Main Menu

Hills

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tokensafari

They're really not that similar. A lot of stores from the late 80's and early 90's used these types of logos; straight to the point. Smart truthfully!

truviking05

I don't really see a similarity; Ames is like a modern print-type while Hills is classic cursive writing in my eyes.

Zayre88

The only thing similar is the way the bottom of the letters are the same for "mes" from Ames and "ill" from Hills ...

truviking05

We were on the topic of Hills...we were discussing the logo.

I was in Hills maybe once. It reminded me of K-mart.

storehistoryguy

Is that the Hills in the black circle? Also, did you notcie that Hills sign where the green circle is?

storehistoryguy

What year did Hills go out? I can't remember.

Jag67

storehistoryguy

There weren't any Hills near me.

98, that the same year Caldor announced they were closing. Wal-Mart killed them!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy

98, that the same year Caldor announced they were closing. Wal-Mart killed them!

Cakldor closed in may of 1999 in jan 1999 they announced they were closing for good

in 1998 Caldor closed 12 stores so u could be thinking of thast
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

Cakldor closed in may of 1999 in jan 1999 they announced they were closing for good

The branch where my mother used to work in 1991 started there closing sale in 1998 and closed in 1999.

storehistoryguy

The Hills Headquarters, now abandon.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

The branch where my mother used to work in 1991 started there closing sale in 1998 and closed in 1999.

huh uit had to be under preforming cause they didetn go out till 1999 mine closed in may maby they did it in a round og GOB sales like they closed one half in in early 1999 and the outher half in mid 1999
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

tokensafari

When Ames basically bought Hills (It was labled a merger)... anyways... They converted most of them to Ames Stores and closed the stores that overlapped each other. So, when Ames started having trouble and began to close stores... Ames stores that were Formerly Hills were closed. That was the first round of closings.

storehistoryguy

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
Rubicks Cube demonstration at a Hills Department Store.

heh thats gotta be from 1981
Caldor Forever!

Zayre88

Hills Department store truck pic  taken in 1991

Are you sure?  It does not look like the real Hills logo...

http://www.hillstrucking.com/

Maybe that company once was the Trucking division of Hills and survived...

storehistoryguy

Hills Department Stores recall

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml95/95060.html

an article reguarding Hills Chapter 11

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3092/is_n9_v32/ai_13826953\

Another thing about Hills

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/stories/1998/05/11/daily4.html

Hills Toy collectables

http://www.hillsstores.com/hills_collectibles.htm

BTW did Hills have a website and what was the address?

It might have been http://www.hillsstores.com/ How do you get those sites?

storehistoryguy

Hills Toy Truck.

storehistoryguy

You would think that Hills main office would be bigger.

HoJofan206

How many locations did Hills have at the height of the company?  When did HIlls originate and when did they go under?   :huh::question::huh::question:

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by HoJofan206
How many locations did Hills have at the height of the company?  When did HIlls originate and when did they go under?   :huh::question::huh::question:

hills was founded in 1957 they had over 160 stores but closed some before ames aquirred them in 1998 ames keped some hilss stores open bbut by 1999 hey were all converted into ames
Caldor Forever!

tokensafari

a bad move if you ask me...

storehistoryguy

another pic

Whats that supermarket there? I can't tell what it says.

store215

another pic

It says P & C Foods...a chain owned by the almost-bankrupt Penn Traffic Corp. (They also owned the Big Bear chain that closed a few years back in Ohio and other states)

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
another pic

It says P & C Foods...a chain owned by the almost-bankrupt Penn Traffic Corp. (They also owned the Big Bear chain that closed a few years back in Ohio and other states)

I'll start a thread for them in supermarkets.

d_fife

A Hills.

I beleive this one is in Horseheads/ Elmira new york, due to the address. I have never been to the area. From the store locator of the Ames fan club, it said Lake st for Horseheads new york.

I had never been in a hill's. were they like Ames??????????? I saw the one in Lanesboro vacant last year and the Hills labelscar showed. I saw the Ames vacant in Plattsburgh this sumer but it had the Ames logo. I heard the one in lanesboro will get torn down to be rebuilt to target that opens this march.

tokensafari

Yes, Penn Traffic closed Big Bear due to Chapter 11 bankruptcy re-organization. A ignorant move! They could have sold the chain and made money off the deal. The remaining stores under the Penn Traffic wing will no doubt see the same or worse fate that Big Bear saw!

storehistoryguy

I always liked this Hills sign. You can see Hills behind Ames in the second one.

storehistoryguy

If you read that little article they mention something about an Rubiks cube challenge at Hills.

http://cubeman.org/