What Was Before The Ames? The Answer\'s are here!

Started by XISMZERO, July 18, 2006, 04:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XISMZERO

Years ago, when I used to go up to Port Jefferson Ferry in Bridgeport, I would go down Route 8 and see a huge attraction sight with "Ames" on it off the highway halfway there. Back then, this was just after Ames closed up their stores I actually believed the store might still be in business.  

Flashforward; yesterday my girlfriend and I passed through 8 to I-95 and I figured this was the time to finally take some pictures of the store's vacant storefront on our way up to Stamford. When I first visited The Ames Fan Club, I had noticed Chris Fontaine had visited this familiar Ames and all of the sudden I kept telling myself that I needed to go up there and snag some pics of the building myself before someone takes the building.

After using the AFC store locator, I found that this was the third Ames located right off Rt. 8 aside from the others in Torrington, Naugatuck, and this Seymour location which are still vacant and feature Ames storefronts still intact.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

The rather bizarre overlook to the Tri-Town Plaza, I was darting around the plaza taking my pictures when I found around 15 minutes later Seymour's boys in blue were surveying the plaza...
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

The plaza signage seen from Route 8 going Southbound. This rather trafficy plaza was shared by a cinema, a Subway, and a rather popular Dunkin' Donuts to name a few.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Complete gallery of my visit to an abandoned Ames in Seymour. This also serves as an update to Fontaine's visit.

http://ccsu.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2013055&l=9aa38&id=48807574
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

store215

any idea of what was in the space to the right of Ames? A grocery store maybe?

XISMZERO

I've discovered it was an Adams Supermarket. Most Adams have fallen or merged with A&P/Foodmart and IGA I believe.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

beachgal26

Wow!  Thanks again for the great pics, Nicholas.  It is hard to believe that the store is still in such fantastic condition and seems untouched by time or weather.  It is also interesting (to me) that they did not have the traditional lighted sign but opted for a nicer painted one that really fit in with the appearance of the shopping center.

BTW - when did this store close!

:) :) :) :) :) :)  :) :) :) :)

consumerismfreak

I have some info on what was there before the Ames. It was an Ames like store called "Kings" I remember little about it, but I remeber that the Toy department where in the same place when it was Kings and Ames.

XISMZERO

Update: 3-11-2007.

Nothing's changed at all. All signs are still up, tenant next door still vacant. The only difference is some "No solicitation" signs inside the windows. It's like this one's trapped in time. Dunkin' Donuts in the plaza just had a massive interior renovation though...
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

UPDATE: 6-25-2008. Signs and everything still intact. One of the last few former Ames left in Connecticut.

Editorial comment: I don't think this one is ever going down...
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

C. Fontaine

Nice update!  I agree, this one isn't going anywhere soon.

standa

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
I've discovered it was an Adams Supermarket. Most Adams have fallen or merged with A&P/Foodmart and IGA I believe.

Wasn't the market a Big Y, before it moved to Ansonia?

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
...I agree, this one isn't going anywhere soon.

Seymour location still vacant. Taken 2-14-2009.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82