May's Discount Stores

Started by amesman, June 25, 2006, 06:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amesman

Now, as we all know, Dutchess Mall in Fishkill had a May's Department store at the north end, which later became Jamesway. However, what you probably didn't know(and what I just found out) is that it wasn't the May Department store which evolved into Filene's, Kaufmann's, etc, but rather a small NYC chain of discount stores. Fishkill was the only upstate location, and others were in Brooklyn, Levittown, Massapequa, Glen Oaks, Jamaica(Queens), and Woodmere. Now, I've posted a link to a commercial from YouTube, of a set of commercials for May Discount stores. At the end of  both, they show a shot of the Dutchess Mall store. You will be able to recognize the greenhouse type thing, and the canopy entrance, etc. Now, I do not know if the other stores looked like this as well, but we all sure know that the Fishkill one did. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxWbB7P8Ze0&eurl=

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
Now, as we all know, Dutchess Mall in Fishkill had a May's Department store at the north end, which later became Jamesway. However, what you probably didn't know(and what I just found out) is that it wasn't the May Department store which evolved into Filene's, Kaufmann's, etc, but rather a small NYC chain of discount stores. Fishkill was the only upstate location, and others were in Brooklyn, Levittown, Massapequa, Glen Oaks, Jamaica(Queens), and Woodmere. Now, I've posted a link to a commercial from YouTube, of a set of commercials for May Discount stores. At the end of  both, they show a shot of the Dutchess Mall store. You will be able to recognize the greenhouse type thing, and the canopy entrance, etc. Now, I do not know if the other stores looked like this as well, but we all sure know that the Fishkill one did. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxWbB7P8Ze0&eurl=

what kind of a chain was may's similair to? they where only around NYC right?

amesman

They were a discount store in and around NYC. Fishkill, as I've stated above was the only upstate NY store. I could be wrong about the chain not being connected to the May Dpeartment store company, but that's the impression I'm getting.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
They were a discount store in and around NYC. Fishkill, as I've stated above was the only upstate NY store. I could be wrong about the chain not being connected to the May Dpeartment store company, but that's the impression I'm getting.

somethign tells me its not connected to may's department stores

store215

Where does the whole "May Company" (Now Macy's/Federated) owning the building still come in to play?

amesman

I have no idea to be honest.

scottw73

I found a 1974 Mays commercial on youtube.  At the end it shows a picture of the former location in the Dutchess Mall in Fishkill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mI_a_AvKA&mode=related&search=