Main Menu

Joy Stores

Started by BillyGr, July 02, 2006, 11:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyGr

Anyone remember these?

They had 3 stores (Rensselaer, Glens Falls and Clifton Park) and around 10 Toys R (are) (for) Joy stores at one time.

Here's a price tag I found - nothing fancy (they never got scanners up till closing in the early-mid 90's, so they used the dept code (the 16) and price - the rest is the date of tagging (7-91 here).

When they were closing, I found a few items (like towels) with tags dated x-85!

Toys4Joy

BillyGr, you seem to remember a lot of stuff.  I am from the Albany area so i know all of these places as well.  We could probably talk for hours.  Yeah, I went to all of the Joy department stores.  Toy's for Joy, hence my name, was my favorite store back in the day.  I would buy Ghostbusters figures from there.  I remember the Toy's 4 Joy located right next to the Joy's in Clifton Park.  From what I remember, the one in Rensselaer was the last one to remain.  I believe they left maybe around 1993?  I don't remember any other Toys for Joy locations, except for the one off Altamont Ave. (Shoparama Plaze I believe).

BillyGr

Only sometimes ;)

Not sure on the toy store closing order, but of the "regular" stores, Glens Falls was last (Rensselaer was about 6-12 months prior, with Clifton Park being the first one to close.
I do know that the toy store in Rensselaer closed before the main store and they consolidated some toys back into the regular store.

Didn't know about the Toys one in Rotterdam that you mentioned (never was up that way until later on).

Along with the toy stores by each regular store, there were toys only stores in Albany (across from Westgate, what is now Hannaford) and Latham (corner of 155 & 9 - was later Office Max, now vacant) - I'm sure there were others also (I just guessed about 10 in the first post, not being certain).

Toys4Joy

Across from Westgate...I remember a toy store being there but was that a toys for joy or a duane's toyland?

BillyGr

Duane's was in Westgate - on the side - I think it's now a health club - right next to the Eckerd(Rite Aid)

TFJ was across the street