thorndale also was an Ames from 1996 to 2002. Strangely from 1995 to 2003 the former Jamesway in nearby Harleysville sat empty, yet became a relocation of the Henning's supermarket next door after all that time. And Henning's seemed way overdue to update their store.

There also were Ames in Lansdale and Boyertown in the more distant Philly suburbs. Also in NJ, there were Ames in Cinnaminson, Paulsboro, and Vineland in NJ which all are close to Philly, and at least one in the Wilmington area in Delaware. I think the Ames in Cinnaminson replaced an older one in nearby Willingboro.