Official Caldor to Stew's Newington topic

Started by XISMZERO, May 17, 2006, 09:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XISMZERO

For anyone whose been on The Berlin Turnpike in Newington, Connecticut (right on the Berlin border), you might know there?s Connecticut?s last remaining empty original built-from-the-ground-up Caldor building. For seven years, following the chain?s closure, the building has seen no further occupants aside from nearby locations who?ve used the property for storage and/or space. After years of failed opportunities, 2005 saw hope for the site as there have been concrete plans (pardon the pun) to finally make something of the empty building. Local Connecticut grocery chain "Stew Leonard's" plans to open another "fresh farm market" right on the old location soon making Caldor's site no more.

This thread is dedicated to that familiar vacant building that has been plaguing business on the Turnpike for years but also serving up memories to those who?ve shopped at Caldor in the past. Currently, Stew Leonard?s construction has since decimated the building?s original design and is slowly transforming into something grand. Even if you?ve never been there, you?ll be able to watch the transformation process with me as I proclaim this project.

For any pictures from earlier this year, you'll find gobs of them on the Caldor topic posted by myself and others. Also look at my Newington Fair album (located in my signature) which displays some later pre-construction photos of the site.

If anyone lives in and/or around Connecticut and would like to contribute, go right ahead! I will be continuing with weekly (and sometimes bi-weekly) updates. Enjoy!
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

I drove by today after my Math final at 9:30-ish and here's what I was greeted to. It would appear they're gutting the building right now from the east doors now completely torn away.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Signature "Welcome" sign and white-grid ceiling revealed.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

After a month of no work on the building, I came across the Berlin Turnpike and found them tearing away the building's shell.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

TRU7536

As of june 9th, the whole front wall in completly gone! i drove by yesturday, the Caldor sign is now been taken off the wall, the inside has benn gutted out, i will try to take pics!

XISMZERO

Here's some of the faces of the building...
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

d_fife

construction of the old caldor as of july 20, 2006 and it says coming soon stew leonard's

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
construction of the old caldor as of july 20, 2006 and it says coming soon stew leonard's

more of the old caldor

d_fife

more of the old caldor

sign

d_fife

more of the old caldor

sign

stew leonard's construction sign

XISMZERO

Here's what Stew Leonard's looked like shortly after it opened. This was taken in June 2007.

The store has since added a Sleepy's on the far-left side and has also been repainted gray.

I abandoned this thread but I have a full gallery of the metamorphosis on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/10073060@N00/sets/72157600537217621/
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

jmcnamara96

Wow that sweet and you graped those recipe papers on your album i wish i had one

TRU7536

Its so weird to see the "Newington Fair" sign all filled up with store names. Thats never happened in its history until this year.

1. Stew Leonards
2. Toys R Us
3.Sams Club
4. LA Fitness
5. Sleepys

And the color of Stews is different now.

TRU7536

The main sign of the Plaza prior to Sams and LA Fitness. Xismzero, i took this from your flicker page.

TRU7536

The 2010 Signage with all stores at the plaza. First time in its 16 year history all slots are filled. Credit to "Kaizenverdants" from his flicker page.

TRU7536

Here is the former Service Merchandise/Stickleys, now LA Fitness

Caldor1999

Here is Caldor years before it got boarded up. I dont know if this picture was taken when it was still open or after it closed, The tinted windows make it hard to tell
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory