store hour questiosn

Started by d_fife, May 13, 2006, 09:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

how come Toys r us, best buy, dick's and those category killers and indoor malls do not open until 10 am?? while K-mart and Target open at 8 am and wal-mart opens at 8 am and kohl's opens at 8 am, but at 10 am on sundays as K-mart and target open at 8 am and wal-mart opens at 7 am on sundays. Why the difference. I do not know if it is competitve or not. bad part is thta it could slow you down in your shopping since 10 am is almost near lunch time. marshalls opens at 9:30 am, and ames and bradlees did.

In RI, stores on sunday open at noon and around paramus nj they are closed on sunday.

XISMZERO

It's all speculation but if I were to guess I would say it's for financial reasons stores open later. Most speciality stores (for instance an electronics big box like Best Buy) open at 10PM probably because the lack of people and slow customer influx early mornings because most are usually at school or work. Companies lose out bigtime when they have a bunch of employees and electrical systems running when no one is shopping.

Department/essential stores like Ames, which opened at 9:30 (and 8:30 on Tuesday), open early probably because there's a good chance people will come in because of the more odds and ends to find. Ames, as we know, wasn't as grand as a Wal-Mart or Target which might explain why they didn't open at the crack of dawn. It could also be because times have changed and people are depending more on big box department stores.

Now, these department stores like Target and Wal-Mart open bright and early (7 I think) because they are direct competitors (instead of the Ames Vs. Caldor Vs. Bradlees Vs. WalMart of a decade ago) who probably have more resources (which includes employees) to open earlier. In a newer age where people depend on big box stores like those above, it's only wise to open early and close late to make the store as convenient and accessible as possible.

In essence, I'd say stores with more to offer customers has more business being open as opposed to smaller, speciality stores matched with when business is most beneficial to the company (for instance coffee chains open very early, Dunkin Donuts at 5AM) which is why stores like Wal-Mart and Target open so early and places like Best Buy open at 10.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

d_fife

but home depot and lowe's open at 6 or 7 am, why because of the contractors?

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
how come Toys r us, best buy, dick's and those category killers and indoor malls do not open until 10 am?? while K-mart and Target open at 8 am and wal-mart opens at 8 am and kohl's opens at 8 am, but at 10 am on sundays as K-mart and target open at 8 am and wal-mart opens at 7 am on sundays. Why the difference. I do not know if it is competitve or not. bad part is thta it could slow you down in your shopping since 10 am is almost near lunch time. marshalls opens at 9:30 am, and ames and bradlees did.

In RI, stores on sunday open at noon and around paramus nj they are closed on sunday.

well 10 am is so old fashioned and the stores opening then are missing out on people getting something on the way to work.

I found an outdated ad for Kmarts in news archives google and they used to be open from 10 am to 10 pm mon-sat and 11 am to 6 pm on sundays and they changed that. When you get to 10, then that is late. I hate how when I am on trips, for stores that open at 10 or later, I have to accomidate those hours with getting my stops done and it slows me down.

dmx10101

Wel from working at Kohls, I can tell you its because there isn't much business that those times. We are open 8-10 Mon-Sat. the majority of business is from 10-9 and anything before 10am there are just a handful of people in the store. It barely justifies the payroll and electricity, to open at 8 am.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by dmx10101
Wel from working at Kohls, I can tell you its because there isn't much business that those times. We are open 8-10 Mon-Sat. the majority of business is from 10-9 and anything before 10am there are just a handful of people in the store. It barely justifies the payroll and electricity, to open at 8 am.

*Nods* That answer satisfies me. Also have to look at what your competition is doing. If their store opens at 8am, it would be foolish to not open at 8am as well, especially for Supermarkets.

Loki

A big reason could be what was considered traditional shopping times. If anyone remembers blue laws, I think the only one we have left in CT is about the hours/days that alcohol can be sold, but there was a time in the early '70s when only grocery stores and pharmacys could be open on Sundays and they had to close by noon and you could only buy cetain items, like basic foods and medications. There is a famous lawsuit in Connecticut where Caldor began opening on Sundays and Bedding Barn sued them to try to make them stop (not sure why Bedding Barn would do this, Caldor wasn't really a competitor of theirs) and this is what led to the dropping of the Sunday ban, though out of tradition, I guess, most stores limit their Sunday hours. I know in northern New Jersey blue laws on Sunday sales are still in effect in a lot of towns.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Loki
A big reason could be what was considered traditional shopping times. If anyone remembers blue laws, I think the only one we have left in CT is about the hours/days that alcohol can be sold, but there was a time in the early '70s when only grocery stores and pharmacys could be open on Sundays and they had to close by noon and you could only buy cetain items, like basic foods and medications. There is a famous lawsuit in Connecticut where Caldor began opening on Sundays and Bedding Barn sued them to try to make them stop (not sure why Bedding Barn would do this, Caldor wasn't really a competitor of theirs) and this is what led to the dropping of the Sunday ban, though out of tradition, I guess, most stores limit their Sunday hours. I know in northern New Jersey blue laws on Sunday sales are still in effect in a lot of towns.

yeah, no stores are open on sunday around paramus. but in the bj's you can only buy certain items.