Main Menu

google/ebay

Started by jbarn02, May 09, 2006, 09:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbarn02

Does anyone know what happened to all of the ames cash registers and the support equipment that went with it?

Also, Chris F. where did you get the box of the ames receipt tape from, and is there a place where you can find/get more?

C. Fontaine

I'm not sure where the registers went.  I got the register tape out of a dumpster behind my local Ames as the liquidators were clearing out whatever fixtures weren't bought after Ames actually closed.

Caldor1999

someitmes they just leave the stuff in the store hears a pic of the cash  regstaers uslay the stuff gets throwen out or sold
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

jbarn02

jbarn02

jbarn02

Ames#1171

I think the cash registers were sold.  My local Value City Department Store's registiers are identical to Ames registers, in fact I would SWEAR that those are in fact the registers from Ames.  Even the software program they run is identical to the one that we ran at Ames (I could probably run a register there with out any training because thats what we used @ Ames), and the reciepts print the same to, the just say Value City.
Ames" border="0

C. Fontaine

QuoteOriginally posted by jbarn02

No problem, just send me and email!  I bought all the labels and stuff during the fixture sale for next to nothing.  I only have a few rolls.  Same with the price gun and holster that goes with it.  I actually found the scanner about a year later in the rear next to the building while taking pictures, surprisingly it still works... I only have that one box of register tape but the box is completely full and was unopened when I found it.  Other things like that I have are,

Ink tag remover,
Used A+ employee cards,
and a Dennison Mark II Pistol, I think it is used for putting those little plastic ties on clothing.

jbarn02

C. Fontaine

c.fontaine@charter.net

jbarn02

whip22

You're correct, Value City did get the registers. At least some of them. Carol Brenner, former Corporate Training Manager at the home office ended up at Value City and she told me about them. Should have been a breeze for her to write the training manuals!

QuoteOriginally posted by Ames#1171
I think the cash registers were sold.  My local Value City Department Store's registiers are identical to Ames registers, in fact I would SWEAR that those are in fact the registers from Ames.  Even the software program they run is identical to the one that we ran at Ames (I could probably run a register there with out any training because thats what we used @ Ames), and the reciepts print the same to, the just say Value City.

jbarn02

jbarn02

I know alot about the older IBM 4683 and 4694 cash register systems does anyone know where I can pick one up fairly cheap? Also does the person who formally worked at the ames home office in the IT know what I need to study to get a good job in this field.

Dan22342001

Most of the Cash Registers and computers were leased, when the stores closed they were shipped to various warehouses. If you want to get into IT for retail just the basic computer skills will get you in, a cash registers is basically  a computer. Get A+(not ames A+) certified. NCR is always hiring in the retail service field. Then you could service Wal Mart.

jbarn02

NJxxJon

check google, froggle, ebay....
JN

jbarn02

Guys, I was able to get on ebay a genuine Ames POS register used in the stores for like 150.00 shipped and The IBM registers used in the hills stores for an additional 150.00 shipped. So 300.00 for both registers. Does anyone have any of the old training manuals for either one of the registers you can send me. Thanks.

Anonymous

I think the Siemens Nixdorf registers went back to the leasing company. The 4694s that were part of the Hills acquisition probably did as well.

Borders also runs the same software as Ames did at the time of closing.

The IBM 3683s ran an early version of the "IBM Retail Store System" before being converted to General Sales Application (to match the 4683s installed during the Zayre acquisition) in the mid 1990s.  Everything was upgraded for Y2K to the Siemens Nixdorf registers.

Prior to the IBMs, most stores had Sweda mechanical registers that punched an optical tape for IBM mainframes!